Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWiM 771A Error Code

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stickbc02

stickbc02

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

I recently upgraded my SlimLine 5 with a SWiM LNB. I had a few issues getting everything setup but after a couple evenings I had it all working. I have 2 HD DVRs. This evening I decided to "clean up" the cabling at one of the receiver locations. I removed the cable that connected the Power Inserter (PI) to the HD DVR, I replaced the cable with a different cable and re-routed it. I then connected it again from the PI to the receiver. When I rebooted the receiver i got the 771A error. I figured I had a bad cable so I replaced it with the original and rebooted the receiver again. Once again I got the 771A error. I checked the other HD DVR I have and it also had the error. I've tried several things this evening but here is my current configuration. I have a single wire from the LNB to the Power Inserter. I then have a single wire from the Power Inserter to one of my HD DVRs (Sat 1 Input). I measured the DC voltage at the cable end that attaches to the LNB and I have ~40 volts. I've rebooted the Receiver a couple times and I'm still receiving the 771A error. I also tried hooking LNB--->PI--->other HD DVR and received same error. Any thoughts?

Sincerely Tired and Frustrated...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

stickbc02,
The error code you see means your SWM network is not working correctly. You have to think of your SWM system as a network and treat it like you do your IP network when you disconnect the line.

The way to "reset" everything is to unplug your PI, and each of your DVRs.
Let everything be off for about 30 seconds.
Plug in your PI and let the SWM LNB "boot up". (Give it about a minute.)
Plug in one of your DVRs and let it fully boot up.
When you have a picture on your first DVR, plug in your second DVR and let it boot up.
You will find that your system now functions correctly (and the error message will be gone).

There are those who dispute this process, but this is exactly what DirectTV's technical support had my installer do when my SWM would not initiate correctly after installation. This is also useful for restoring your system after a power failure, as I have learned a couple of times.

Enjoy!

#3 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

I think you've got the cable going from the PI to the HR2x on the wrong Sat-in port. The correct one will say either (SWM2) or (FTM) above it.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:20 AM

stickbc02,
The error code you see means your SWM network is not working correctly. You have to think of your SWM system as a network and treat it like you do your IP network when you disconnect the line.

The way to "reset" everything is to unplug your PI, and each of your DVRs.
Let everything be off for about 30 seconds.
Plug in your PI and let the SWM LNB "boot up". (Give it about a minute.)
Plug in one of your DVRs and let it fully boot up.
When you have a picture on your first DVR, plug in your second DVR and let it boot up.
You will find that your system now functions correctly (and the error message will be gone).

There are those who dispute this process
, but this is exactly what DirectTV's technical support had my installer do when my SWM would not initiate correctly after installation. This is also useful for restoring your system after a power failure, as I have learned a couple of times.

Enjoy!

This shouldn't be "disputed", if you're having problems.
At the same time, it may not be needed for a power failure.
I've had a lot of good luck without going through these steps.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   stickbc02

stickbc02

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

I tried the reset process and it didn't work. I removed the PI and connected the single wire from the LNB directly to my Receiver and it worked. I was surprised but it did. I got to thinking...the PI does two jobs. One it provides power up to the LNB, two it passes the signal from the satellite to the receiver. Since the direct connection worked I decided to try something else. I connected the PI to the power port on the 8-way splitter, but I didn't connect the PI to a Receiver. I figured maybe the PI was doing job One (sending power) but not job Two (passing the satellite signal). I connected my receivers to other ports on the splitter. Everything worked. I think I have a bad PI, its providing power to the LNB but it won't pass the sat signal. The way I have it connected it doesn't have to pass signal. Hope this helps someone else, because this issue caused me a huge headache and waste of time.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,622 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I tried the reset process and it didn't work. I removed the PI and connected the single wire from the LNB directly to my Receiver and it worked. I was surprised but it did. I got to thinking...the PI does two jobs. One it provides power up to the LNB, two it passes the signal from the satellite to the receiver. Since the direct connection worked I decided to try something else. I connected the PI to the power port on the 8-way splitter, but I didn't connect the PI to a Receiver. I figured maybe the PI was doing job One (sending power) but not job Two (passing the satellite signal). I connected my receivers to other ports on the splitter. Everything worked. I think I have a bad PI, its providing power to the LNB but it won't pass the sat signal. The way I have it connected it doesn't have to pass signal. Hope this helps someone else, because this issue caused me a huge headache and waste of time.

Interesting diagnostics.

A while back (years), I determined I had a bad PI and replaced it. Similar symptoms to yours. All I did was measure the output with a basic volt/amp meter...it showed the need for a new unit. Never a problem since.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

Sounds like you may have a damaged output connector on the PI.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

For what it's worth:
The installer for Whole Home that I had reccomended not to connect a receiver to the PI "Signal to IRD" port due to "Potential Problems" with the
receivers.

I didn't inquire further or question him. Wish I would have.

I use my "Signal to IRD" port to connect the Cinema Connection Kit
and that functions properly.

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

For what it's worth:
The installer for Whole Home that I had reccomended not to connect a receiver to the PI "Signal to IRD" port due to "Potential Problems" with the
receivers.

I didn't inquire further or question him. Wish I would have.

I use my "Signal to IRD" port to connect the Cinema Connection Kit
and that functions properly.

There have been some problems when the two are connected with a [very] short coax.
Mine has a 4-way splitter connected without any issues.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   xhenxhe

xhenxhe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

I'm having the same error. Everything was working find. We unplugged our TV & the main cable from the satellite for a few hours to move things around. We we plugged everything back in we started getting the 771A error.

I'm pretty sure I power cycled everything correctly, but I'm not positive because of the acronymns. What are the following?

PI
LNB

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

Pi = Power inserter. Make sure the LNB port cable goes to the dish.
LNB = Low Noise Block (amplifier) i.e. the dish electronics outside.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#12 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

i posted about this months ago when hearing so many different stories from different trainers , techs, people on here. The last Im hearing from service techs is NEVER send signal and power together like you had it. Always do what you have now which is the red on splitter going to power inserter just for power. They tell me they come on jobs and thats all they do is switch the system from the way you had it, to the way you have it now and that fixes everything. Im somewhat skeptical of it because for one everything was all working that way for some time , and thats exactly what i hear it will work for awhile then fail. Im also skeptical because sometimes I think just the act of them unplugging everything and plugging back in again resets everything and thats maybe all the system needed . Also you will also get 100 people on here that will say they have it hooked up the other way and never had any issues.

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

i posted about this months ago when hearing so many different stories from different trainers , techs, people on here. The last Im hearing from service techs is NEVER send signal and power together like you had it. Always do what you have now which is the red on splitter going to power inserter just for power. They tell me they come on jobs and thats all they do is switch the system from the way you had it, to the way you have it now and that fixes everything. Im somewhat skeptical of it because for one everything was all working that way for some time , and thats exactly what i hear it will work for awhile then fail. Im also skeptical because sometimes I think just the act of them unplugging everything and plugging back in again resets everything and thats maybe all the system needed . Also you will also get 100 people on here that will say they have it hooked up the other way and never had any issues.

I'm sure glad your skeptical, because running the PI and "signals" on the same coax is NO DIFFERENT than a non SWiM setup, as every tuner does the same thing, receives signals & sends DC power to the LNB.
"Oh yeah", and I'm one of those here that has been doing this isn't I got my first SWiM in '07, "without issues".
Now the PI can give problems [due to the DC block internally], when connected too close to either the SWiM, or some receivers. Too close to the SWiM causes a bad impedance match on the SWiM output, and too close to a receiver with DECA causes the same thing for the DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

99 to go. :D

Mine has been LNB-PI-Splitters-Receivers, long before the SWiM LNBs were publicly available.

Pure fallacy about not having power and signal on same line. Just think about it for a minute. It is completely unavoidable (with LNB) to have power and signal separated. ;)

In ever instance of 771As that I've seen, it's been either a lose or bad connector, bad section of cable, or splitter, ground block or barrel.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#15 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

make that 98 to go :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   xhenxhe

xhenxhe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

Is it possible to get this error of a coax cable is bent too much? We installed a cabinet that bent the cable more. The installer didn't follow the instructions I left with my wife because he said he could make it "look better". He didn't put in in the right place. Now I wonder if the cable is bent to far to get a signal.

#17 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:49 PM

Is it possible to get this error of a coax cable is bent too much? We installed a cabinet that bent the cable more. The installer didn't follow the instructions I left with my wife because he said he could make it "look better". He didn't put in in the right place. Now I wonder if the cable is bent to far to get a signal.

It could be because coax doesn't like to be bent 90º.
Bends should have at least about a 6" radius.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall