Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question Concerning Owned Receiver?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bready

bready

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:25 AM

I recently had an old R15-500 die on me. I have the protection plan and this receiver was owned not leased. My question is, when the CR told me they were sending me a new DVR he said I would have to send them the old DVR. I asked, since it was owned, was that necessary? He told me that the new one they send me would not be leased, but owned. Was he telling me the truth? What should I do? I really don't want the old one but I hate the idea of having to drive about thirty miles to the city, to mail the old one back to them. Thanks for your help in advance!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:32 AM

That is not correct. If it is owned - you do not need to send it back. I would call back to another CSR and make sure your account is annotated correctly. Also, since mistakes occur, I would ensure that the new DVR is listed as owned after you authorize it.

#3 OFFLINE   bready

bready

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for the help! I thought he was not correct.

#4 OFFLINE   ken1403

ken1403

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

You will need to send back the defective receiver as it will be replaced with an owned receiver. I have had my r15 replaced 3 times and was required to send back the bad one every time.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

I believe if you are getting a no-cost replacement, and it will show as owned, you are required to return the defective unit.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Carl is correct.

You OWN this receiver. It broke. They are going to replace it, for free (under the Protection Plan you pay for), and the replacement will then be owned (but when you call to activate it, INSIST on being transferred to the Access Card department, and make sure it is marked as "owned" when activated). Since they are replacing the receiver with another owned receiver, they want the old receiver back, and have every right to have it back.

Since you own it, you can throw it away, back over it with the car, or do whatever you want with it, but if you choose to involk the Protection Plan, you must follow the requirements of the Protection Plan, which means returning the dead box to them.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

Yep, replacement will be an owned unit. Call and ask for the access card distribution team and explain your situation to them and they should make it owned.

They are still issuing R15s so you will need to send the defective one back.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:15 AM

Yep, replacement will be an owned unit. Call and ask for the access card distribution team and explain your situation to them and they should make it owned.

They are still issuing R15s so you will need to send the defective one back.

Sorry, didn't think they were still issuing R15s. They will want it back then.

#9 OFFLINE   FYRPLG

FYRPLG

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:27 AM

I replaced a R15-500 recently under the protection plan. They wanting the r15-500 back. But was told I didn't have to send back the r15-100 when I take it out of service.

I guess they are still refurbishing the 500s.

#10 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:27 PM

Just like H20s... they are still reclaiming and reissuing H20-100s but want nothing to do with the -600s.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

spam firewall