Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation Network may be down for two days?!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:27 PM

I turned on the my PS3 this morning as was greeted with an error message that there was a network error and have been logged off. I just got arond to checking PSN's status and say this.
http://blog.us.plays...-on-psn-outage/

While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.

I'm sure glad I don't have to pay to use PSN.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'm an xbox fanboy here but it seems like the PSN goes down a lot. Especially compared to xbox live. I haven't had an xbox live outage (other than scheduled maintenance at 3 am) in a very long time.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 04:06 PM

I turned on the my PS3 this morning as was greeted with an error message that there was a network error and have been logged off. I just got arond to checking PSN's status and say this.
http://blog.us.plays...-on-psn-outage/

I'm sure glad I don't have to pay to use PSN.

That sucks, man. My friend was pretty upset about it when we got to work this morning. He went to the midnight release of the new MK and tried to get a few matches in before work and was greeted with the same error. I haven't played a game online since my son got ahold of the copy of Black Ops, bit onto it, drug his teeth across the disc and threw it in the bath tub....yaaaaay children....

#4 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:14 PM

per Tom's guide looks like may be down through Saturday, ugh, MK out & can't go online but get plenty of practice vs. AI lol

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:55 PM

You get what you pay for? :P

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Sorry to troll but...

Xbox 360
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

Do you guys have your online access back?

#8 ONLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:03 PM

Do you guys have your online access back?

The PlayStation network & Qriocity are still down and will be down until they patch the network.

#9 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

The PlayStation network & Qriocity are still down and will be down until they patch the network.

That suuuuucks. My Gamer Heart goes out to all you guys. I haven't made the plunge to purchase a PS3 yet, so I'm okay with my 360. When I do, no more Xbox live......ever.

#10 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 05:50 PM

From the PSN Blog

Update On PlayStation Network/Qriocity Services
+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media
An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

#11 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

From the PSN Blog

owned

#12 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

The latest update.

Latest Update for PSN/Qriocity Services
+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media
We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.
We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

It may be, as someone has speculated, whoever it was that hacked PSN deleted some critical code.

BTW, don't be surprised when (not if) XBox/Windows live gets crashed.

Edited by machavez00, 24 April 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   ncxcstud

ncxcstud

Icon

• Registered
  • 591 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 04:01 PM

more than likely PSN is going to be the only one that is attacked. Why? Because Microsoft hasn't pissed off the hacker community like Sony has with the GeoHotz stuff...
40" Samsung LCD - LN40B640 (living room)
42" Samsung DLP - HLS4266W
DirecTV HR20-700 Receiver
DirecTV H24-100 Receiver
DirecTV HR24-100 Receiver
Pastor of All Saints Lutheran Church in Mason, MI
XBOX Live, Battle.net, and PSN gamertags - ncxcstud

#14 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

BTW, don't be surprised when (not if) XBox/Windows live gets crashed.

It will happen some day... Just the law of averages.
But the fact that it hasn't happened yet todate... and that Microsoft (and it's products) have the biggest target on their back... tells yah a lot about how that service was designed and built.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#15 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:00 AM

Live has unintentionally gone down for spans of 12 or 24 hours. Never more than a day.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#16 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:49 AM

It honestly wouldn't bother me if Live went down. I purchased my yearly subscription to Live 4 months ago and I only play on live when Gamefly sends me a game that has an interesting online mode, Like Medal of Honor that I just sent back. I beat the campaign and played online for a few days just for some easy achievements then sent it back. Pretty much the extent of my playing any games online. Other than that, I browse for demos for my gamefly queue and my qife customizes and downloads things for her Avatar.

#17 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:13 PM

And boom goes the dynamite.

http://blog.us.plays...k-and-qriocity/

Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer:
We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:
Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;
Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and
Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.
We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.
Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.
For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.
To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information for those who wish to consider it:
U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report, visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.
We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S. credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however, that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report, please contact any one of the agencies listed below.
Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division, P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790
You may wish to visit the web site of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General, and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202; telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.
We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions.
Sincerely,
Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,644 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

That's why I use PSN gift cards only when buying DLC.

I checked and no e-mail from Sony.

Edited by machavez00, 26 April 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

And boom goes the dynamite.

http://blog.us.plays...k-and-qriocity/

So no ETA of the PSN for you guys, huh? That blows. I do the same thing with my live account when it comes to purchasing DLC's and live subscriptions. I'd much rather not have to put my information out there and just buy the cards from Gamestop or Wal-Mart.

#20 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

So no ETA of the PSN for you guys, huh?

Just did a google search on PSN & 1 of the news updates is showing "some services" will be online within a week

Protected By... spam firewall...And...