Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

r-16 Hard Drive

hr24

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

A Question I have read on this forum that you can't install anything bigger then a 160gb Hard drive in a Directv r-16 DVR, if the drive goes (which mine is fine), can I just put in a new 160gb hard drive that I buy, without have to move over the software.

Note: I have upgraded a drive on a Hughes HDVR2 directivo, and had to install the OS on the new drive before it would work.

I am just curious, and yes I know it will violate the directv TOS, I have had my r-16 apart before anyhow, for cleaning purposes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

Why bother? If your R16's drive dies, just call DirecTV and get a replacement DVR. Even without the protection plan it's only ~$20 for shipping. You can't buy a replacement drive for less than that.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

that is true it does make the most $$$ sense

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,941 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:23 PM

I think you can actually put in a drive up to 250GB, however it will only use 160GB. It won't work with a drive larger than 250 at all. The R15 was that way, so I'm guessing the R16 is also (but don't know for certain).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24

Protected By... spam firewall...And...