Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Even transponders missing on 103

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   d0rk

d0rk

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I've got zero signal strength on all of the even transponders for the 103* (s, ca, and cb) satellite. This problem doesn't happen all the time - sometimes there is signal but there hasn't been any signal for the last couple days.

Any idea how I can go about troubleshooting this? Today I compared to a neighbor's signals and they've got 90's where I have 0's - but they don't have a SWM like I do so I don't know if that is meaningful.

Any advice would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

Loss of all even TPs off the 103 is due to the 18 volt 22 kHz tone not fuctioning.
You say you have a SWiM, but not if this is the LNB or a SWM8, SWiM-16, etc.
If it's the LNB, then it needs replacing.
If a SWM8 or other external SWiM, then the cable that connects to the 18 volt 22 kHz port may be bad, or the LNB, etc.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   d0rk

d0rk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

I have a SWiM-16. There is a port for 18v/22khz and I guess I'll be testing that cable tomorrow. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

I have a SWiM-16. There is a port for 18v/22khz and I guess I'll be testing that cable tomorrow. Thanks.

Swap the 13v/22khz & 18v/22khz cables and check to see if your 0 signal readings now move to the odd transponders. If so, that particular cable is suspect, and should be inspected for loose or corroded fittings. If the issue stays with the 103 even transponders, then the problem is either the LNB or SWM 16.

To eliminate the LNB as a possible culprit, grab ANY of the four feeds coming FROM the LNB. Barrel connect this single feed to the cable running DIRECTLY to ONE Non-DVR HD receiver. Complete the Satellite setup to change to a "legacy" install following these steps:

Menu
Parental, Fav’s, & Setup
System Setup
Satellite
Repeat Satellite Setup

Set Dish Type to 03 Slimline-3 (one feedhorn or "eyeball") or 04 Slimline-5 (three feedhorns) and Switch Type: 02 Multiswitch, and complete the setup. Now inspect your signal strengths across all satellites, if all signals are good, then the SWM-16 is your culprit. If you still have issues on the even xponders on the 103, then it is the LNB.

Good Luck!!

#5 OFFLINE   d0rk

d0rk

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Tech. I swapped the cables and the odds dropped to 0. I just ended up replacing all four cables (they all had barrels to extend the line when the dish had to be moved) and now my signals are all good.

Thanks again.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...