Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1048 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 24 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

I may end up picking up 4 of them (that's all I need), and if the DirecTV technician brings his own, I'll just take mine back for a refund. I'd do this just in case he forgot to bring them Saturday.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,189 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:10 AM

I think its funny. They are trying to make it illegal to put up a sat dish by telling you how to hook it up, and saying the only way to hook it up is a way that physically does not exsit. All they have to do is say you can't drill any wholes in the exterior that go all the way through the wall and they would be well covered like every other complex on the planet, and then you can use the flat cables that I have used before, and you showed here, that do work, even for hd.

The lawyer who wrote that should have his license revoked.

#603 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

Which is why I want Lisa McCabe of the SBCA and my attorney to review the thing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#604 OFFLINE   mjkrt1

mjkrt1

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:59 AM

I am an infrequent lurker on this board and I came across this thread last night.

Lord Vader: Keep fighting the good fight. It is awesome to see you stand up for what you know is right. All management had to do is let sleeping dogs lie, but they thought they had a pushover (like many uninformed people might be). I wish you luck in the resolution of this conflict and hope it's settled soon.

ALL HAIL LORD VADER!

#605 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:22 PM

Here is the addendum that has now been sent to the SBCA for their review.

Attached Files

#606 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

Everything else in there is standard stuff. I wonder where they got this ridiculous notion of a "through the glass" transmitter.

#607 OFFLINE   Crystal Pepsi Ball

Crystal Pepsi Ball

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

When they said "through the window" transmitter, did they happen to have a sample about what they were talking about. I would love to see what device works like that.

5 LNB Dish
SWM 16 Multiswitch
Living Room: HR24-200
Master Bed: R22-100 and DECA
Guest Bed: R22-100 and DECA
Front Room: R22-100 and DECA
Office: H21-200 and DECA
Cinema Connection Kit hooked to Comcast Internet

#608 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Couple of items in there I see as questionable:

1. Requiring you to provide "written notice" for installation? Interesting...

2. $500 security deposit. Don't know if the marks on the document was the leasing office scratching it out? I believe requiring that deposit does violate OTARD.

3. A "removable through the glass transmitter". Um, yeah....still want to see one of those.

4. Requiring the $100,000 of liability insurance. Does that unreasonably increase the cost as stated in OTARD?

:nono2:

#609 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Everything else in there is standard stuff. I wonder where they got this ridiculous notion of a "through the glass" transmitter.

Beats me. That's the only thing with which I would have a problem. Flat RG6 cables, of which I'm willing to bet my landlords have never heard, will do the trick for me; however, what the SBCA is concerned about is that little phrase of "through the glass" transmitter. They asked for a copy of this addendum to see if it funs afoul of the OTARD rules because it requires a renter to obtain that which does not exist.

Management is basically doing everything they can to try and prevent me (and others here) from installing a dish. With DISH Network having an exclusivity agreement here and kicking back to management a chunk of money for each resident signed up, that's to be expected.

#610 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:35 PM

2. $500 security deposit. Don't know if the marks on the document was the leasing office scratching it out? I believe requiring that deposit does violate OTARD.

3. A "removable through the glass transmitter". Um, yeah....still want to see one of those.

4. Requiring the $100,000 of liability insurance. Does that unreasonably increase the cost as stated in OTARD?

Aside from the non-existant transmitter, none of those things are questionable and I highly doubt you'd find an apartment complex that didn't have those rules.

#611 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

They crossed it out after I demanded it and told them it wasn't legally permissible.

Me, too.

Not sure, but they DO require all renters to have renter's/homeowner's insurance, which is no big deal. I think the liability requirement is $50,000, but my policy has a $300,000 one anyway.

#612 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,382 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

But not illegal the way I read the OTARD.

Although a simple notification process might be permissible, such a process cannot be used as a prior approval requirement and may not delay or increase the cost of installation. The burden is on the association to show that a notification process does not violate our rule.

#613 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

The only acceptable way to install the dish is with a removable clamp that does not require drilling.

The way I read this, your non-penetrating mount would not be permissible.

Its not my fight, but at this point, these people need to go down, and go down hard!

#614 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

The way I read this, your non-penetrating mount would not be permissible.

The language is so vague and non-lawyery that he could just put a c-clamp on there somewhere and be compliant.

#615 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:37 PM

Which is why, Jeremy, I'm having the SBCA look it over. Lisa there actually called me and requested a copy to review. I'll let you guys know what they say. Admittedly, I'm not expecting them to say much, but I sure wouldn't mind if they did. :)

#616 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

I have not seen a "through the glass transmitter", either, but while googling for such a beast, I found many more contracts with nearly identical wording:

From Mobile, AL

From Campus Appartments (see page 9).

From Union Hill

From Northern Management.

There are so many more that I could not post links to all of them. Some of these mention a product called "Glass Link" from Radio Shack, but I could not find the product listed on the Radio Shack web site.

I think the addendum is absurd, but apparently, someone wrote a model sattelite dish addendum and many management companies have copied it. As with almost everyone else, I hope Lord Vader prevails and anxiously await the outcome.

#617 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:59 PM

When they said "through the window" transmitter, did they happen to have a sample about what they were talking about. I would love to see what device works like that.

They may have been refering to something like this. I tried using some like these back when everything was Legacy equip. with mixed results. Haven't seen or heard of anyone using these for ages though.

This is the "Glass Link"

Attached Thumbnails

• 7816s_xyz1.gif

#618 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

There are so many more that I could not post links to all of them. Some of these mention a product called "Glass Link" from Radio Shack, but I could not find the product listed on the Radio Shack web site.

A company called Multiplex Technology made a product called GlassLink which was designed for this purpose, but it's long been discontinued and I believe the company went under as well. There's probably a good reason for that, as well as no other product existing today.

#619 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

Not being one to give up easily, I figured that if so many management companies think such a product exists, then there is an outside chance that it does. I am not sure that this will work with modern LNBs, but these are the products to which the addendum is referring.

Linear Corp 1111

Linear Corp 1112

BTW, the 1111, and the 1112 are both listed as being discontinued. I have not yet found replacement products for these.

Edited by fleckrj, 25 August 2011 - 02:17 PM.

#620 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

I am not sure that this will work with modern LNBs

It says right in the PDF that the bandwidth is 950 MHz to 1.45 GHz, so it would only support Ku. The Ka bands are above and below that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...