Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:47 PM

Keep us informed...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'll find out more tomorrow when I expect a response from someone to my strongly worded letter.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#23 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,588 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Get em' LV!!:D I'm pulling for you!

#24 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:14 AM

Go Get Em Lord Vader!!!

They are Wrong and You are Right and In Your Rights as the Law States!!!

I had to do it and I won my battle after I showed them the Law!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#25 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:18 AM

As others have said, you are quite within your rights under OTARD to have DirecTV even though the apartment complex has Dish network.

#26 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 06:31 AM

Good Luck, watching to see it play out.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#27 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:10 AM

Me, too

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#28 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:36 AM

Good luck, it is just the rights of the individual are being "crushed" by these big companies and there "exclusive contracts". Heck my Mom has dish network installed in her home, I had a directv dish on the house (it was no longer in use since I moved out), the guy took it off of the house, and used the bottom part of the dish (the part that bolts to the house) on the new dish dish, I went and got the directv dish (the upper half), and brought it to my home, and was like W$F when half the dish is missing, thankfully I had a spare dish here and took off the bottom half and put it on my 3LNB dish.

Give em Hell Lord Vader!
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

#29 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,926 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Please tell me you are keeping a detailed log and copies of all correspondence. You will need that when they elect to not renew your lease.

Perhaps you ought to post this to consumerist.com
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#30 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

Good luck man, stay with it!!!!!!!
I went through something like this years ago at my last residence and the Home Owners' Assoc. chief "condo cammando" started chest pounding only to find that the rules/laws were in my favor and he went from King Kong to little monkey QUICK!:lol:

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

#31 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Good luck, it is just the rights of the individual are being "crushed" by these big companies and there "exclusive contracts". Heck my Mom has dish network installed in her home, I had a directv dish on the house (it was no longer in use since I moved out), the guy took it off of the house, and used the bottom part of the dish (the part that bolts to the house) on the new dish dish, I went and got the directv dish (the upper half), and brought it to my home, and was like W$F when half the dish is missing, thankfully I had a spare dish here and took off the bottom half and put it on my 3LNB dish.

Give em Hell Lord Vader!

we do that everyday. Its so you dont drill anymore holes in peoples roof.

#32 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:28 PM

"He" is a "she."

She didn't get someone to do her work; rather, it was more coincidental that the very moment I walked in (unannounced and unexpected) to discuss an impending renovation, the leasing manager literally just hung up the phone with her regional manager.

Maybe I was a little quick with that one.

My thought was..."this is not me...THIS IS CORPORATE SPEAKING!" I watch for the man behind the curtain when I hear allusions to greater authority.

Opps,

Joe

#33 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 02:58 PM

Please tell me you are keeping a detailed log and copies of all correspondence. You will need that when they elect to not renew your lease.

Perhaps you ought to post this to consumerist.com

Yes, I'm keeping records, but I don't think the lease renewal will be a problem. I was in yesterday to sign papers for my new lease and the renovation of my unit and my having to switch to another unit for a month this summer while they renovate my current one. They even have my deposit already for the one-month rental of the corporate suite while mine undergoes its remodeling.

Plus, like I said, if they decide to screw me with non-renewal, I'll make sure every person in this complex knows about their DBS dish rights. FYI, a few years ago--two property managers ago--I ran into a similar situation when that property manager (not her boss, the regional manager, like this time) told me to take my dish down. I showed her the OTARD rules and she backed down, but then she takes me aside and quietly says to me, "Please don't tell anyone else here. If they ask, we'll just say you're grandfathered."

Translation: "Please don't tell anyone else here that they, too, have the legal right to possess a dish like you. We'd prefer they have to go through our single provider because we get some of the kickback."

#34 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

FYI, a few years ago--two property managers ago--I ran into a similar situation when that property manager (not her boss, the regional manager, like this time) told me to take my dish down. I showed her the OTARD rules and she backed down, but then she takes me aside and quietly says to me, "Please don't tell anyone else here. If they ask, we'll just say you're grandfathered."

Translation: "Please don't tell anyone else here that they, too, have the legal right to possess a dish like you. We'd prefer they have to go through our single provider because we get some of the kickback."

I would explain that to the Manager and also remind them that they would lose in a Lawsuit which you are prepared to do and if they decide to terminate your lease then they will see another lawsuit.

I would also point out and underscore the part in the FCC Rules that you are within your rights and if they try to take down your dish I would tell them that your attorney will be right over with a restraining order until a judge can rule on the issue.

I believe that once they see you are in your rights and you will not back down they will quietly go away but I would tell everyone in the complex about the FCC Rules so that they will not suffer like you are doing or cave in because they don't know the Federal FCC Rule or Law.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#35 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:11 PM

Believe me, if they attempt to make me remove the dish, my wrath they will suffer.

#36 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:45 PM

Good luck with your fight. We're all pulling for you.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#37 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

I should know something soon, because I spoke with the property manager this morning after copying her in on the Email to her regional manager.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,044 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

suspense ....

#39 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club