Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:36 PM

I should know something soon, because I spoke with the property manager this morning after copying her in on the Email to her regional manager.

Just to be safe,

I would complain to the regional manager:

Sir,

The bitch dog you left to run your property will not stop following your orders. She constantly probes to see if I have begun to take down my dish. I insist you get her to back off until this matter is completely litigated.

Signed,

Vader

Then complain to the resident manager:

Look, I thought we could be friends but unless you stand up to that ******* of a regional manager we will never have a happy home here.

Signed,

Vader

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

Remember one of those new residents to whom I alluded earlier who was told he couldn't put up a dish, fought back, then did put one up? Well, my property manager told me yesterday that they made him take his down and that I was the "only one with a dish remaining."

Gee, I guess in a 22-building, 440-unit complex, I feel somewhat unique, privileged even. I apparently stand alone. Nevertheless, it'll be a hot day on Hoth before I take my dish down!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#43 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:34 PM

Remember one of those new residents to whom I alluded earlier who was told he couldn't put up a dish, fought back, then did put one up? Well, my property manager told me yesterday that they made him take his down and that I was the "only one with a dish remaining."

Gee, I guess in a 22-building, 440-unit complex, I feel somewhat unique, privileged even. I apparently stand alone. Nevertheless, it'll be a hot day on Hoth before I take my dish down!

Keep it up, maybe you'll get the other residents back to their choice rather than the managers'.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#44 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

I've been polite enough with these people.

Posted Image

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#45 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

If you don't have any right now, I'd take some photos of your dish as it is currently installed. Both from your patio/deck and from a street view. Just in case they remove your dish while you're not at home.

#46 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

...Nevertheless, it'll be a hot day on Hoth before I take my dish down!

Quote of the day right there hahaha
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   DarkSkies

DarkSkies

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:34 PM

I've lived in my particular complex for 12.5 years. My current Slimline dish is on my balcony (2nd floor), not protruding over the edge and on the inside post of my balcony railing--nice and secure.

Every condo and home association is different in how far they go in permissible locations for satellite dishes, so I'm curious if you had to get permission to attach the dish to the inside post of your balcony? I know many folks have been told they could only keep the dish if they don't drill through condo property - in other words, the only way is a pole in a bucket of concrete sitting in the middle of their private use patio or balcony. Could they get you on grounds that you "damaged" their balcony post?

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm or spirit, but just though it might be something to prepare for ...

#48 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:11 PM

No, they've never mentioned its location. They've always talked about it from an all or nothing point of view.

#49 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:41 PM

A few years ago they asked me to remove it. I submitted to them the FCC's OTARD rules and they backed off (begrudgingly). Today, when visiting my leasing office for something else, I was informed that their regional manager has ordered me to remove my dish immediately. She claims that they have that right because they have a central dish that serves the whole complex. They do, but it's DISH Network (who signed an exclusivity deal with the complex), and it was enacted in 2005, 7 years after I moved and installed my dish.

Let me guess.... NFL Sunday Ticket, right?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#50 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:51 PM

What about NFL ST?

#51 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

I wish you luck Vader, but have a much more general question for everyone. When did HoAs start coming into vogue? It seems everywhere has them these days, I know that me and the Mrs. were 100% agreed that we would never move to a neighborhood that had one and it made our house looking take a lot longer as they are so prevalent now.

#52 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Homeowner Associations (which doesn't apply in my case but does in my brother's in suburban Houston) are not unlike school boards of education or other elected, unpaid entities. I've always said, "You give them an unpaid, elected position of power, and these people think they're Hitlers."

Some people just love wielding power and telling others how to run their lives.

#53 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

Most builders institute them in an effort to keep the property values of the developments high while they are finishing building out the development. Since most developments are built in stages now, the last thing the developer wants is to begin Stage 2 after Stage 1 is almost fully populated, but no one wants anything in Stage 2 since the neighborhood in Stage 1 looks awful.

While some HOA's certainly do go over the top in their restrictions, there are many out there that do a fine job of keeping the community clean looking, while allowing residents to have some sort of individuality.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#54 OFFLINE   admdata

admdata

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:59 AM

we do that everyday. Its so you dont drill anymore holes in peoples roof.

Oh the Dish network idot, put his dish on the roof and bolted it there next to the chimney (so you can't see the dish from the ground), but used my bottom bracket.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post!
Account closed by Directv on 7/7/2011
All leased equipment returned

On 7/8/2011 Directv charges me for 2 receivers one DVR at ($175.00) and a Standard STB for ($45.00), good grief!!

Note: Directv did reverse the equipment charges

#55 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 12:01 PM

Homeowner Associations (which doesn't apply in my case but does in my brother's in suburban Houston) are not unlike school boards of education or other elected, unpaid entities. I've always said, "You give them an unpaid, elected position of power, and these people think they're Hitlers.".....

I am one! I'm on the three member board that rules our condo complex. The articles, covenants and rules give me amazing power! They also require that I "maintain the value" of the real estate and buildings. Nobody wants to do it!

Couple months ago I encouraged a new owner to put up their Dish, even though I suggested the switch to DirecTV! Everybody has cable but the two of us.

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#56 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:16 PM

I wish you luck Vader, but have a much more general question for everyone. When did HoAs start coming into vogue? It seems everywhere has them these days, I know that me and the Mrs. were 100% agreed that we would never move to a neighborhood that had one and it made our house looking take a lot longer as they are so prevalent now.

I ran into them around the Baltimore, MD - Washington D.C. in the early seventies. I got the feeling they were originally used to convert small sized MDU buildings with many low pay tenants into MDUs with larger, up scale owned units. The small units were combined, the grounds were buffed up and the units were sold. The HOA was responsible for building maintenance but the units could be bought and sold like real estate.

New construction followed when the supply of apartments was sold down.

Probably different from state to state.

The word condominium is a Latin term. The Romans had homes that shared a common wall.

Joe

Edited by joe diamond, 29 April 2011 - 01:17 PM.
typo

#57 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

Most builders institute them in an effort to keep the property values of the developments high while they are finishing building out the development. Since most developments are built in stages now, the last thing the developer wants is to begin Stage 2 after Stage 1 is almost fully populated, but no one wants anything in Stage 2 since the neighborhood in Stage 1 looks awful.

While some HOA's certainly do go over the top in their restrictions, there are many out there that do a fine job of keeping the community clean looking, while allowing residents to have some sort of individuality.

- Merg

Exactly. It's why I made sure we built our current house in an area that had a HOA and I doubt I'll ever live somewhere without one again - unless I end up living in the country with some land.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#58 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

Interesting comments, I guess me and Vader must be in the minority with disliking HoAs.

#59 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:40 PM

Interesting comments, I guess me and Vader must be in the minority with disliking HoAs.

I am with you, but we are in the minority. It really surprises me how many people will give up their freedom to use their property as they see fit in order to obtain a perceived benefit of increasing property values.

My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

I am with you, but we are in the minority. It really surprises me how many people will give up their freedom to use their property as they see fit in order to obtain a perceived benefit of increasing property values.

I have owned a house in neighborhoods with and without an HOA (currently with). I can certainly make a valid argument both for and against. While my current HOA is definitely a little tough to deal with, if you don't do anything stupid, they leave you alone. I break the rules all the time (including installing my dish without submitting a drawing of its proposed location and getting permission), but I don't do anything which my neighbors would object to, so nobody ever says anything.

My HOA fees also include things that I wouldn't otherwise have, like a pool, a clubhouse, walking trails, etc.

Like I said, I can argue both sides, and do so fairly effectively.

spam firewall