Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR transfer to pc hard drive

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hanover

hanover

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

I need to transfer my HD DVR recordings to some external device or even my pc. Is there a way to do tis?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:19 AM

I need to transfer my HD DVR recordings to some external device or even my pc. Is there a way to do tis?

no
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Using a video capture card, sure.

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

Since all video is encrypted on the hard drive, there is NO way, absolutely no way to simply copy it off.

The ONLY way to do it, is to play the recording, and instead of connecting the DVR to a television, connect it to a HDMI capture card (about $200 for the PC) that will then capture the playback to a hard drive.

Then the video will be saved in a non-encrypted format. Of course this takes a lot of time and ERNOURMOUS amounts of disk space, as the video is most likely saved uncompressed. You can of course re-encode (and edit out the commercials) the video afterwards to DivX or h.264, or some other compatible video format.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 April 2011 - 11:26 AM

Since all video is encrypted on the hard drive, there is NO way, absolutely no way to simply copy it off.

The ONLY way to do it, is to play the recording, and instead of connecting the DVR to a television, connect it to a HDMI capture card (about $200 for the PC) that will then capture the playback to a hard drive.

Then the video will be saved in a non-encrypted format. Of course this takes a lot of time and ERNOURMOUS amounts of disk space, as the video is most likely saved uncompressed. You can of course re-encode (and edit out the commercials) the video afterwards to DivX or h.264, or some other compatible video format.

What capture card works with the DVR's HDMI/HDCP output ?!

#6 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 06:31 PM

What capture card works with the DVR's HDMI/HDCP output ?!

None...you cannot copy from HDMI, it has HDCP copy protection. I have the Hauppauge HD PVR capture device...(about 200 bucks on Amazon) it connects to the Component video outputs and the optical output of the DVR and captures the video as it plays in HD on a computer (you need a fairly fast processor and graphics) using the included arcsoft capture software...then you can burn it as an AVCHD to a DVD disc or if its too large you can save it as an AVCHD to your hard drive after editing and setting chapters and menu if desired and burn it to a bluray blank if you have a bluray burner. You can get about an hour of video in 1080i with DD 5.1 sound format onto a double layer blank DVD. It works very well...unless you get a hiccup in the playback on the DVR..as happens from time to time...then you have to scrap the recording and start over from the beginning...if it does it again then its got a glitch on the hard drive on the DVR, youre stuck unless they rerun the program....that happened to me with a Stone Temple Pilots concert recording, but thankfully they reran the program and it recorded fine that time with no glitch.

Edited by dtrell, 16 April 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

I thought maartena got something new ;).

#8 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

I thought maartena got something new ;).

me too...id love to see a video capture card that takes IN hdmi and will save it...

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,600 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:57 AM

me too...id love to see a video capture card that takes IN hdmi and will save it...

Hollywood won't allow it.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

I would like to hear from maartena itself ...

#11 OFFLINE   dtrell

dtrell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:05 AM

Hollywood won't allow it.

i know they wont..hence HDCP...thats why i know of no capture card with an HDMI in...

#12 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

i know they wont..hence HDCP...thats why i know of no capture card with an HDMI in...

Some misinformation here. There is a card, Hauppauge Colussus that has HDMI in. I have it and it works very well, and I'm not a computer expert either.
Here's a link to the AVS thread on it, also check out the thread to the Hauppage 1212 stand alone capture card.

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1294938

#13 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,581 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:08 PM

Some misinformation here. There is a card, Hauppauge Colussus that has HDMI in. I have it and it works very well, and I'm not a computer expert either.
Here's a link to the AVS thread on it, also check out the thread to the Hauppage 1212 stand alone capture card.

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1294938

That information says it only accepts non encrypted shows up to 1080i. All of the recordings from DIRECTV are encrypted and require HDCP.

Do you use this with DIRECTV recordings?

#14 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

That information says it only accepts non encrypted shows up to 1080i. All of the recordings from DIRECTV are encrypted and require HDCP.

Do you use this with DIRECTV recordings?

Yes, I use the component output and optical audio output from the dvr to the card. I also read that sometimes the HDMI output will work as well for certain programs but I can't verify that myself since I just stick with the component side of it.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

The only scenario that is guaranteed to work via HDMI is OTA recordings, since they are not encrypted..anything else that works will be hit or miss. I'm pretty sure all premium movie channels are encrypted so they should not work via HDMI to a capture device.

#16 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

Like others have said, the Hauppage HD PVR device is your best bet for this. I have had one for a few years and love it, I take the bitrate down to about an hour and 15 minutes of 1080i video/DD5.1 on a single layer DVD-R with acceptable results, although everyone's acceptable is different. You can always use dual layer DVDs, blu ray blanks, or media server software if you want to really crank up the bitrate.

#17 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:00 PM

I would like to hear from maartena itself ...

Yeah they are right. HDMI won't work because any such card probably won't be allowed by "the industry" to do the digital handshake required for the HDMI/HDPC output.

You didn't have to wait for me either, I am not "all knowing" in these things. :D

That said, a Component-HD capture card should work.

Something like this one:

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0360161

Or, some of the previously suggested models from Hauppauge.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

Yeah they are right. HDMI won't work because any such card probably won't be allowed by "the industry" to do the digital handshake required for the HDMI/HDPC output.

You didn't have to wait for me either, I am not "all knowing" in these things. :D

That said, a Component-HD capture card should work.

Something like this one:

http://www.microcent...duct_id=0360161

Or, some of the previously suggested models from Hauppauge.

Ahhh, I did expect big news from you ... :)

BTW, it is HDCP ;) We usually mistyping it.

#19 OFFLINE   djb61230

djb61230

AllStar

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

There is the HDFury that can break out Hdmi to component - its my backup plan if they close the analog hole.
Technical Wizard

Protected By... spam firewall...And...