Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OT: RG6 cabling....

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:04 AM

OT fellas.....but do you guys care brand on COO when it comes down to cables...

FWIW, I've always used Belden or Commscope whenever I did my houses...

Grrrr......I need to do a homerum myself in my new office space, and I'm getting jawdropping pricing on RG6 QS Plenum.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:43 AM

Grrrr......I need to do a homerum myself in my new office space, and I'm getting jawdropping pricing on RG6 QS Plenum.

Belden is fine but $
Comscope seemed to be $$$$ + I recall problems with fittings. They make a fitting that works well but others I tried did not.

The Quad Shield & Plenum are unnecessary unless there is some other consideration= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Even RG6 Soild Copper (SC) is over done in my opinion but since the line from the sat to the receiver caries voltage...it couldn't hurt esp for long runs.

RG6 Copper Coated Steel is plenty for most applications.

Joe

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

Plenum-rated cable is, and always has been, super expensive. Normal cable uses a neoprene or PVC jacket, both of which can create toxic fumes when burning. For most people, that doesn't matter.

But when you're installing cable in a large public building, especially when the windows don't open and all fresh air comes in through the building's ventalation system, most such buildings require plenum-rated cable. The jacket is designed not to be toxic when burned. But it's at least 5-8 times the cost of regular cable, and it is difficult to work with because the jacket doesn't stretch easily, making it much harder to install the connectors.

For a normal house, plenum-rated cable is unnecessary - if your cable is burning, then your whole house is going to be a loss anyway, and there are lots of ways out and lots of other more important things to worry about.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#4 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

Plenum-rated cable is, and always has been, super expensive. Normal cable uses a neoprene or PVC jacket, both of which can create toxic fumes when burning. For most people, that doesn't matter.

But when you're installing cable in a large public building, especially when the windows don't open and all fresh air comes in through the building's ventalation system, most such buildings require plenum-rated cable. The jacket is designed not to be toxic when burned. But it's at least 5-8 times the cost of regular cable, and it is difficult to work with because the jacket doesn't stretch easily, making it much harder to install the connectors.

For a normal house, plenum-rated cable is unnecessary - if your cable is burning, then your whole house is going to be a loss anyway, and there are lots of ways out and lots of other more important things to worry about.

BZ,
Here is one you will really like.
I only heard this one place but...in industrial / public buildings there is a change in the national fire and or electric code to require non plenum lines that are not in service to be removed. This is to be followed by replacement of in service, non plenum lines.

Ever heard of such?

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 17 April 2011 - 03:27 PM.
typo

#5 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

joe diamond per the NEC, all new runs of cable are to be plenum, and any REPLCEMENT cables are also to be plenum. If doing ANY remodling, plenum, there is NO requiremnet to replace exesting cable JUST TO REPLACE them, UNLESS the local code/inspectors say other wise.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

I would believe that the code advisors would want/recommend that non-plenum-rated cables be removed from such buildings (high-rises and such with closed ventilation systems) once they are no longer needed, and in such buildings, all new cable is supposed to be plenum-rated.

Of course, commercial customers always balk at the high price, unless they've been told ahead of time by the building owners/management that plenum cable will be required. Usually if they know to ask for plenum cable, they know it's going to be expensive, but lots of buildings don't enforce these rules and have buildings full of non-plenum cable, most of it being CAT5 and old CAT1/CAT3 phone.

As always, customer education is a big part of the job.

#7 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Soild Copper, plenum cable = $$$$$$$$,

Still the installations are offered as FREE. There is a lot of non plenum out there.

The costs go up. The pay stays where it is.

I just wonder & mumble.

Joe

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 09:07 AM

I've never used plenum cable in a residential setting; only for commercial, and there aren't any "free" commercial installs. :)

#9 OFFLINE   tvhawaii

tvhawaii

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:05 PM

I've never used plenum cable in a residential setting; only for commercial, and there aren't any "free" commercial installs. :)

I was told that Sportsbars got free installation and up to 3 free HD receivers...is this considered commercial or are you talking about something like MDUs?

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:34 PM

I don't know about their higher end stuff, but Commscope CATV RG6 is tough to work with, full of memory and just a headache.

I'm a fan of Gepco myself, but again, $$$.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

I was told that Sportsbars got free installation and up to 3 free HD receivers...is this considered commercial or are you talking about something like MDUs?

With commercial installs of any kind, it is very, very rare to have a "free" install. With certain types of accounts, DirecTV will pay a base rate for installation, and this might be enough for a "free" install sometimes, but that is pretty rare.

Example: most commercial installs are on buildings with flat roofs, and those buildings aren't owned by the tenants (read: not allowed to mount to the building), so a non-pen mount is needed. A Ka/Ku non-pen mount with mat costs the installer $75 in parts WITHOUT the 8 cinder blocks needed for ballast, or any of the extra labor to get all that extra stuff up to the roof.

Then there are lots of various things that commercial customers always want that are non-standard. Extra remotes, RF remotes, shelves or mounts for the receivers, long HDMI cables, etc. These parts can easily cost hundreds of dollars and sometimes many hours of extra labor.

Bottom line: if a single installer can't do the install himself in 2 hours or less with only the supplied equipment (plus cable and connectors, etc.), then you can forget about "free" for the installation.

Commercial is NOT residential. Those rules do not apply.

#12 OFFLINE   chefwong

chefwong

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

It all worked out. Sadly I only need around 80-120 feet depending on the complexity of the run (it's getting fished through a myriad of holes) --- no rise.

I lucked out, found someone local and picked up a 1K reel of CC RG6 QS CMP for $165

Protected By... spam firewall...And...