Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL, NBC, Versus reach 10-year deal

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   digidan

digidan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

Here's some news we all dreaded, get used to seeing NHL on Versus for a long time to come :mad::mad::mad:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=560238

#2 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:42 PM

Glad to see it. Versus/NBC/Comcast will do a much better Job with the game than ESPN.

Hockey is nothing more than an afterthought for the Mothership.

Never will change.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#3 OFFLINE   blackhawkzone

blackhawkzone

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

i would rather be 1st priority than 5th on espn2

#4 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Yeah, I really don't get the Versus hate. I get the channel, I get it in HD and they care about hockey. Coverage has been improving. So I punch in 603 rather than 206. Honestly I'd rather watch in on Versus and not be bothered by the ESPN ticker all game.

I do hope they take advantage of some of the other NBC stations though for overflow, to show other games, etc.

#5 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

http://www.thestar.c...with-nbc-versus

In a joint announcement Tuesday, the NHL and the NBC Sports Group said the new deal will run through the 2020-21 season. The package is reportedly worth a total of $2 billion.

NBC will remain the exclusive network home for the NHL, and Versus is retaining the major cable rights. The NHL had drawn interest from ESPN, Turner and FOX, but decided to stay where it has been for the past six years since the end of the season-long lockout.

Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#6 OFFLINE   1980ws

1980ws

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationLongwood, Florida

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:01 PM

Makes sense. Versus needs content. No hate here for them either. I actually rarely watch ESPN anymore - I'm more apt to go right to Channels 212,213,215. Not a fan of basketball or the ESPN brand anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:04 PM

Here's some news we all dreaded...

Who's we? The hockey fans I know are happy with this deal (including myself.)

P.S. Why is this in the D* forum?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

Yeah, I really don't get the Versus hate. I get the channel, I get it in HD and they care about hockey. Coverage has been improving. So I punch in 603 rather than 206. Honestly I'd rather watch in on Versus and not be bothered by the ESPN ticker all game.

I do hope they take advantage of some of the other NBC stations though for overflow, to show other games, etc.

but what channels?

Will they pull round 1 and 2 RSN games?

Will VS over flow become temp full time channel for playoff time?

Will cable systems have a VS feed and a VS alt feed?

No way for VS to fit in all the round 2 games.

With they put NHL playoff games on G4? E!? Universal Sports? NHL network ? Syfy? A&E? lifetime? lifetime movie? Chiller? Sleuth? The Weather Channel? USA? CNBC? MSNBC? Bravo? nhl exata on CSN? (but not all areas have a CSN and even them some CSN's don't have the room with the NBA and MLB in the way)

Will ESPN, Turner and FOX now get the olympics as NBC had to pay out big to get the new NHL deal.

the only good thing about pulling round 2 from the RSN is to free up room on indemand for more NBA and MLB games / HD games.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 19 April 2011 - 02:56 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#9 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:18 PM

Who's we? The hockey fans I know are happy with this deal (including myself.)

P.S. Why is this in the D* forum?

Good question, it has been moved to the Sports Programming Forum.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#10 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

did you read they are renaming versus within 90 days?
http://www.chicagotr...0,7969462.story

Any guesses to the new channel name?

Xfinity Sports?
Comcast Sports USA?
NBC Sportschannel?
Cagefighting and Hockey Channel?
ESPN without the dogshows, poker, and X-games?
Future Contract Dispute with DirecTV Sports?

Edited by aa9vi, 19 April 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,199 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:38 PM

did you read they are renaming versus within 90 days?
http://www.chicagotr...0,7969462.story

Any guesses to the new channel name?

Xfinity Sports?
Comcast Sports USA?
NBC Sportschannel?
Cagefighting and Hockey Channel?
Future Contract Dispute with DirecTV Sports?

Comcast Sports Net One
merge Universal Sports (dead as a OTA SUB channel)
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#12 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

but what channels?

With they put NHL playoff games on G4? E!? Universal Sports? NHL network ? Syfy? A&E? lifetime? lifetime movie? Chiller? Sleuth? The Weather Channel? USA? CNBC? MSNBC? Bravo? nhl exata on CSN? (but not all areas have a CSN and even them some CSN's don't have the room with the NBA and MLB in the way)

Will ESPN, Turner and FOX now get the olympics as NBC had to pay out big to get the new NHL deal.

Enquiring minds want to know and they want to know now damnit! :P

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

I don't care so long as the audio for games on Versus will actually be DD 5.1 in the near future.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have no hate for Versus either other than the fact that Comcrap owns Versus. If the NHL moved back to ESPN, I am sure they'd be a very low priority since they carry the NFL, MLB, and NBA. As long as Versus continues to do at least 2 NHL games per week, I am happy. I get most of my hockey from NHL CI, however.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Glad to see it. Versus/NBC/Comcast will do a much better Job with the game than ESPN. Hockey is nothing more than an afterthought for the Mothership.

+1

#16 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Plus twice as many games (100 I think) between both. Hopefully more doubleheaders on Versus. Also hope that the NHL doesn't schedule alot of games on night's Versus has exclusive rights. Lots of games in the previous years have had no tv during that window. Should be better for the playoffs since NHL CI will have telecasts reduced for those who don't wanna pay for it. Glad ESPN didn't get it back they can take the ticker and shove it. Versus has done a cool job adding extra games during the week from regional sports networks and we also have the NHL Network for even more games!

#17 OFFLINE   slapshot1959

slapshot1959

Legend

• Registered
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

but what channels?

the only good thing about pulling round 2 from the RSN is to free up room on indemand for more NBA and MLB games / HD games.

You get the award for the most questions asked in one post.

We'll just have to wait and see but this looks like a positive deal for the hockey fan.
Now all we need is All games in hd. American,Canadian, Mexican whatever!

#18 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said he "couldn't be happier" to renew the relationship and "the promise of what NBC Universal/Comcast is going to be is exciting." He noted the sport of hockey will now be discussed, promoted and celebrated on 20 NBC Universal networks and another 40-plus digital platforms.

the aboe post from the report on nhl.com they state 20 nbc networks doest that mean CSN will be renamed NBC / regional city or something like that

#19 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

when you see the dick ebersol interview, he states 90 days he will rename VS and i think that will include comcast sports net.

#20 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

You should completely forget what Versus was before the Comcast/NBCU merger. Comcast put in their own guy as the CEO of NBCU, but NBC Sports is still run by Dick Ebersol, and Comcast merged Versus into the existing NBC Sports group, meaning old Versus is dead and you're basically getting a brand new sports channel managed by old school NBC Sports people. They just happen to get all of Versus' old contracts (IndyCar, NHL, etc).

spam firewall