Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

TABLETS???

• Please log in to reply
2346 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:57 AM

Interesting how you guys are really big on the battery replacement thing. It has never been an issue for me both on tablets and phones. I think over the past 13 years since I started carrying around a cell phone, I think I only replaced a battery on one of those phones.

Even though the battery may be the weakest link, it will still takes a few years for the battery to start screwing up and usually by that time it will be time upgrade to a new tablet.

I wasn't planning on upgrading to a new tablet every year. I tend to keep things if they work. But, you have a point for those who do plan to upgrade each year.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:02 AM

There must be a problem when your son doesn't want one.

Can not swap battery when first one runs down = Strike one.
No keyboard = Strike two
Small screen = strike 2.5

One model left in contention!

Moving on to battery's being replaceable.
Laptops have it right, need longer battery life just swap in your spare. There have been Dell models, for example, where you could pull the optical drive and plug in a second battery so you didn't even have to swap.

We serviced a lot of Ipods for bad battery life, everything else was good, just a bad battery. Easy swap would have been nice.

About my son, you hit the nail on the head with your second reason. He has no use for keyboards that take up half the screen. When I got the Droid X, he got the Droid Mobil or Two, the next one down in price because it had a slide out keyboard. At the time he told me that the keyboard on the Droid X was gonna annoy me and it does.

Rich

#143 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:12 AM

That's true but not a good comparison, as Vista was the "Edsel" of operating systems. :D

At the end, Vista was very solid and performing as well as XP was on the same hardware. They tightened up a lot of things with 7.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#144 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:13 AM

My Dell laptop is just about 1 year old and I need to get a new battery, because the current one won't hold a charge for more than an hour.

My wife and I both gave up on using just the batteries on our Lenovo laptops. We both plug them into house power when using them. I've got a 17" and she's got the more expensive model, can't remember which is which, the Thinkpad or the Ideapad, but hers has a small screen and the battery won't hold a charge long enough for her to use when she is working at home. Not a problem for us when we're home, but she travels a lot and she carries a long extension cord with her. Her company supplies her with the laptop and she's gotten a couple of new batteries, but they just don't hold up.

Rich

#145 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

How much do you leave it pluged into AC....this is the usual cause

I don't know if things have changed much regarding chargers, but there were only two types when I was working. The trickle charger, which you can leave the battery plugged into and the cascade charger which just "cascades" juice into the battery and gets it back up and running very quickly. They have to be unplugged or the batteries get destroyed. I have no idea what charging technology is used today, but if it's a trickle charger, it doesn't matter much if you leave it on a lot.

Rich

#146 OFFLINE   jackm

jackm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

I just recently got the Samsung Galaxy Table through Verizon...and I love it - using Verizon Vcast - I have been able to download music and video's...with no problem...one question I can't seem to find out - can you put the various video's in specific folders. Any help would be appreciated and how to do that. Thanks

#147 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

I've heard that, but I've also always kept my laptops plugged in. I'm not going to reach behind the docking station and unplug it every day, just to have to plug it back in a few hours later (do people do that?).

Again, if it uses trickle charger technology, which means it gets a small amount of juice over a long period of time, it shouldn't matter. Unless you know for sure that you have a battery that will discharge completely time after time and take a full charge time after time, I'd keep on doing what you're doing. Those full discharge batteries cost a small fortune, by the way. They are used in golf carts and forklifts. The first time I ordered a set of six for my scooter I could not believe the cost. Neither could my boss.:)

Rich

#148 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

At the end, Vista was very solid and performing as well as XP was on the same hardware. They tightened up a lot of things with 7.

I can find you 100 IT and networking folks that would strongly dispute that statement, but that adds little to this thread topic.. ;)

Again, if it uses trickle charger technology, which means it gets a small amount of juice over a long period of time, it shouldn't matter. Unless you know for sure that you have a battery that will discharge completely time after time and take a full charge time after time, I'd keep on doing what you're doing.

Agreed.

The new line of laptop and other mobile devices often feature new battery technology that no longer is impacted by "memory" issues....they can charge all day long.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#149 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I bring mine everywhere... well, everywhere at home... well, everywhere but the bathroom... that just isn't sanitary, IMO! :nono:

I do however find that ever since some fellow posters (from the iPad thread here on DBSTalk) helped me set up my E-mail the way I wanted it, I have been using the iPad to do the bulk of my E-mail, and have been in the middle of several conversations these past few days.

I'm not sure you're looking at things the right way?! :confused:

Pretty much everything you can do with your smart-phone, you can do with a tablet, netbook, laptop, or desktop. The difference is HOW you use it, and the convenience of how you're able to use it. My iPad does not replace my smart-phone, nor would a smart-phone replace my iPad.

The only thing my iPad SORTA replaces... is my computer. Aside from the fact that I'm currently in the process of trying to organize my files (no small task when you have as much music as I do, and I'm trying to add comprehensive information to the files, etc.), I simply haven't used my computer. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'll need to bring home work, but as far as personal stuff goes, the iPad has replaced my computer for my daily computing activities.

EVERYONE who has seen my iPad and played with it wants one. Of those people, everyone who wanted one BEFORE they played with my iPad wants one even more now... and that's just the people who have seen it. Honestly, I can't think of a single person I know who doesn't WANT one...

Apparently your son and I don't run in the same circles! ;)

If you can't figure out what you'd do with it, I'm not sure a tablet is for you.

When the iPad first came out, I thought it was cool, but over time, I came up with a ton of ways in I would use it. After getting it, I've come up with even more ways, and I'm still learning new stuff every day.

The people I mentioned above, they're the same way. They don't have to be convinced, they are very much aware of WHY they want one... no convincing necessary.

Tablets aren't cheap, and money doesn't grow on trees. A few years down the line, you may come up with reasons to want one, and the tablets will probably be better (and perhaps cheaper) by then.

~Alan

Thanx for taking the time to write all that, Alan. You've got my feelings down pretty well. I can't imagine a tablet replacing my computers, but I can see it performing the tasks I do with my Droid in a much better way. That small screen is a PITA. And that's the biggest screen I could find in a smart phone. Perhaps if I had a job such as the one I had I would find more uses for it. (Nah, if I hadn't quit when I did, the stress would have killed me. No joke.)

But thinking about that job, I could have taken a tablet to the meetings I was forced to attend daily and it would have been a big help.

There's a huge difference in not "having" to work (as opposed to being out of work and looking for a job) and working. I get that and can see the advantages of a tablet for that scenario. But, fortunately, I don't have to work and I'm always around my computers, so that need isn't there.

That doesn't stop me from wanting one. My heart is still filled with lust and when that happens, I usually get what I want. I just want to see how this all shakes out.

I started this thread in the hopes that it would remain active for a long period of time, enough for me to form a strong opinion on which tablet to purchase. In no way do I mean to disparage the tablets.

Rich

#150 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:08 AM

Thanx for taking the time to write all that, Alan. You've got my feelings down pretty well. I can't imagine a tablet replacing my computers, but I can see it performing the tasks I do with my Droid in a much better way.

In contrast...I can't see spending the money for a tablet unless it provides new capabilities, which would include reducing the need to use a laptop during business and personal travel.

It would have to be able to do at least a respectable job of being able to interact with MS Office content. It appears than at least the Android line is going to accomplish this effectively on several fronts.

I suspect its no accident they are adding more and more horsepower, as well as connectivity to these to do much more than things people woudl do on a smartphone. It doesn't have to emulate everything I do on a laptop, but it needs to do much more than the iPad2 can do towards that kind of functionality and connects to printers and other devices. Right now, the iPad is an oversize iPhone in most regards.

In my case....without a real use purpose...it moves to the "optional toy" category.

#151 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:24 AM

In contrast...I can't see spending the money for a tablet unless it provides new capabilities, which would include reducing the need to use a laptop during business and personal travel.

It would have to be able to do at least a respectable job of being able to interact with MS Office content. It appears than at least the Android line is going to accomplish this effectively on several fronts.

I suspect its no accident they are adding more and more horsepower, as well as connectivity to these to do much more than things people woudl do on a smartphone. It doesn't have to emulate everything I do on a laptop, but it needs to do much more than the iPad2 can do towards that kind of functionality and connects to printers and other devices. Right now, the iPad is an oversize iPhone in most regards.

In my case....without a real use purpose...it moves to the "optional toy" category.

And I'd like that "optional toy" to be a bit cheaper, say $400 to $450, which fits the Acer tablet, I think.

Rich

#152 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

And I'd like that "optional toy" to be a bit cheaper, say $400 to $450, which fits the Acer tablet, I think.

Rich

Agree.

I don't see these as laptop replacements so much as having enough capability overlap to occasionally use them for business/personal travel.

Even at the lower price, they cost too much not to be having a purpose beyond browsing the web, reading an eBook, or some other simple purpose.

I'm glad to see the Androids getting the leapfrog horsepower, memory expansion, and more open connectivity. That can facilitate applications doing oh-so-much-more than offered on the tablet market to date. It'll also help me reach and find my wallet. :D

#153 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:30 AM

+1. That is my biggest beef with they Ipad (which I otherwise really like), you can do what you are describing via 3rd party apps (ie DocsToGo) but the entire process is cumbersome without a real file system, IMO.

I'm hoping that my tablet can easily complement my laptop so that I don't have to haul the laptop everywhere. The Ipad ca do that, but not without far too many workarounds.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#154 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

About my son, you hit the nail on the head with your second reason. He has no use for keyboards that take up half the screen. When I got the Droid X, he got the Droid Mobil or Two, the next one down in price because it had a slide out keyboard. At the time he told me that the keyboard on the Droid X was gonna annoy me and it does.

Rich

Are you speaking of the Swype keyboard? I love the thing (although I am using the latest beta not the stock). Amazed at how it works and how quickly I can type on it.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#155 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

I would like to hear more on this Nook Color root. This probably wouldn't replace a tablet for me (or it might) but I like using things for something other than their intended purpose :D I'm curious as to what it unlocks for you and what all you use it for.

The nook color rooted is a tablet. It's amazing actually for the cost perspective. $249 and you get a tablet that you can install gingerbread on with tablet cusomizations. At this time you cann't get HC for it but really it is amazing. I have one done and I love it. I can't decide on what I want to do for a 10" tablet. The main reason I want the 10" is to keep in the living room and use when watching tv or playing games or whatever to look stuff up.

#156 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

You buy a tablet because you want instant access to information. You have that now with other devices but a tablet is fun. It's light and easy to use. You can access the device and apps faster than using a laptop and it has a bigger screen than your phone.

A computer can do anything a tablet can and really so can your phones. The main difference is the experience while doing it.

A Ford Fiesta (good car not a knock) gets you to whever you want to drive to. That drive is different though in say a top end Mustang or Lincoln (depending on driving preferences) and the experience is really what it's all about.

If you want to know what this adds it adds fun. There are things you will start to use it for that you didn't think about as you do with anything. So what it really boils down to for me are the following items.

• What outside options, hardware wise, does it have.
  • Price vs Performance
  • What OS is it running (IE what extra crap has been added on top of the native OS.
  • What negatives can I find about it
  • Price
They're fun and cool and are not made to do more than anything you have now. You just do more of it because it's more fun to do so.

#157 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

Here's a review (with photos) that just came out of the upcoming Acer Android 3.0-based tablet:

http://androidcommun...eview-20110420/

Looks solid from a hardware perspective although my concern would be its weight.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#158 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:53 PM

Perhaps, but one can run Windows 7 on a legacy PC as well - but it also runs very poorly and has limitations to do many things.

It is true that officially there is no documented minumum hardware requirement to deploy the new v3.0 operating system, however, operating system history has repeatedly demonstrated that Android 3 will quickly evolve to operate much better and use the expanded capabilities of next generation hardware. Apps will follow that train.

Android 3 is specifically optimized to operate (and take advantage of the features) on the 1GHz Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor with a minimum of 16 GB of internal memory, featured in virtually all the next-generation Android 3-based tablets.

K-mart tires work on a Mercedes, but you won't find many people operating their cars with them for good reason. Android 3 will be no different in that scenario.

Ok first off HC is becoming more optimized to operate on the Nvidia chip because more manufacturers are using it. Right now it doesn't use the dual core effectively if at all. It's coming in a new version of HC which will be patched.

I understand your concept of why it would be better but comparing it to windows is not accurate. Windows is full of crap because they want it to be compatible with crap. You can install linux on an older machine and it will have amazing performance. This is due to the kernel being compiled with only things you need. This is how android OS is done. This is why when you read about android os you hear about how custom roms are dominate. They do that because people pull even more crap out of the kernels.

This won't always be the case but I can guarantee that the Nook will run HC without issues. Will it be as fast? No because the processer in it isn't as fast, without overclocking.

I get that most people won't want to, or think they won't want to, install a custom ROM but it's a huge factor in buying options for a lot of android users. Once you really get into it I bet it will for you as well.

#159 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:59 PM

Are you speaking of the Swype keyboard? I love the thing (although I am using the latest beta not the stock). Amazed at how it works and how quickly I can type on it.

I don't know and he doesn't either. We bought our phones in December and all he was interested in was the best phone he could get with an actual keyboard that slides out from the back of the phone. Sorry.

Rich

#160 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

You buy a tablet because you want instant access to information. You have that now with other devices but a tablet is fun. It's light and easy to use. You can access the device and apps faster than using a laptop and it has a bigger screen than your phone.

A computer can do anything a tablet can and really so can your phones. The main difference is the experience while doing it.

A Ford Fiesta (good car not a knock) gets you to whever you want to drive to. That drive is different though in say a top end Mustang or Lincoln (depending on driving preferences) and the experience is really what it's all about.

If you want to know what this adds it adds fun. There are things you will start to use it for that you didn't think about as you do with anything. So what it really boils down to for me are the following items.

• What outside options, hardware wise, does it have.
  • Price vs Performance
  • What OS is it running (IE what extra crap has been added on top of the native OS.
  • What negatives can I find about it
  • Price
They're fun and cool and are not made to do more than anything you have now. You just do more of it because it's more fun to do so.

That's what I'm looking for! Good post!

Rich

spam firewall