Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

I've lived in my particular complex for 12.5 years. My current Slimline dish is on my balcony (2nd floor), not protruding over the edge and on the inside post of my balcony railing--nice and secure.

A few years ago they asked me to remove it. I submitted to them the FCC's OTARD rules and they backed off (begrudgingly). Today, when visiting my leasing office for something else, I was informed that their regional manager has ordered me to remove my dish immediately. She claims that they have that right because they have a central dish that serves the whole complex. They do, but it's DISH Network (who signed an exclusivity deal with the complex), and it was enacted in 2005, 7 years after I moved and installed my dish.

So, I'm wondering if I still can keep my dish. The way I read the rules seems to indicate that yes, I can. Am I wrong or do I have a legitimate defense against them?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:53 PM

Show them the OTARD fact sheet again. The regional manager needs to know the facts.
You have the right to use whatever service you want.

Linked here for any others that may also need it.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

I think this is the pertinent section.

Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install an individual antenna?

A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule. Restrictions based on the availability of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: (1) the person receives the particular video programming or fixed wireless service that the person desires and could receive with an individual antenna covered under the rule (e.g., the person would be entitled to receive service from a specific provider, not simply a provider selected by the association); (2) the signal quality of transmission to and from the person's home using the central antenna is as good as, or better than, the quality the person could receive or transmit with an individual antenna covered by the rule; (3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; and (4) the requirement to use the central antenna instead of an individual antenna does not unreasonably delay the viewer's ability to receive video programming or fixed wireless services.

Good luck.

Edited by jdspencer, 27 April 2011 - 05:01 PM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

The Dish exclusivity deal should only keep from DirecTV setting up a MDU deal there...I think.

Go get em, LV!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,532 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Unless OTARD was amended you should be covered unless you signed a new agreement the complex.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#5 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

Doesn't look like it was amended. I sent them the OTARD rules. So far, the regional manager's initial response has been, "We have an agreement with a satellite provider. If you wish to continue to receive satellite service, you must do so through them and remove your current dish. You have 48 hours to comply."

THEY CAN PRY MY SATELLITE DISH FROM MY
COLD.
DEAD.
HANDS!
:flaiming:flaiming:flaiming
  • Jimmy 440 likes this

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:12 PM

I think your landlord underestimates the vigor in which you will tell them to go pound sand.

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Oh yeah!

If they want a fight, they've got one!

:new_cussi:new_cussi:new_cussi

:flaiming :flaiming :flaiming :flaiming :flaiming :flaiming :flaiming

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:15 PM

Just wait until LV uses that grip the throat thingee. Just send him the video.

Good luck. Another out of control authority figure.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

I suggest you get the SBCAs team on it as well http://www.sbca.com/otard/default.asp

They know the rules inside and out. I have a feeling the regional manager will take things seriously when they inform him they will be filing a federal suit on your behalf.

Now, you probably already know, this will most likely result in them not renewing your lease when the time is due.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

If they do that, I will follow through on my other threat--informing ALL 440 units in my complex that they CAN install their own satellite dishes if it's DirecTV. The landlords don't want anyone to install a dish solely because of their exclusivity agreement with DISH Network.

I did this to two other new tenants simply because I overheard arguments when they signed lease agreements. I waited until they left the office, approached them, and provided them with the OTARD rules. They're now DirecTV customers. :)

#11 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:43 PM

If they do that, I will follow through on my other threat--informing ALL 440 units in my complex that they CAN install their own satellite dishes if it's DirecTV. The landlords don't want anyone to install a dish solely because of their exclusivity agreement with DISH Network.

I did this to two other new tenants simply because I overheard arguments when they signed lease agreements. I waited until they left the office, approached them, and provided them with the OTARD rules. They're now DirecTV customers. :)

Did'ja get the $100 referral bonus?:)

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:53 PM

Yup

:D

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 05:54 PM

Just wait until LV uses that grip the throat thingee. Just send him the video.

Good luck. Another out of control authority figure.

LYbwbYx82_I

#14 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:07 PM

Load Vader If you are told that you have to move or sign a new lease agrement, just tell them, (AND FOLLOW UP,) that you are also filing a complant with you local attorny general on fair housing and the fcc. You have the right to have the service of your choice as long as the dish from the sat service you wish is either not central provided or is in the 'fully controled' area of your apartment. NOW having said that, IF the dish was on a tripod or pole any where in the 'common' grounds area (even a flour bed your control) THEN they can have you remove it. Wish you the best

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:13 PM

So far, the regional manager's initial response has been, "We have an agreement with a satellite provider. If you wish to continue to receive satellite service, you must do so through them and remove your current dish. You have 48 hours to comply."

The SBCA link provided by RobertE is a great resource. You can also file a petition with the FCC. I had to do that with our HOA and within one week, the HOA had a letter from the FCC telling them that they were wrong. Get it all in writing if you can.

You'd think these management companies would train their personnel better; especially a company large enough that they have a regional manager.

#16 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Did'ja get the $100 referral bonus?:)

+1.

The referral program is a great thing. Now watch cable steal it someday and call it new and intuitive! Hahha
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:38 PM

The SBCA link provided by RobertE is a great resource. You can also file a petition with the FCC. I had to do that with our HOA and within one week, the HOA had a letter from the FCC telling them that they were wrong. Get it all in writing if you can.

You'd think these management companies would train their personnel better; especially a company large enough that they have a regional manager.

Marquette Management is a pretty large company with properties in several states. They're headquartered near here, too, BTW.

#18 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

This could be fun,

With a toner, a little cable, maybe a power inserter I can see a Directv dish next to the DISH rig. Some things are more exclusive that others. If management wants the Directv rig off the deck...how about them paying to get you service from a central Directv dish.

Also, the district manager is a worm. He personally should have contacted you. That he used an office wonk speaks to his level of guts. Try grinding him.

Joe

#19 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:40 PM

"He" is a "she."

She didn't get someone to do her work; rather, it was more coincidental that the very moment I walked in (unannounced and unexpected) to discuss an impending renovation, the leasing manager literally just hung up the phone with her regional manager.

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:40 PM

I suggest you get the SBCAs team on it as well http://www.sbca.com/otard/default.asp

They know the rules inside and out. I have a feeling the regional manager will take things seriously when they inform him they will be filing a federal suit on your behalf.

Now, you probably already know, this will most likely result in them not renewing your lease when the time is due.

Just for schits and giggles I went ahead and filed a complaint on that site. Can't wait to see what happens.

spam firewall