Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Windfarm?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kazy

Kazy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

Within the past couple of months my OTA TV reception has been going downhill.
The majority of my local channels are 30 plus miles west of my location with a few to the south. I have a Winegard omnidirectional powered antenna on the roof approx. 30' in the air and a Channel Master 4228 in the attic. (NOT CONNECTED TO EACH OTHER) I mainly use the rooftop antenna with the attic antenna as a backup. Recently all of my channel signals have been dropping....suddenly. I can be watching a channel and it will begin to pixilate and/or just drop out within seconds. Sometimes it's out for minutes, sometimes out for days. When the reception drops I have tried to go to my backup attic antenna and it is out too. For that reason I don't think it is equipment problems.
I have one channel that stays on, but the transmitter is really close to me. My latest theory is that a windfarm has recently been assembled about 5 miles west of my home. Could that possibly be the reason for my reception getting weaker? If so, could the windfarm to west also affect my reception to the south? Are there any tests I can perform to verify if that's the reason?

Feedback welcomed.

Kaz

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Have your tried another tuner?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,888 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 May 2011 - 04:14 PM

You'll need very directional antenna with a rotor if your stations are not lined up - more elements and a reflector need to eliminate possible multipath from new wind-farm objects.

#4 OFFLINE   Kazy

Kazy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

Have your tried another tuner?

Yes, same thing on 4 TV's.

#5 OFFLINE   Kazy

Kazy

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:37 PM

You'll need very directional antenna with a rotor if your stations are not lined up - more elements and a reflector need to eliminate possible multipath from new wind-farm objects.

Please explain more. Shouldn't the Channel Master 4228 be directional enough?

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

4228 is directional enough if mounted in free space. Mounted in an attic, it picks up reflections from all the nails, wires, conduit, exhaust flues, and such. I personally would move the 4228 to the roof, and use the other antenna in the attic as a backup.

As for the wind farm...Most of those blades are fiberglass. Dont know if they have steel in them or not. Might be worth a call to ask them.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,586 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

You might want to read up on solar storms. The Sun is having fits right now and throwing all sorts of junk into space which could be causing interference. Some radio frequencies are having trouble, while others are not.

There are other atmospheric issues also that are causing skip and a variety of problems.

Can't say for sure if this is your issue, but you might want to see if the recent timing matches when you started having problems.

What about any nearby trees leafing out that might be 'shading' your antenna?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

4228 is directional enough if mounted in free space. Mounted in an attic, it picks up reflections from all the nails, wires, conduit, exhaust flues, and such. I personally would move the 4228 to the roof, and use the other antenna in the attic as a backup.

As for the wind farm...Most of those blades are fiberglass. Dont know if they have steel in them or not. Might be worth a call to ask them.

I agree that an antenna in the attic is probably a bigger problem than a wind farm 5 miles away.

The fiberglass blades have a flexible copper wire running through it to dissipate static. There are some reports of wind farm causing TV reception problems, but they are not well documented and usually very close to the house with reception problems. If the reception problems occur on a calm day when the blades are stationary, the problem is elsewhere.

Rather than asking questions that make me grope in the dark for a solution, let's see what you're up against. A TVfool report will show the directions, channel numbers, and signal strengths of the stations that you are trying to receive. http://www.tvfool.co...apper&Itemid=29

Solar storms almost never cause TV reception problems.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...