Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Redbox to rent games $2 a day

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:10 PM

http://www.zdnet.com...ng-in-june/4886

Having revolutionized the DVD industry with $1-per-day rentals via its convenient kiosks, Redbox is looking to expand its media offerings with videogame rentals. Beginning on June 17, those red kiosks will include PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 titles that gamers can rent for $2 per day.

I don't know if this will take off as well as the video rentals. Gaming takes longer than 2 hours and at $2 a day it adds up fast to the price of a game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 30 April 2011 - 02:21 PM

If it was $2 for 2 days I think it would be a better deal.

#3 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:58 PM

If it was $2 for 2 days I think it would be a better deal.

that would be a $1 a day.

#4 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 497 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

that would be a $1 a day.

But nobody want's to rent for one day. Force the consumer to buy two days at $1 a day.

#5 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:57 PM

Depending on how well they keep the kiosk stocked would depend on whether or not I look into it. It takes me roughly 3 days to beat a game and I use Gamefly with 2 games per month. Takes me 3 days to beat a game and 4 days to get the next one, it may work out pretty well for me to get some more gaming in :D

#6 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

I guess this would be good to see if you like a game or not or if you go through games quickly. I prefer Blockbuster though. I get to keep a game for $14 for a whole month plus a steady supply of Blu-ray disks.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#7 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:34 AM

I guess this would be good to see if you like a game or not or if you go through games quickly. I prefer Blockbuster though. I get to keep a game for $14 for a whole month plus a steady supply of Blu-ray disks.

Not to bad of a deal.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

http://www.zdnet.com...ng-in-june/4886

I don't know if this will take off as well as the video rentals. Gaming takes longer than 2 hours and at $2 a day it adds up fast to the price of a game.

I can find out if a game is no good in a day. $2 for going to a convenient Redbox and renting a game is a good deal even if I end up having to buy it later. Plus, they have free nights for movies all the time with promo codes. Same thing might happen with games.

In my younger years, I could probably finish a single player game with $4, maybe $6 with a three day weekend. Beats $60.

#9 OFFLINE   AttiTech

AttiTech

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

I can find out if a game is no good in a day. $2 for going to a convenient Redbox and renting a game is a good deal even if I end up having to buy it later. Plus, they have free nights for movies all the time with promo codes. Same thing might happen with games.

In my younger years, I could probably finish a single player game with $4, maybe $6 with a three day weekend. Beats $60.

:lol: Guess I'm still in my younger years then, and speaking of coupons for kiosks, I signed up for the Blockbuster kiosk in my local Publix, and I have 5 coupons that haven't expired yet for buy one get one, buy two get one, and 3 freebies :D

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

:lol: Guess I'm still in my younger years then, and speaking of coupons for kiosks, I signed up for the Blockbuster kiosk in my local Publix, and I have 5 coupons that haven't expired yet for buy one get one, buy two get one, and 3 freebies :D

Got a wife or kids? Saturday my wife went off to see a movie with a friend and I pulled weeds, mowed the lawn and did dishes since it was the first real dry day in quite a while. I was planning on playing some Portal 2.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...