Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 in RF mode double commands?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I just got an HR24-500 and I'd prefer to use it in RF mode. I notice when in this mode that half of the commands I send go double, and I'm not pressing the button twice. For example if I want channel 2 I'll briefly hit "2" and "22" is the result. This happens pretty randomly but very consistently with all keys. It's driving me nuts. I did some searches and other people have reported this as well, any fixes?

I have an old HR20-100 in my bedroom that I made an RF antenna out of some stripped coax for and it works in RF mode flawlessly, if I can't get this working right I'll have to switch these 2 as the living room gets heavier use.

thanks in advance!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:39 AM

The offender!!
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

I have a HR24-500 and use RF.
I don't have this problem.
I do have to adjust the speed I press my buttons between my HR20 and HR24 or H25, because the newer ones are simply faster/more responsive.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:52 AM

I've tried pressing the buttons as briefly as possible, makes no difference. My wife is going nuts, I can suffer through it but she doesn't have the patience for it and guests will not know what the heck is going on. What's more frustrating is my old HR20 works so flawlessly in RF mode!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:14 AM

I've tried pressing the buttons as briefly as possible, makes no difference. My wife is going nuts, I can suffer through it but she doesn't have the patience for it and guests will not know what the heck is going on. What's more frustrating is my old HR20 works so flawlessly in RF mode!

Not sure what to say/suggest, as I've had mine for over a year and haven't ever even read a post about this being a problem before. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:21 AM

I just ran into this problem last week for the first time. It was also an HR24-500. It had the same symptoms, double commands when ever a remote button was pressed. It was also in RF mode. When we took it out of RF mode, the double presses went away. But this IRD was in the customers' wiring closet, and required RF capability. So we hunted him down a new HR24, which remedied the problem.

Edited by ndole, 03 May 2011 - 09:21 AM.
Spelling

"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

... haven't ever even read a post about this being a problem before. :shrug:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=187972

I'm not the only one!

#8 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

DirecTV tech forums are full of threads like this:

http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002
http://forums.direct...postID=10841868

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,790 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

DirecTV tech forums are full of threads like this:

http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002
http://forums.direct...postID=10841868

I just ran into this problem last week for the first time. It was also an HR24-500. It had the same symptoms, double commands when ever a remote button was pressed. It was also in RF mode. When we took it out of RF mode, the double presses went away. But this IRD was in the customers' wiring closet, and required RF capability. So we hunted him down a new HR24, which remedied the problem.

Seems like there is a solution here.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:54 AM

So the solution is a replacement HR24? Is it realistic to assume that DirecTV will agree with this assessment? The person posting the solution sounds like an installer, I'm an end user. The DirecTV forum threads make it sound as if calls to DirecTV with this issue will fall on deaf ears. I'm willing to give it a go, I was just pinging the masses to see if anyone had a fix.

#11 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have seen this on my HR20 more than infrequently, but not all the time. I have begun to think it is the remote delivering double. This would make sense that the box receiving thinks it is getting double... because it probably is getting double from the remote.

This is a newer remote that I got to replace an older IR-only remote.

Manufacturer defect on the new remotes?

#12 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

If you skim through the DirecTV forum threads you'll see that in both of those cases people tried multiple remotes and as soon as they switched them to RF mode the problem returned, so it's something with the HR24 presumably.

#13 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

DirecTV is sending a technician in the morning to take a look at it, I have my fingers crossed that some sort of solution will come out of this. I think best case it's going to be a replacement HR24, worst case is they're going to tell me I have to use IR mode. :(

#14 OFFLINE   jms6612

jms6612

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

Numerous Directv customers (including myself) are having this same problem with double and triple responding in RF mode. Just search the threads ... My receiver is an HR24-500 with 0x459 firmware. The problem exists with multiple (old and new) remotes, so I assume the root cause is with the receiver hardware or firmware. My educated guess is that Directv could fix this problem in firmware, by adding more de-bouncing in the RF remote receive algorithm. A temporary work-around is to press the remote keys very briefly, but this only works some of the time. Very frustrating ... I didn't have this problem with an older HR21 receiver. I will be very interested in knowing what the ultimate fix is. Is anyone at Directv listening?

#15 OFFLINE   owl

owl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:22 PM

I had this problem and moved the receiver to another room, which solved it...I don't know why.

#16 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

Service call just replaced the HR24, put it in RF mode and the problem is gone. Or so my wife says, I'll be sure to test it extensively tonight.

#17 OFFLINE   jms6612

jms6612

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:16 AM

Did they replace the receiver with the same model?

#18 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:31 AM

yes, HR24-500 replaced with an HR24-500. As mentioned in post #9 it seems like this is currently the "solution".

I'll know for sure tonight if the problem is gone as I intend to spend some time adding back in my scheduled shows and that is the easiest way to see the problem, as you try to put in "House" and you end up with "HHHOOUSEE".

#19 OFFLINE   jms6612

jms6612

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:12 AM

Okay, thanks for the info. I've scheduled a Directv service call for tomorrow morning for them to replace my HR24-500. The CSR waived the service call fee for me. I hope they have another identical model, but without the RF remote receiver problem. I like the features and speed of the HR24. At this point, though, I may have to take anything that works.

#20 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

Got home tonight and immediately put it through it's paces, works perfectly. I'm once again a very happy DirecTV customer :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...