Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NHL, NBC, Versus reach 10-year deal

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:19 PM

when you see the dick ebersol interview, he states 90 days he will rename VS and i think that will include comcast sports net.

it's not that easy fox owns 25% of Bay Area Comcast 45%

SportsNet New York has it's own name part owned by Time Warner Cable comcast has 11%

The Mtn.
Mountain West Conference (30%)
Comcast (30%)
CBS Corporation (40%)

Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast part Charter

Comcast Sports Southwest (CSS) likely to be CSN or NBC sports Houston.

CSN Chicago comcast 20% and with the High number of WGN / WCIU games useing the NBC name may hit some road blocks. Also the teams hear pulled out of fox to get control so any thing can happen hear.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

You should completely forget what Versus was before the Comcast/NBCU merger. Comcast put in their own guy as the CEO of NBCU, but NBC Sports is still run by Dick Ebersol, and Comcast merged Versus into the existing NBC Sports group, meaning old Versus is dead and you're basically getting a brand new sports channel managed by old school NBC Sports people. They just happen to get all of Versus' old contracts (IndyCar, NHL, etc).

Thank god. Maybe the Emmy award winning NBC audio mixer will be an influence and they will upgrade the audio on Versus to true DD 5.1.
DTV = Digital Television

#23 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

I'm happy they are going to improve the NHL Network. After reading numerous press releases and articles about this deal,it sounds like Comcast is going to try to make VS more like a ESPN Sports channel.( the goal is probably ESPN like rate charges per sub also )

But for the NHL it could be good for Comcast to promote the sport on all it's channels with ads. Building hype can get casual viewers to watch hockey,the Winter Classic is a great example of building the hype for the telecast.

I hope that the new deal doesn't allow VS another night of exclusive rights-that would suck for all us NHLCI subs

#24 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:18 AM

it's not that easy fox owns 25% of Bay Area Comcast 45%

SportsNet New York has it's own name part owned by Time Warner Cable comcast has 11%

The Mtn.
Mountain West Conference (30%)
Comcast (30%)
CBS Corporation (40%)

Comcast/Charter Sports Southeast part Charter

Comcast Sports Southwest (CSS) likely to be CSN or NBC sports Houston.

CSN Chicago comcast 20% and with the High number of WGN / WCIU games useing the NBC name may hit some road blocks. Also the teams hear pulled out of fox to get control so any thing can happen hear.

All of that may be true, but as far as naming is concerned, those channels will not have a perpetual right to the Comcast name. They use the Comcast brand under license. When that license is up, if NBCU/Comcast wants to change the names of the RSNs, they can. That wouldn't be the sticking point, though. It all depends on which RSNs Comcast has management control over. Either way, it looks like the NHL deal pushes the RSNs mostly out of it, or, at least they are still free to independently negotiate deals for the games that aren't on Vs. or NBC nationally.

#25 OFFLINE   aa9vi

aa9vi

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

The only think I hope Dick does is get rid of those annoying 1/4 screen size advertisements in the middle of play. Do it between plays or between periods... or just make it MUCH MUCH smaller.

I'd also like to see them use VS ALTERNATE more often when exclusive games are going on at the same time. Ebersol could turn around the poor production VS currently has. It's become better over the years, but it still needs work. Maybe I'm biased but Pat Foley does a much better job than the high pitched Emrick calling a game.(Not that I'd want to lose Pat for even 1 Hawks game) I honestly believe he's the best around mixing great play by play and jokes. Too many announcers are as boring as Elmer's paste. Then get rid of Milbury since he's a putz and replace him with Barry Melrose Place. I've actually warmed up to Pierre whatever his name is... that guy knows his stuff and is a pretty good color guy. Get rid of Engblob and throw in some crazy ass ex-defenseman, Bret Hull, or give Roenick a bigger role on the network. Now, that's entertaining.

I just want to see the crew have more spirit and not just be overly cerebral.... Think of how TNT's crew got better with barkley... he's nuts, but funny and entertaining as hell.

Edited by aa9vi, 20 April 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:12 AM

I actually rarely watch ESPN anymore - I'm more apt to go right to Channels 212,213,215. Not a fan of basketball or the ESPN brand anymore.

This.

ESPN just grossly overcovers pro basketball. If you took a time study of all major sports and the amount of time they are covered on SC, PTI, ATH, SR, and on the ESPNR shows and held that relative to their ratings and live gate, you would, I am certain, find that ESPN devotes an amount roughly porportional to each sport based on its popularity. Except the NBA. Hundreds, if not thousands of times more coverage than is warrented for a sport that most Americans simply do not follow.

#27 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:23 AM

This.

ESPN just grossly overcovers pro basketball. If you took a time study of all major sports and the amount of time they are covered on SC, PTI, ATH, SR, and on the ESPNR shows and held that relative to their ratings and live gate, you would, I am certain, find that ESPN devotes an amount roughly porportional to each sport based on its popularity. Except the NBA. Hundreds, if not thousands of times more coverage than is warrented for a sport that most Americans simply do not follow.

It's 2nd only to the NFL in ratings/popularity.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#28 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:02 AM

That is simply not so.

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

That is simply not so.

Ratings charts say otherwise. The NFL obviously dominated the 2010 ratings for most watched sports events with the NBA clearly outnumbering MLB & NHL.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 04:53 AM

Actually not. The total poplarity of many sports excedes the NBA. 95% of Americans simiply have no interest in it, despite ESPN telling them to.

#31 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:25 AM

According to the Nielson TV ratings (as determined by numbers of TVs watching a particular sports on average) ranks as follows:

NFL (National Football League)
NBA (National Basketball Association)
MLB (Major League Baseball)
NCAA football (college football)
NCAA basketball (college basketball)
NASCAR (stock car racing)
WWE (professional wrestling)
NHL (National Hockey League)
AFL (Arena Football League)
WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association)
MLS (Major League Soccer)
IRL (Indy Racing League)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#32 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:31 AM

Actually not. The total poplarity of many sports excedes the NBA. 95% of Americans simiply have no interest in it, despite ESPN telling them to.

Technically, both you and Sigma1914 are correct.

There are many polls out there which clearly shows that the NBA is not nearly as popular as MLB, NHL, or even NASCAR but when it comes to television ratings, The NBA is a definite second.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#33 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

According to the Nielson TV ratings (as determined by numbers of TVs watching a particular sports on average) ranks as follows:

NFL (National Football League)
NBA (National Basketball Association)
MLB (Major League Baseball)
NCAA football (college football)
NCAA basketball (college basketball)
NASCAR (stock car racing)
WWE (professional wrestling)
NHL (National Hockey League)
AFL (Arena Football League)
WNBA (Women's National Basketball Association)
MLS (Major League Soccer)
IRL (Indy Racing League)

The first half of that I believe, but the second half of that I am sure has to do with availability as much as popularity. I find it hard to believe that AFL or WNBA is more popular than IndyCar or soccer. Ratings are probably what they are due to being carried on networks that don't have the penetration as others. (ESPN carries AFL, or at least did at one point, for example)

Technically, both you and Sigma1914 are correct.

There are many polls out there which clearly shows that the NBA is not nearly as popular as MLB, NHL, or even NASCAR but when it comes to television ratings, The NBA is a definite second.

I'd be highly suspect of those polls, though. Sports are a fickle beast, and you can't just take a random sampling and get a good idea of how they're doing. NBA does really well with urban audiences, NASCAR with more rural and suburban audiences. Comparing some of these things can get kind of tricky.

#34 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

The first half of that I believe, but the second half of that I am sure has to do with availability as much as popularity. I find it hard to believe that AFL or WNBA is more popular than IndyCar or soccer. Ratings are probably what they are due to being carried on networks that don't have the penetration as others. (ESPN carries AFL, or at least did at one point, for example)

The list I provided was solely based on TV ratings. Naturally, a sport which has a better TV contract and is available in more outlets is going to have a higher viewership then someone who doesn't.

I'd be highly suspect of those polls, though. Sports are a fickle beast, and you can't just take a random sampling and get a good idea of how they're doing. NBA does really well with urban audiences, NASCAR with more rural and suburban audiences. Comparing some of these things can get kind of tricky.

Polls always have to be taken with a grain of salt.

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#35 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,253 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:27 PM

under the new deal will NBC games stay on to the end? or will they move to VS or other channels to may way for pre race coverage of a horse race?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#36 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:35 AM

I know this thread is about the new NHL TV deal starting next season. But what I'm wondering is why aren't all of the Stanley Cup Final games on a national network, NBC? Why are games 3 and 4 on Versus? I could see the first two games being on Versus, then switching over to NBC for the rest, but to start on NBC, then go back to Versus, then back to NBC doesn't make any sense. If the NHL really wants to grow the sport of hockey, which I know is hard to do, then ALL of the SCF games should be on NBC.

#37 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

this current contract with nbc / versus, VS has done 2 stanley cup final games. they usually do first 2 games on VS and finishout with nbc but i was a bit suprised to see the split.

but in any event it should be a great final, we will have for the 2nd st year a team trying to end a 30 year plus drought VAN 0 cups bos last cup i think was 70

#38 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

bos last cup i think was 70

#39 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 885 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

I know this thread is about the new NHL TV deal starting next season. But what I'm wondering is why aren't all of the Stanley Cup Final games on a national network, NBC? Why are games 3 and 4 on Versus? I could see the first two games being on Versus, then switching over to NBC for the rest, but to start on NBC, then go back to Versus, then back to NBC doesn't make any sense. If the NHL really wants to grow the sport of hockey, which I know is hard to do, then ALL of the SCF games should be on NBC.

VS did games 3 and 4 last year also.

VS got those games because of low ratings for Cup Finals on NBC . NBC didn't want all 7 games any more. Finals ratings in 2006,2007 were really embarrassing.NBC finished dead last for those nights with NHL Cup Finals Games

Protected By... spam firewall...And...