Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20/21/22/23/24, H21/23/24/25 & R22 (National Release) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
619 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

Receivers included in this release:
HR20-700 • HR20-100
HR21-100 • HR21-200 • HR21-700 • HR21Pro
HR22-100 • HR23-700
HR24-100 • HR24-200 • HR24-500
R22-200 • R22-100

Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192923
Release notes: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192945

Remember, of course... please keep all posts to issues only. If you have no issues, or simply want to discuss other issues related to this release, please use the discussion thread.

We ask that you keep polite and focused within this thread, and post as much detail as possible. If your receiver is set up for network issue reporting, please post the key generated by the receiver.

Being part of the DBSTalk community means working together to help each other document issues and come up with solutions. While everyone gets upset from time to time, this is not the appropriate place for vents or rants. All off-topic posts and discussion will be deleted.

Thanks!

Edited by Doug Brott, 11 May 2011 - 05:28 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:10 AM

I don't have this release yet, but I have a question. I sometimes follow the cutting edge discussions. Am I right in my understanding that with this release you will no longer access closed captioning via the yellow button? How will you access it?

It is something my wife needs to use, and I want to make sure that when we get this release there will be no problems with it.

SMK

#3 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:27 AM

Am I right in my understanding that with this release you will no longer access closed captioning via the yellow button? How will you access it?

I truly hope this is not the case. I use it frequently and it is very convenient. If it is made less convenient, I'd like the name and contact information for the genius who decided to make the change.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

I dont have it yet either.

The channel banner is suposed to be modified so you can access various features.

You would press the info button and use the arrow keys and select. Maybe.;)

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

CC is still easily accessible via the yellow button. It will require some relearning which is likely to annoy many of you, but it's not a huge issue, IMHO.

#6 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

I got it last night. The new channel banner is way cool. And the closed captioning is one of the options. It is very easy to get to.

#7 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

It will require some relearning which is likely to annoy many of you...

You mean we old farts who are so set in our ways? ;)

Edited by Jon J, 11 May 2011 - 09:37 AM.

When news breaks...we fix it.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

You mean we old farts who are so set in our ways? ;)

:D

I resemble that remark .. Nah, honestly, I use CC now that I see it in the menu more than I ever did in the past. I like the new way, but there are a lot that voiced dismay. It's really not a huge difference, but it is different.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 ONLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

Any channel logo updates? I received the 0x4a7 update this morning, guide & info is rebuilding itself, would new logos show up right away, or after the rebuild? HR24-500.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Any channel logo updates? I received the 0x4a7 update this morning, guide & info is rebuilding itself, would new logos show up right away, or after the rebuild? HR24-500.

New logos can take a while to show up, give it 48 hours.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

New logos can take a while to show up, give it 48 hours.

Star rating system is also missing on movies.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#12 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

According to the notes, this release just started today. Both my rec'rs got it last night(HR20+HR21). It usually takes a couple weeks before NR's are rec'd at my house..

#13 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,113 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:19 PM

I don't have this release yet, but I have a question. I sometimes follow the cutting edge discussions. Am I right in my understanding that with this release you will no longer access closed captioning via the yellow button? How will you access it?

It is something my wife needs to use, and I want to make sure that when we get this release there will be no problems with it.

SMK

I truly hope this is not the case. I use it frequently and it is very convenient. If it is made less convenient, I'd like the name and contact information for the genius who decided to make the change.

No problems, but two more steps to get to it.

The Yellow Button is duping the Info Button on this NR. From old time CE members, this is DirecTV normal procedure when they got other plans for a Color Button. What going on the Yellow is unknown, but the HR34 at this year's CES had PIP on the Yellow.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#14 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have an HR20-100 with external drive and received the update last night. It appears to have hosed my receiver. It came up with a gray screen when I turned it on today. I've tried resetting it twice (red button) and all I get is a gray screen after it goes through all the reset business. I can bring up the channel list (as well as sys info that shows the update) but selecting any channel just returns me to a gray screen that flashes the new info banner across the top for about 1 second over the gray screen, periodically, and then goes back to just the gray screen.

I'm going to try a full power reset to see if that works, otherwise, I'll be on the phone with D*.

Can't say this update was a good one at this point.

#15 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have an HR20-100 with external drive and received the update last night. It appears to have hosed my receiver. It came up with a gray screen when I turned it on today. I've tried resetting it twice (red button) and all I get is a gray screen after it goes through all the reset business. I can bring up the channel list (as well as sys info that shows the update) but selecting any channel just returns me to a gray screen that flashes the new info banner across the top for about 1 second over the gray screen, periodically, and then goes back to just the gray screen.

I'm going to try a full power reset to see if that works, otherwise, I'll be on the phone with D*.

Can't say this update was a good one at this point.

Since it sort of comes up, try a couple of things ..

(1) Refresh your services from Directv.com:
http://www.directv.c...thorization.jsp

(2) Run the System Test: press & hold {INFO}, then "Run System Test"
You may need to call DIRECTV to resolve the problem.

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

According to the notes, this release just started today. Both my rec'rs got it last night(HR20+HR21). It usually takes a couple weeks before NR's are rec'd at my house..

;) .. maybe DIRECTV went back to geographical delivery

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,000 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

Star rating system is also missing on movies.

All that takes time to show up. Minimum 24 hours.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

...the HR34 at this year's CES had PIP on the Yellow.

Hmmmm. Would that be a clue that we might be given the ability to toggle the PIP on and off in future releases? That's only a feature that should have shipped in 2006, after all.

I still feel like the HD DVR+ is the best platform out there, and gets better (or sometimes slightly worse) with each update. But there seem to be a lot of "no brainers" that they still have not addressed, and the "one-size-fits-all" approach to the GUI and features seems a bit arrogant (but then no DVR was designed more arrogantly than Tivo, and they say you should always steal from the best).

Here's just the most recent example: I'm up late last night trying to watch recorded shows and every 20 minutes I get a popup saying "Hey, it's time for us to update your hardware!" like I would want that so very much, that I would drop everything just to get it.

No, thankyouverymuch, I'm actually watching recordings right now. Ask me again after this show is over, or just wait 3 hours and ask me again.

But no, like a hyperactive 5-year old in the back seat yelling "are we there yet?" every 2 minutes, this stupid DVR is not smart enough to understand that I don't want their scary friggin' update until I'm darn good and ready to relinquish the remote, yet I get a new nag screen about it every time I turn around. Just how many times do I have to tell it?

Now I know the system is sophisticated enough to mine information regarding what shows I watch and how many times I rewound that Victorias Secret commercial, so why is it not able to distinguish between when it is actually in use playing back shows for me to watch, and when it has been idle for over 20 minutes? No-brainer, opportunity squandered.

As a wise movie character once said, "Stupid is as stupid does." Technology is growing rapidly, and apparently that barrier that only allows so much oxygen to the brain in humans is starting to get in the way of that.

BTW, it seems also sort of stupid that there would be no warning that after the update the box might be sluggish for a while, that logos and thumbnails might go missing for a day or two, and that "Smart Search" all of a sudden might become anything but, until the update finishes indexing sometime on Thursday. How about a heads-up on that?

I did notice that "Active" was very speedy this morning, tho, hope its not just a fluke.

Edited by TomCat, 11 May 2011 - 07:38 PM.
typo

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#19 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

The HR2x will not have PIP.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

My mistake. I equated PIP (which is useless anyway) with the "PIP-style" window in the GUI (which is virtually useless, allows stray unwanted audio into my living room every time I delete a show I am finished watching, and regularly give spoiler scores of MLB and NBA games I am recording).

PIP, I really could not care less about. The "PIP-style" window in the GUI is just an annoyance and absolutely there should be a user preference setting as to whether it is visible or not. Each and every one of you knows I am not wrong about this, even those who might love that stupid little window.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...