Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish

• Please log in to reply
1045 replies to this topic

#1001 OFFLINE   landlordking360

landlordking360

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

I was looking up laws on the removal of the dish and wires.

According to Federal Communication Commission:

What Types of Antennas Are Covered Under the OTARD Rules?

The following antennas or dishes are covered by these rules:

A "dish" antenna one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska), designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.
An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable), or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.
An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Antennas used for AM/FM radio, amateur (“ham”) radio, CB radio, Digital Audio Radio Services (“DARS”) or antennas used as part of a hub to relay signals among multiple locations are not covered by these rules.

What Types of Properties Are Covered?

Under the OTARD rules, an owner or a tenant has the right to install an antenna (that meets size limitations) on property that he owns or over which he has exclusive use or control. This includes single family homes, condominiums, cooperatives, townhomes and manufactured homes. In the case of condominiums, cooperatives and rental properties, the rules apply to “exclusive use” areas, like terraces, balconies or patios. “Exclusive use” refers to an area of the property that only the renter and people allowed by the renter may enter and use. If the area is shared with others or accessible without the renter’s permission, it is not considered to be an exclusive use area.
(( If thers is no areas that any renter has for Exclusive use areas in your apartments))
OTARD rules do not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit. Under certain conditions, if a common antenna is available for use by residents, then the community association or landlord may prohibit the installation of an individually-owned antenna or satellite dish, provided the signal quality from the central antenna is as good as the signal quality from an individually-owned antenna or dish, and the costs of using the central antenna are no greater than the costs of an individually-owned antenna or dish.
((then by by satellites))

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1002 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I don't believe any of this was ever in dispute.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1003 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

According to Federal Communication Commission:

What Types of Antennas Are Covered Under the OTARD Rules?

The following antennas or dishes are covered by these rules:

A "dish" antenna one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska), designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.
An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable), or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.
An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals. Antennas used for AM/FM radio, amateur (“ham”) radio, CB radio, Digital Audio Radio Services (“DARS”) or antennas used as part of a hub to relay signals among multiple locations are not covered by these rules.

What Types of Properties Are Covered?

Under the OTARD rules, an owner or a tenant has the right to install an antenna (that meets size limitations) on property that he owns or over which he has exclusive use or control. This includes single family homes, condominiums, cooperatives, townhomes and manufactured homes. In the case of condominiums, cooperatives and rental properties, the rules apply to “exclusive use” areas, like terraces, balconies or patios. “Exclusive use” refers to an area of the property that only the renter and people allowed by the renter may enter and use. If the area is shared with others or accessible without the renter’s permission, it is not considered to be an exclusive use area.
(( If thers is no areas that any renter has for Exclusive use areas in your apartments))
OTARD rules do not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit. Under certain conditions, if a common antenna is available for use by residents, then the community association or landlord may prohibit the installation of an individually-owned antenna or satellite dish, provided the signal quality from the central antenna is as good as the signal quality from an individually-owned antenna or dish, and the costs of using the central antenna are no greater than the costs of an individually-owned antenna or dish.
((then by by satellites))

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What?
What am I missing?
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#1004 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

OTARD doesn't specify the removal of anything. Quite the opposite, it empowers the tenant do do what they need to do to receive a signal.

The "law" you're looking for must be incorporated (directly or by reference) into the rental/lease contract. Most contracts have some manner of no attachments or restoration to original condition clause.

If your contract doesn't include any such language, you're out of luck.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#1005 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Why do not keep dish and wires ? - your next tenant most likely would be interested in sat TV.

#1006 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

My daughter got notice Tuesday to remove her dish by Thursday because the apartment complex wants to replace the deck railing. (glad she wasn't on vacation). They also notified her they will be enforcing rules that the dish cannot be attached to any part of the building, tripod only. This sucks for her because I have tried a tripod and it will not work because of the soffit overhang. I installed a DirecTV rail mount that has worked fine for 2 years. The dish has to be as close to the rail as possible to clear the soffit. Even 1 ft. difference gives her LOS. Any ideas on how to get the 2" pipe as close to the rail as possible without touching it? Could Comcast be behind this because this will probably eliminate 20+ dishes that are rail mounted. Funny they have no issue with Comcast drilling holes and running wires everywhere. :(

#1007 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

......Could Comcast be behind this because this will probably eliminate 20+ dishes that are rail mounted. Funny they have no issue with Comcast drilling holes and running wires everywhere. :(

Wouldn't suprise me if that were the case. I used to service many customers at a local 360 unit complex. About 3 years ago, without giving any reason, the manager informed me that I was no longer allowed to install dishes on the property. I had become friends with one of the maintainance guys over the previous few years. He told me that the manager had struck a deal with Charter Comm. where he would get paid up to $100 for each resident that signed up for service. A large number of the tenants are South Asian and Arabic. The manager would not even allow me to post info about DISH's new DishWorld IPTV International Programming service. (no dish required)

#1008 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,786 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Any ideas on how to get the 2" pipe as close to the rail as possible without touching it?

You could probably build some type of custom rig that sits on a non-pen base. Weight the base enough to keep the assembly from tipping toward the extension arm the dish would be mounted on.

O-----| extension arm
_____|___ base

#1009 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm assuming Carl is talking about something like this non-pen mount.
http://www.solidsign...ku=615798395483

Not that actual one though, since it is only a 1.66" OD tube (Slimline needs a 2" tube).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1010 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the ideas! I ordered this one yesterday. It is a little pricey but will be worth it if I get it to work. I am concerned at the 3 ft height. The pole I use now is 4 ft to clear the railing. I might have to do some modification to get the dish at a 4ft height.

http://www.amazon.co...ting dish mount

#1011 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm assuming Carl is talking about something like this non-pen mount.
http://www.solidsign...ku=615798395483

Not that actual one though, since it is only a 1.66" OD tube (Slimline needs a 2" tube).

That's the one I used in my setup. Pics are located earlier in this thread.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#1012 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I saw your picks (Page 27). I have to have a straight pole and the LNB will have to extend over the rail to hit the satellites. The letter I saw yesterday said the dish could not be attached but nothing about extending over.

It is funny that I saw at least 5 installations on apartments that had the new railing installed. Their enforcement person is going to be busy. :D

#1013 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I believe that technically, nothing is permitted to extend over and that a landlord can require one's entire dish, including the LNB, to be within one's exclusive property. Nevertheless, I'd let your landlord worry about that.

#1014 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I also saw something so dumb I could not believe it yesterday. When I took down the dish I needed to set up a OTA antenna (rabbit ears) so my daughter at least has some TV to watch. Her Westinghouse 46" LCD TV would not do a OTA channel scan without getting an access code from Westinghouse! I did a web search and found you could sent a text message to get a code. Tried that and it did not work, but they gave you a phone number to call. Tried that and it didn't work but it gave a web address. Finally was able to get a code by putting in the model number and serial number. Why in the world would they require an access code to get a TV to scan for OTA channels? I don't get it.

#1015 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

I also saw something so dumb I could not believe it yesterday. When I took down the dish I needed to set up a OTA antenna (rabbit ears) so my daughter at least has some TV to watch. Her Westinghouse 46" LCD TV would not do a OTA channel scan without getting an access code from Westinghouse! I did a web search and found you could sent a text message to get a code. Tried that and it did not work, but they gave you a phone number to call. Tried that and it didn't work but it gave a web address. Finally was able to get a code by putting in the model number and serial number. Why in the world would they require an access code to get a TV to scan for OTA channels? I don't get it.

I've never heard of something so stupid. Okay, I have, but this is right up there.

#1016 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

According to their web site:

Q: Why do I need to enter a tuner code for my television to receive over-the-air broadcasts?
A: This enables Westinghouse users to choose a feature that most TV users do not use, receiving over-the-air broadcasts. This choice simplifies TV operation for users who do not intend to receive such broadcasts, such as by avoiding unnecessary channel scans. The access code input enables Westinghouse to accurately count the end users who seek to enable the ATSC tuner, for purposes of royalty reporting (but for the end user, this activation is free). This looks to the future of television design: Digital televisions are beginning to include installable hardware or software features.

http://westinghoused...ctivation-faqs/

I love the little editorial at the end - "this looks to the future of television design." They are comparing this to downloadable apps and plug-in hardware. It's a feature! :-)

-- Roger

#1017 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

They are just try to monetize where is no money should be spend by customers. Bad, very bad.

#1018 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Nice find jadebox! I did not see that when I was searching for the code.

#1019 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

The access code input enables Westinghouse to accurately count the end users who seek to enable the ATSC tuner, for purposes of royalty reporting (but for the end user, this activation is free).

Can they really get away with only paying ATSC tuner royalties on the customers that actually use the tuner?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#1020 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Can they really get away with only paying ATSC tuner royalties on the customers that actually use the tuner?

Nay. Only counts officially activated tuners. Regardless of using or not.

spam firewall