Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung BD-CD5500

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

I'm not at home but I think I got the model right there.
I'm letting my neighbor borrow my BD player and I'm attempting to help him with something that normally doesn't fail me. I'm trying to run the BD through his laptop via ethernet, shared unlocked in wireless connection properties, but no link showing between the two. I've done it on many other devices before, including an XBOX 360. Is this even possible or do I need to fork money out for that ridiculously priced wireless adapter for it?

-Atti

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

I'm not at home but I think I got the model right there.
I'm letting my neighbor borrow my BD player and I'm attempting to help him with something that normally doesn't fail me. I'm trying to run the BD through his laptop via ethernet, shared unlocked in wireless connection properties, but no link showing between the two. I've done it on many other devices before, including an XBOX 360. Is this even possible or do I need to fork money out for that ridiculously priced wireless adapter for it?

-Atti

I've got three of the 5500s and they do need the wireless adapter. But, my home has Ethernet hard wired thru out and I rarely use anything wireless.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

I've got three of the 5500s and they do need the wireless adapter. But, my home has Ethernet hard wired thru out and I rarely use anything wireless.

Rich

I'd like to wire ethernet through my apartment but eh...Would make life a lot easier to do that.

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'd like to wire ethernet through my apartment but eh...Would make life a lot easier to do that.

I don't like wireless, I think it's got a long way to go before it's truly viable in all respects. That Acer tablet I've got does a crappy job of picking up my router while my Lenovo laptop has no problems with the same router.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

I don't like wireless, I think it's got a long way to go before it's truly viable in all respects. That Acer tablet I've got does a crappy job of picking up my router while my Lenovo laptop has no problems with the same router.

Rich

=/ Well that is pretty lame. I thought it would have it built in, then come to find out I have to purchase something else, and now you're flashing your fancy ethernet house at me. :lol:

I should look into doing a full ethernet connection in the apartment if it's not to much money or hassle.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

=/ Well that is pretty lame. I thought it would have it built in, then come to find out I have to purchase something else, and now you're flashing your fancy ethernet house at me. :lol:

I should look into doing a full ethernet connection in the apartment if it's not to much money or hassle.

I actually did the Ethernet wiring because I wanted to try out MRV. It wasn't very expensive. I think the next Sammy BD players in the lineup all have wireless. But you pay almost as much more for them as you do for the wireless dongle.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:32 PM

I actually did the Ethernet wiring because I wanted to try out MRV. It wasn't very expensive. I think the next Sammy BD players in the lineup all have wireless. But you pay almost as much more for them as you do for the wireless dongle.

Rich

Well that seems pointless then, I might as well just look into wiring the home that way just for the bedroom hook up. I'm looking into putting an extra 360 in that room and a mac mini all connected to one tv and streaming from the cable connection in the living room, the central hub of the house.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Well that seems pointless then, I might as well just look into wiring the home that way just for the bedroom hook up. I'm looking into putting an extra 360 in that room and a mac mini all connected to one tv and streaming from the cable connection in the living room, the central hub of the house.

That's what I'd do. That's a great BD player, by the way.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 08:29 AM

That's what I'd do. That's a great BD player, by the way.

Rich

I love how it has apps on it and the PQ is fantastic.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

I love how it has apps on it and the PQ is fantastic.

I've been watching the whole L&O:SUV series streaming from NF and the first few years were unwatchable on my Roku and Panny BD65. They come in clear as a bell on the Sammy. And only $99!

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

I've been watching the whole L&O:SUV series streaming from NF and the first few years were unwatchable on my Roku and Panny BD65. They come in clear as a bell on the Sammy. And only $99!

Rich

I want to get Netflix, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm only awake at home for 6 hours and that's spent with my family. If I had more time I'd be all over getting it.

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

I want to get Netflix, but I can't bring myself to do it. I'm only awake at home for 6 hours and that's spent with my family. If I had more time I'd be all over getting it.

If time were an issue for me, all I'd have is NF and the cheapest D* package I could get and still have the Yes Network. If not for the Yankees games, I could live without D* or any other provider. I watch far more NF content than I do D* content, discounting the Yankees games.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

If time were an issue for me, all I'd have is NF and the cheapest D* package I could get and still have the Yes Network. If not for the Yankees games, I could live without D* or any other provider. I watch far more NF content than I do D* content, discounting the Yankees games.

Rich

Only reason I have D* is because I work for them. I hardly ever watch it, my wife doesn't really watch it either. Pretty much we play the 360 and play on the internet. If I was home more, I'd probably watch Netflix a lot more just because I can go back and find all the shows I love.

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 May 2011 - 06:50 AM

Only reason I have D* is because I work for them. I hardly ever watch it, my wife doesn't really watch it either. Pretty much we play the 360 and play on the internet. If I was home more, I'd probably watch Netflix a lot more just because I can go back and find all the shows I love.

I could cut the cord...I could...I can't...:lol:

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

I could cut the cord...I could...I can't...:lol:

Rich

:lol: :lol: 2 years ago I probably would have had a time getting rid of it. Good thing I was able to get my wife hooked on video games :D

spam firewall