Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1070 replies to this topic

#1051 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:44 PM

Their letter sounds like it is in compliance with the FCC's OTARD -- if your dish is in a common area, they are going to remove it. If it is located within your exclusive area, you're good.  They didn't mention about how it can be attached to your deck/balcony; does your lease address that issue?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1052 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 18 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

Not as specifically as I believe that letter implies. I do agree that it seems they're focusing more on dishes installed in the common areas, and mine is, in fact, on my balcony. When I spoke to one of the office staffers this afternoon, she explained they were more concerned about the numerous dishes on poles that are next to each building--the individual buildings' master dishes. I reminded her that those were provided and serviced by the former MDU company, whose contract expired in June 2014. At that time, DirecTV took over the property directly. There were no more MDUs at this complex. I do know that there are residents here who still receive their DirecTV (and DISH, too, for there are DISH common dishes as well) signal from the buildings' master dishes. However, the office staffer told me that all of those dishes were going to be removed beginning next week, and that if residents' signals were disrupted, it wasn't management's concern.

I just fear that some of these residents simply are unaware that they can potentially be negatively affected by this.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1053 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,866 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:18 PM

Oh no not again. Maybe its time to buy a house. ;)

#1054 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

I just fear that some of these residents simply are unaware that they can potentially be negatively affected by this.

But if they violated the rules, then I don't see how can they complain.  You on the other hand, should be left alone, since it seems you are complying with those rules 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#1055 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

They COULDN'T have violated the rules, because those dishes aren't theirs. Remember, each building still has a master dish that stands about 7' tall in the ground outside of each building. These dishes were installed by DirecTV's MDU company several years ago. In my discussion with the office staffer today, it sure sounded like they were going to go around next week and just remove those master dishes. If that happens, I believe several residents will unexpectedly lose their signals.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1056 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Oh, that makes sense.  I was under the impression you were referring to dishes arbitrarily installed by the residents.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#1057 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:38 PM

Not really, though there are a handful of those around.

#1058 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,795 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:12 PM

Removing them without notice will backfire on them if any resident wants to purse it. At least they would in California, and probably everywhere else.

#1059 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Removing them without notice will backfire on them if any resident wants to purse it. At least they would in California, and probably everywhere else.

"Any satelliie dish that is not iocated within your leased premises (on your patio/balcony) will be removed as they are a property liability. The removal of satellite dishes will begin the week of 2/23/2015. Satellites that are installed on a patio/balcony will be reviewed for compliance on an individual basis."

Sounds like a notice to me. :(

There may be some confusion with residents who believe the community dishes will remain ... but the removal of "any satellite dish that is not located ... on your patio/balcony" would include shared dishes.

And one hopes that if they have a patio or balcony dish it does not extend outside of their "exclusive use" area (extending over the edge of a balcony or off the patio). A strict reading of the law does not protect those dishes - and they could be removed as a "safety issue".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#1060 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Well, the letter seems to be a bit unclear as to those master dishes. That is, the way the letter is written, I understood that to mean those dishes that were under control of individual subscribers. The master dishes are obviously not. That's why I figure some residents might think, "I don't have a dish, so I can ignore this letter," only to have their signal lost when the building master dish is taken down by management.

#1061 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:21 PM

Here we go again. 

I hope the new management knows the history of the satellite dish battle you went through.

Please keep us posted.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#1062 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

They don't, and according to the office staff (the old staff remained, fortunately--I actually like them and we get along well), the new manager doesn't care. When I simply commented that the property's previous complex manager OK'd my recently installed new dish, the smaller and sleeker ones DirecTV now uses, I was told that "her approval carries no weight whatsoever to the new manager." I can understand where she's coming from, because after all, it IS a new management company.

I will contact the new manager and politely discuss it with her. Starting off abrasively or aggressively will probably just make things worse.

#1063 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

They don't, and according to the office staff (the old staff remained, fortunately--I actually like them and we get along well), the new manager doesn't care. When I simply commented that the property's previous complex manager OK'd my recently installed new dish, the smaller and sleeker ones DirecTV now uses, I was told that "her approval carries no weight whatsoever to the new manager." I can understand where she's coming from, because after all, it IS a new management company.

I will contact the new manager and politely discuss it with her. Starting off abrasively or aggressively will probably just make things worse.

Daniel D. Corum
DDCESI/Idiot Proof Television

#1064 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

I have been following this for quite some time. I have a question for the original poster that I do not recall ever seeing being asked. Where is your satellite dish grounded to. Is it to the building ground at the ground rod or within 10 feet of the ground rod? I ask this having been a commercial installer for 16 years. Having been on both sides of the fence in these situations. My concern here is has the OTARD ruling super sexed the NEC in regards to grounding. Thank you in advance for your reply.
Daniel D. Corum

#1065 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

You know, I'm not exactly sure, as I'm trying to recall from memory. I'm not home right now to look, but I think it's grounded to the building away from the dish but less than 10 feet away. 

#1066 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:21 PM

That is the number one reason a landlord can take down a dish, improper grounding. Can't use anything but the building ground.
Daniel D. Corum

#1067 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,501 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

OTARD doesn't mention grounding. It provides some protection for those who want a dish/antenna to recieve signals and have some exclusive use areas where you can receive those signals. You and the installer still need to comply with other codes.

#1068 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,382 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

Well, considering that DirecTV itself, and not the MDU company, installed this new dish in September 2014, I'm assuming, and I believe correctly here, that it is, in fact, grounded properly. While not home right now, I am 99.9% positive it's grounded to the building. 

#1069 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

I agree OTARD does not mention grounding. I have seen many instances where a consumer waved the OTARD ruling around like a blanket feel free to do what you want document. It is meant to provide a way for limited access consumers a way to receive off the air and satellite transmissions. After they comply with all local, state and federal guidelines. Most don't comply.
Daniel D. Corum

#1070 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

I'm just giving you a heads up. I have no dog in this fight unless someone is paying my hourly rate. On a side note, inspect it. Current dtv employees are more about production than quality. That is one reason I no longer call myself a dealer for them or service their accounts. I applaud your long fight in this issue.
Daniel D. Corum

#1071 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

I'm just giving you a heads up. I have no dog in this fight unless someone is paying my hourly rate. On a side note, inspect it. Current dtv employees are more about production than quality. That is one reason I no longer call myself a dealer for them or service their accounts. I applaud your long fight in this issue.
Daniel D. Corum

Protected By... spam firewall...And...