Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:10 AM

Just a minor update...

This morning my property manager told me she has heard "nothing" from her regional manager except that "the matter was most likely turned over to our attorneys for their review."

Possible translation: "We're trying to find a way to make you take your dish down."

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:42 AM

Just a minor update...

This morning my property manager told me she has heard "nothing" from her regional manager except that "the matter was most likely turned over to our attorneys for their review."

Possible translation: "We're trying to find a way to make you take your dish down."

Must be a large kickback from Dish. Doesn't take too many attorney hours to severely eat into a kickback... :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#83 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the info. So it's possible to require a permit in some cases, but this isn't one of those.

Safety issues (e.g. installing a dish on a fire escape or to close to a power line) or historical (and that requires a building/area listed in the National Historical Registry (portions of downtown Charleston SC comes to mind)).

#84 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,812 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:58 AM

Must be a large kickback from Dish. Doesn't take too many attorney hours to severely eat into a kickback... :)

That's exactly why the OTARD rules were put into place.
Many folks myself included petitioned the FCC years ago with examples of developers providing commissions to landlords, condo and HOA's requiring subscriptions and exclusive use. That reason was cited in the original rule making.

I was a Board member at the time so had the proof of the developer agreement when the place was built.

#85 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Safety issues (e.g. installing a dish on a fire escape or to close to a power line) or historical (and that requires a building/area listed in the National Historical Registry (portions of downtown Charleston SC comes to mind)).

Exactly.

#86 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

Don't forget, the FCC a year and a half ago or so basically said all exclusive deals for pay tv are now void in complexs like this. They can't make you choose any one provider! I don't know if that applied to apartments, or just condos. Which are you in? Is it a condo you lease? If so, that's another thing that needs to be mentioned. Their exclusive deal is also probably illegal now. I don't have the time to look it up, but one day I need to and I need to keep a link to it. I know it exists. I think it does cover rentals and apartments too, but again, not positive...

This all just wreaks. And After you win this case, and get the remodel done and your back in your place with your new lease, I'd let everyone else in the complex know about this too, and maybe the idiots in charge will put up a central Directv dish two and get over it. There is just no way their is enough of a kickback for all this hassle.. And if there is, how is dish even in business!?!?!?!?!

#87 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:22 PM

Marquette Management is a pretty large company with properties in several states. They're headquartered near here, too, BTW.

I went to Marquette Management's web site.

At Marquette, we have only two rules when it comes to residents:
Rule No. 1: Pay all your rent on time.
Rule No. 2: Be a good neighbor.
We do not deviate from these two rules.

Maybe you should remind your manager you're doing both. :)

#88 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

A good (Landlord) attorney will simply tell the Landlord that they're fighting a losing cause. The only thing they can really do is nitpick the installation. If there is damage (even incredibly minor damage) they could make some sort of claim against you .. However, it seems there comes a point when it's all hot air and a waste of time.

Maybe the new manager wants the apartment you are in for someone else.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#89 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,725 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

Maybe the new manager wants the apartment you are in for someone else.

If that true, then LV life there will be badly poisoned, I'm afraid ... :(.

#90 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:06 PM

A little late to this partay, BUT....

Don't mess with Vader!

Posted Image
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#91 OFFLINE   DarkSkies

DarkSkies

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 09:56 PM

A wild thought came to me: Can DIRECTV help with this? I was just wondering if anyone ever called to ask DIRECTV for assistance when it comes to Condo/HOA/restrictive clauses regarding receipt of DIRECTV programming. You would think it would be a no-brainer for DIRECTV to have the legal references, OTARD regulations, FCC contact information, etc., immediately available to pass on to their customer, because it's in DIRCTV's best interest for their customer to win the battle...

(Not saying DIRECTV should represent the customer or otherwise fight on the customer's behalf against the local authority that is putting up roadblocks, just that they should have a department or special hotline available to handle situations like this to advise the customer what the customer's options are.)

#92 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:31 PM

That is a good question, and one that I have pondered before. I had contacted DirecTV's corporate office in a general inquiry on this, but now I think I might do so again to see if they'd like to join the fight to show Marquette Management that having an exclusive agreement where residents are not allowed to choose DirecTV is a violation of FCC regulations, which is tantamount to being a violation of federal law.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#93 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 05:19 AM

I hope D*'s legal team jumps on this right after they bring Comcast Philly down to their knees.

2H/1J

#94 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:08 AM

A wild thought came to me: Can DIRECTV help with this? I was just wondering if anyone ever called to ask DIRECTV for assistance when it comes to Condo/HOA/restrictive clauses regarding receipt of DIRECTV programming. You would think it would be a no-brainer for DIRECTV to have the legal references, OTARD regulations, FCC contact information, etc., immediately available to pass on to their customer, because it's in DIRCTV's best interest for their customer to win the battle...

(Not saying DIRECTV should represent the customer or otherwise fight on the customer's behalf against the local authority that is putting up roadblocks, just that they should have a department or special hotline available to handle situations like this to advise the customer what the customer's options are.)

Thats what the link in post #9 is for. SBCAs legal team, whom DirecTv is a member.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#95 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

When I contacted the SBCA, they basically just said, "Send a letter to the FCC."

#96 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

I believe you have to first contact the FCC, and let them respond, before SBCA will get involved. But usually once the FCC responds to your apartment management, the whole issue will evaporate.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#97 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

I'm not going to jump the gun quite yet. If management backs down, there's no need for me to pursue this with the FCC. If management decides to stick to their guns, well, then they're in for a war, one I assure they will regret.

#98 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

I'm not going to jump the gun quite yet. If management backs down, there's no need for me to pursue this with the FCC. If management decides to stick to their guns, well, then they're in for a war, one I assure they will regret.

Take em down like the US did with OBL!!!

#99 ONLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 487 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

Here is the FCC rule banning exclusive agreements. May the force be with you.

#100 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

Here is the FCC rule banning exclusive agreements. May the force be with you.

Maybe Lord Vader can post this PDF file on community bulletin boards at his complex. :D

spam firewall