Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sling adapter gives me HD off of TV2?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

Is it correct to say that the only way to HD out of the TV2 feature of the 722 boxes is by using the sling adapter and a PC client (assuming the network connnection is fast enough to allow HD streaming)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

In theory yes.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:51 AM

Any particular reason you say "In theory"?

#4 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

It's been discontinued. See Wikipedia
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Actually I said "In theory" because theoretically you'll get HD out of it, but only on your own home network.

That Slingcatcher listed in the Wikipedia article isn't the one we're still waiting for for the 922.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

Gotcha. I've got a 722k in the living room and on occasion I would like to be able to watch TV in my office on my PC... and it sounds like the sling adapter would allow me to watch HD on that PC as opposed to using the standard TV2 out which is only SD.

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

If you use an actual Slingbox, (Pro HD) and hook up the component out of the receiver to the slingbox, the picture in your home (on your network) is excellent. I have an old desktop computer connected to my downstairs TV dedicated to the upstairs HD receiver through a slingbox for times I don't want to transfer programs from there onto the EHD to watch on the big screen downstairs.

#8 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:33 AM

I was thinking about getting an actual sling box instead of the dish sling adapter, the only issue I see with that is it limits me to one HD feed coming out of the DVR whereas the sling adapter would give me two HD feeds (TV1 on the main TV, sling TV2 to the PC) at the same time.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

A standard Sling adapter takes control of the main output on the receiver.

#10 OFFLINE   srrobinson2

srrobinson2

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

I just got a 722 and Sling Adapter. It is definitely broadcasting HD quality when you select that setting. I have a 30Mbps connection, and it uses about 4Mbps to broadcast the HD stream over the Internet. It is very nice quality. It is far superior to my Slingbox Classic (SD).
[Signature removed by request because it contained too much useful information.]

#11 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:16 AM

Only 4Mps... that's pretty impressive for an HD stream (I'm used to OTA ATSC where it's recommended that you need a 20Mbps connection). I guess new codecs have improved dramatically in recent years.

Have you had any performance/reliability issues with it?

#12 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

Only 4Mps... that's pretty impressive for an HD stream (I'm used to OTA ATSC where it's recommended that you need a 20Mbps connection). I guess new codecs have improved dramatically in recent years.

Have you had any performance/reliability issues with it?

Well OTA HD has far more bandwith and data, compaired to HD that streams from the satllite...

Is that what your talking about?

spam firewall