Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Playstation Network may be down for two days?!

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:35 PM

Just did a google search on PSN & 1 of the news updates is showing "some services" will be online within a week

That's good to hear. I feel for you guys not having any online feature.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 06:56 PM

sad I had just prestiged in MW2 & was back to lvl 30 something, offline is just boring in it, + i want to see the DLC for MK & test my skills online (which I will probably get owned) in it aswell

#23 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

sad I had just prestiged in MW2 & was back to lvl 30 something, offline is just boring in it, + i want to see the DLC for MK & test my skills online (which I will probably get owned) in it aswell

My friend mentioned above just hit his 10th presitge on Black Ops the night before the shut down xD
I think I actually cried a little while laughing when he told me this.

#24 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:01 PM

the next article after what RasputinAXP posted clarifying in a little more depth

#25 OFFLINE   sideswipe

sideswipe

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:06 PM

lol as soon as I posted last post was watching my slightly delayed viewing of Top Shot & saw a PS3 commercial (because I was typing) talking about teamwork in Socom 4 (which requires online play)

#26 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:17 AM

MS was sued three years ago for outages.
http://www.gamespot....ws/6184323.html
This after MS offered up a free game download
http://www.gamespot....ws/6184292.html

I can't find any info if the suit was won, lost, or thrown out.

#27 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

If Sony was smart about this, as soon as PSN was back online and secure, they'd offer something to their subscribers to recoup the time they lost to their favorite games.

A majority of new released these days have a heavy emphasis on online content and multiplayer content, so not being able to access that is like being able to play only half of the game.

Sony would do their customers right if they offered perhaps a free PSN title or credit toward any PSN purchase once they get back online.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#28 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

If Sony was smart about this, as soon as PSN was back online and secure, they'd offer something to their subscribers to recoup the time they lost to their favorite games.

A majority of new released these days have a heavy emphasis on online content and multiplayer content, so not being able to access that is like being able to play only half of the game.

Sony would do their customers right if they offered perhaps a free PSN title or credit toward any PSN purchase once they get back online.

Honestly... IMHO... it is a lot more now, not about being down for the week.
(They can make that up with a free game, or credit for an additonal month... similar to what Microsoft did).

It is now about what was obtained from the security breach.
I no longer have a Playstation (haven't had it for over a year), but when I did... I did fill out the profile and information for PSN.

I don't believe I ever added my Credit Card information, so I am not too worried about it. But you will have possibly MILLIONS of people that have, that now concerned about their info being compromosied... and couldn't give two hoots about the network itself being back up.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,673 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:52 AM

I'd be more interested in a free year of credit monitoring. I don't like they way they danced around whether the credit information was compromised or not. Assume that it has until you can prove that it hasn't.

I recently had an property insurance company offer a free year of credit monitoring without knowing whether "useful" information had been purloined or not. That's the second step after urgently and actively informing all customers of the breach and disseminating an exhaustive list of safety measures.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#30 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

XBL users are having issues of their own.
http://support.xbox....ive-status.aspx
http://www.escapistm...rs-Credit-Cards

Latest XBL Exploit Takes Aim at User's Credit Cards
Allistair Pinsof | 27 Apr 2011 8:30 am
Microsoft has posted a Service Alert, warning Xbox Live users that their credit cards have been compromised by hackers through a Modern Warfare 2 exploit.

"Users may receive potential phishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2," the warning reads.

What Microsoft hasn't said is how to know if you've been hacked, how to prevent it from happening and why this is happening now. However, a quick glance at recent posts on the Xbox.com forum unveils statements from individual XBL users who have been attacked - some who have been hit as far back as a month ago and are still waiting for Microsoft to respond.

Also, it seems Modern Warfare 2 isn't the only game that hackers are using to access user information.

"I was de-ranked and my points are now in the negative in Call of Duty 4," XBL user PIOAKADRAMAFREE wrote. "I had a 55 gold cross [rank] and my score on the leaderboard was 55k. After getting hacked, I have a 1 gold cross and a negative score. The player and I exchanged private messages and within those messages he demanded that $10 be paid to him through Paypal to unhack my account."

#31 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

XBL users are having issues of their own.
http://support.xbox....ive-status.aspx
http://www.escapistm...rs-Credit-Cards

This seems different though.
Seems to be more of an attack on the individual games/exploits that are exposed by the different titles, versus the entire network.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#32 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Users may receive potential phishing attempts via title specific messaging while playing Modern Warfare 2.

That's a far cry from "oops, all of your information is in the wild, and maybe even your credit card info".

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#33 OFFLINE   satexplorer

satexplorer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts
  • LocationDock X

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

Sony Playstation has also forgot to mention that the breach be phishing. The latest evidence, There was an email circulating at the end of March 2011. "On April 1, 2011 SCEA Sony Computer Entertainment America will become SNEA Sony Network Entertainment America". Asking users to Log in to another website that had the infamous word Innovyx. Email also says Sony will deactivate and transer their online services.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,840 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

More reading http://www.windowsit...-network-135988

#35 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:28 AM

lol as soon as I posted last post was watching my slightly delayed viewing of Top Shot & saw a PS3 commercial (because I was typing) talking about teamwork in Socom 4 (which requires online play)

I'm considering purchasing a ps3 just for that game lol

#36 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

Someone needs to tell Sony's marketing geeks to not run any ads until PSN is back up. They've been running that Socom 4 ad all week.

#37 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:25 PM

Someone needs to tell Sony's marketing geeks to not run any ads until PSN is back up. They've been running that Socom 4 ad all week.

:lol: Sounds like a good idea to me. It taunts me for not owning a PS3 and loving the SOCOM series.

#38 OFFLINE   Lucavex

Lucavex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:20 AM

According to Sony Exec Kazou Hirai, PSN should be up in limited functions (online gaming) this week, and expect services to be fully fully restored mid-may. When full functionality returns, apparently PSN users will be given access to some free downloads. Although I do agree with previous posters on this point in that I believe we should be offered free credit monitoring services. A few free downloads will stay my rage momentarily though.

Already there are a few class action suits in the works. Keep an eye on your identity, and your ear to the ground.
The color differs from my own but.. Would you express them in your own hues, and paint.. for me?

#39 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:58 AM

This is from the PSN Blog
http://blog.us.plays...able-this-week/

Complimentary Offering and “Welcome Back” Appreciation Program
While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, the company is committed to helping its customers protect their personal data and will provide a complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs. The implementation will be at a local level and further details will be made available shortly in each region.
The company will also rollout the PlayStation Network and Qriocity “Welcome Back” program, to be offered worldwide, which will be tailored to specific markets to provide our consumers with a selection of service options and premium content as an expression of the company’s appreciation for their patience, support and continued loyalty.
Central components of the “Welcome Back” program will include:
Each territory will be offering selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download. Specific details of this content will be announced in each region soon.
All existing PlayStation Network customers will be provided with 30 days free membership in the PlayStation Plus premium service. Current members of PlayStation Plus will receive 30 days free service.
Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity subscribers (in countries where the service is available) will receive 30 days free service.
Additional “Welcome Back” entertainment and service offerings will be rolled out over the coming weeks as the company returns the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services to the quality standard users have grown to enjoy and strive to exceed those exceptions.
SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.
For more information about the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services intrusion and restoration, please visit http://blog.us.playstation.com. or http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

#40 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

This is from the PSN Blog
http://blog.us.plays...able-this-week/

What's the difference between PSN and PSN Plus?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...