Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

612 Guides Display problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jdr37

jdr37

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

About six months ago I upgraded to HD (VIP 612) connected via RGBYto Hitachi CRT digital HD TV. When I press the "Guide" button on remote controller the Guide Screen appears and "Flickers" back and forth to left and right so rapidly it can not be read. I can press the Guide button repeatedly and it will stabilize. Very frustrating.
Dish sent me a replacement DVR reciever but it still has same problem. Dish says they can't provide anymore assistance and that problem is probably "TV incompatiblity with reciever input signal". All other funtions of the set-up work perfectly.
I previously had a reciever (for several years) with no problem. When I first reported the problem the tech said they would try "a software fix". The problem stopped for a couple of weeks but then started again. Then they replaced the reciever to no avail.
I've read vabout a lot of softwaren problems with this older 612 model and I'm about ready to push the MAX button with DISH to resolve the problem with a no cost upgrade me to a newer model reciever or lose a 10+ year customer.
Can anyone provide any advice that might help fix this problem before I go to war?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:00 PM

You need to try the receiver on another TV, or try it with a different output and see if you still have the problem. If this was an issue with the 612 Receiver, you can bet there would be posts about it.

When you say "older" receiver, I'm not sure what you mean by that. The 612 model has been stable for quite some time, no software issues. I put my money on your TV being the problem or, you have a setting on the receiver not compatible with your TV.

Edited by tampa8, 28 April 2011 - 03:06 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

You need to try the receiver on another TV, or try it with a different output and see if you still have the problem. If this was an issue with the 612 Receiver, you can bet there would be posts about it.

When you say "older" receiver, I'm not sure what you mean by that. The 612 model has been stable for quite some time, no software issues. I put my money on your TV being the problem or, you have a setting on the receiver not compatible with your TV.

I have to agree with Tampa. If the replacement has the same problem, it's likely a compatibility problem, or something with the TV itself.

I would try using different cables (coax/RCA), or try hooking the receiver up to another TV if possible, this will should be able to tell us where the problem lies (receiver, TV, or cables).

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#4 OFFLINE   jdr37

jdr37

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

By "older reciever" I was referring to the non-HD reciever I had for years before the upgrade to HD. I don't know the model number, but it was at least ten years old. As a result of the perfect campatibilty with the TV and the old DISH reciever there is no reason to suspect a "fault" with the TV. I do not disagree that it is likely "an incompatibility problem" between the 612 reciever an the TV. My problem with this whole thing that DISH will not acknowledge/advertise/recognize that their products may not/do not/will not work correctly with all TVs and their response is "you signed a contract, SOL, go buy a new TV". Additionally, there is the original DISH response of a "software fix" that apparently worked for a short period of time. No explanation.
So I am left with an unsatisfactory situation and I believe they should be willing to explore the possibility that another model number might solve the problem.
Dave

#5 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:01 PM

I will openly say that DISH Network does not guarantee compatibility with all other electronic devices (we see this with remotes more than anything).

When it comes down to compatibility issues (we don't do this for remotes), we submit a detailed report with the receiver, and TV model number explaining the problem to the best of our ability. The fix (if possible) is normally put out in a future software update, but we would not be able to give any sort of ETA as to when the s/w release will be.

I still would recommend trying another TV if possible, or even different cables. We want your TV to work just as much as you do.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#6 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

Well - the signal/connection from an SD box is so different that I really don't think that tells you anything.

BTW, I don't have a 612, but on the 722k, there are multiple formats for the guide. Trying the different options might be worth a shot.

#7 OFFLINE   jdr37

jdr37

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

Regarding the different formats for the Guide feature, I have tried most if not all of them and the same problem occurs.
I did connect the 612 to another TV (new LCD flat screen) via HDMI and did not have the problem. The Hitachi CRT only has Y Pb Pr and S-video inputs for HD and I do not have an S-Video cable. Would it be worthwhile trying an S-Video connection? Do you think there may be a possibility that it would solve the problem?
No one has ever asked for any information about the Hitachi TV. It is a 36UDX10S CRT 1080i HDTV capable.
Any help will be appreciated, please just let me know if DISH will eventually look into the situation.
Dave

#8 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

So the screen is 4:3? Have you specifically tried the narrow formats for the guide? I'm not sure if that's the word Dish uses for them - I think they use "extended" or something similar for the 16:9 layouts. Also, make sure the DVR is set for a 4:3 screen.

S-video is a standard def connection so even if it works, I doubt you'd be willing to leave it that way.

#9 OFFLINE   jdr37

jdr37

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Yes, the screen is 4:3 but the TV has several different picture format settings. I generaly use the "no-stretch" 9:6 mode which leaves black bars top and bottom. I have tried the guide in all of the various formats and have same problem and I am positive all the TV and 621 settings are correct. I thought S-Video would carry HD although not as high quality as HD Component.

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

No, S-Video does not provide HD, just better SD. I am assuming you are sure you are using the Component, not the Composite inputs.

I think, to be honest, you are expecting too much for any company to assure that new equipment will be perfectly compatible with every 10 yr old TV. The picture must be fine or you would have said it wasn't. There is something in the way the graphics for the guide is displayed that the older TV can't handle or a component on the board is weak. Very possibly the latter.

Edited by tampa8, 28 April 2011 - 10:09 PM.

spam firewall