Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Offers HBO GO® and MAX GO®

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

DISH Network's DISHOnline.com delivers HBO® and Cinemax® titles not available on Netflix's online service

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., April 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. today announced that DISHOnline.com now gives customers instant, unlimited access to HBO and Cinemax titles not offered by Netflix's online service. In connection with Home Box Office, Inc.'s new online video destinations, HBO GO® and MAX GO®, DISH Network customers who subscribe to HBO or Cinemax premium channels can now instantly watch nearly all of the respective current HBO or Cinemax programming inventory – most of which is available in high definition – at DISHOnline.com. Customers have access to more than 1,800 titles including Hollywood hits such as Avatar, The Hangover and Up In The Air, original content like award-winning series Boardwalk Empire® and True Blood®, as well as independent films, cult favorites and more.

More here.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

Saw an article in WSJ the other day that Epix is coming too.

#3 OFFLINE   CyberWhip

CyberWhip

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:23 PM

just thinking out loud, but, at first thought this really doesn't make any sense. Why would someone that is already subscribed to HBO really need to have access to series and movies already on HBO? Seems like if I had HBO, I would just record the stuff I really wanted anyways. Very few people that I know ever go back and re-watch very many movies or series that they have already seen.

AND

If I don't have an interest to subscribe to standard HBO for the current series or movies they are showing, this deal certainly wouldn't entice me to run and sign up.

Maybe I'm missing something. I can't see this as being ground breaking, more of a novelty. Now if they offered this in addition to a certain package, like premium for no charge or maybe very minimal, then they might persuade new subscribers to the package or Dish in general.

#4 OFFLINE   CyberWhip

CyberWhip

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

also, one last thing and I'll shut up....
All the movies and series they list in their press release above are all on netflix...AND ON BLU-RAY disc if you want that. Granted, it's not streaming, but I'm just looking for the big picture here.

I guess one thing that you can gleem from this is that the movie studios are starting to loosen their grips and allow streaming of newer content on a non-pay per movie license. Definitely a good thing.

Cheers

#5 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

You can watch the content in a browser anywhere.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:57 PM

Yep, now you have access to hat premium channel you subscribe to anywhere in the world, while you're on vacation in a hotel with no hbo, etc... I think they are supposed to have an ipad app out soon too..

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

Also, every episode of every hbo show they have ever had is available.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:53 PM

just thinking out loud, but, at first thought this really doesn't make any sense. Why would someone that is already subscribed to HBO really need to have access to series and movies already on HBO? Seems like if I had HBO, I would just record the stuff I really wanted anyways. Very few people that I know ever go back and re-watch very many movies or series that they have already seen.

Well, you can watch them using any browser on your laptop or tablet. From Engadget two days ago this news:

Are you familiar with the HBO Go online streaming service that lets subscribers catch up on HBO's award-winning and ass-kicking TV content? Well, 'appy news for you, dear reader, for it's about to hit smartphones and tablets early next month. Android and iOS HBO Go apps have been teased by a new video on HBO's YouTube channel, with promises of "instant and unlimited access" to "every episode of every season" of your favorite shows, garnished with a selection of hit movies. The apps and streaming will be free to HBO subscribers, who'll be able to get their Sopranos nostalgia on over 3G as well as WiFi. May 2nd is the date on which the teaser video ends, though it doesn't explicitly say that the service will be enlivened then. We'll just have to wait and see.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 06:35 AM

Will there be an app for this in GoogleTV with Dish integration?

#10 OFFLINE   Dario33

Dario33

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

Awesome news... :up:

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:36 PM

AND

If I don't have an interest to subscribe to standard HBO for the current series or movies they are showing, this deal certainly wouldn't entice me to run and sign up.

Maybe I'm missing something. I can't see this as being ground breaking, more of a novelty. Now if they offered this in addition to a certain package, like premium for no charge or maybe very minimal, then they might persuade new subscribers to the package or Dish in general.

And if you are a new subscriber to HBO and want to catch up on previous episodes?

However I do not see where this all that advantageous to HBO, you only want to watch one series. So periodically you sub for a couple of months per year and watch it all in a short period.

To be honest, in my case there is nothing on HBO or Cinemax that I consider worth paying to see. I've been woking my way through the Closer via Netflix DVDs and Psych via Netflix Streaming
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

The Wire is one show I would like to watch from the beginning.

We have a computer hooked up via HDMI to a 42inch Vizio TV. Watched a few shows and they looked pretty good.

#13 OFFLINE   satlover25

satlover25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

I tried this via browser and it is HOT! I think the the iPad/iPod/iPhone app is going to be just as HOT! Everything HBO has done...and then some...is there!
HR34
HR21
H25
2 Genie Mini Clients
16+ yrs w/Dish Network...finally had to let them go!

#14 OFFLINE   dbstv

dbstv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

I tried this via browser and it is HOT! I think the the iPad/iPod/iPhone app is going to be just as HOT! Everything HBO has done...and then some...is there!

What is the url for broswer ?

I have it on iphone too small to enjoy

Forget it I got them/url both

Edited by dbstv, 30 April 2011 - 05:18 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

iPad/iPhone app came out the other day. I only watched a couple minutes but it seemed to work OK on my iPad.

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:40 PM

Android app isn't compatible (or so they say, you're not allowed to install it) with 3.0 so I can't test it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#17 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Android app isn't compatible (or so they say, you're not allowed to install it) with 3.0 so I can't test it.

I thought Android was the 'open' system. :grin:

Just kidding. :)

#18 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Actually it's a restriction HBO put on it, not Google...the wrapper has max version number of 2.2, so anybody running 2.3 or higher can't do anything with it.

Smooth moove, Ferguson.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#19 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:15 PM

I just read that HBO is working on it. I can't even find the app when using my Xoom. It works great on my EVO but the larger screen will much better.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

I can see it on my Xoom if i'm directly linked to it but it attempts to download and then halts with a popup saying "not compatible."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...