Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20/21/22/23/24, H21/23/24/25 & R22 (National Release) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
619 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

It's pretty dumb that the yellow button and the info button do the same thing now. Who was the idiot behind that stupid idea?

It's almost certainly an interim thing; migration of functions take time. I totally dislike the duplication, but trust that the programmers of the software are anything but idiots.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:17 PM

I just tried it on some Spanish language channels, and get the
"Searching for signal on Satellite In
1...(771)"
message.

That would indicate your satellite settings are incorrect. Probably an SL3 set up as an SL5.

#423 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 June 2011 - 04:50 PM

I am also annoyed about the CC change -- definitely a step backward.

For people who are modifying their remote macros to get 1-button CC-on or CC-off, there is another twist you should be aware of. If there is no mail, the mail listing does not show up in the caption. This will screw up your macro.

To fix this, start with a left and then right, right, ... to get to the CC entry. This works because the caption doesn't allow wrapping.

And the Harmonys don't allow for more then 5 steps in a macro.

#424 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,958 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

That would indicate your satellite settings are incorrect. Probably an SL3 set up as an SL5.

Thanks. It does say SL3, but I am going through the setup again, and right now I'm locked out as it's getting Sat. Info.... but I didn't see a way to activate a menu choice as to type of dish- on the H25 it looks like it might be auto-detect.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#425 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:15 PM

From what I see in the responses to this thread, the biggest group affected are those with universal remotes that have programmed macros. I use the standard DIRECTV remote, so I actually find the change welcome - I've used CC often since the change whereas I pretty much never used it before the change (regardless of "ease" or what not).

It seems the whole macro thing is where things have gone wonky .. it worked before now doesn't work.

You keep saying that, but the yellow button has brought up closed caption options for a long time now, and it was the same 4 keystrokes to turn it on or off. Manually toggling CC was EASIER to use before the change, and it had nothing to do with macros. Because you didn't know how to bring up CC (relatively) quickly doesn't give your reason of not using it before, so the change was for the good, any merit.

#426 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

Thanks. It does say SL3, but I am going through the setup again, and right now I'm locked out as it's getting Sat. Info.... but I didn't see a way to activate a menu choice as to type of dish- on the H25 it looks like it might be auto-detect.

It could be, but I don't see why it would be different on the H25.

#427 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

It's pretty dumb that the yellow button and the info button do the same thing now. Who was the idiot behind that stupid idea?

It's almost certainly an interim thing; migration of functions take time. I totally dislike the duplication, but trust that the programmers of the software are anything but idiots.

While migration of functions can be interim and take time, they have no place in the customer's version of a product, unless the customer is willing to make a compromise to get their hands on another desired feature sooner. Interim things belong in in-house testing, Alpha, Beta (CE), etc... that's the whole point of the development/testing process. The reflection on the programmer and responsible management is not that they are idiots, but that they lack customer experience. They have likely never dealt one-on-one with a customer and would not survive in that arena.

We joke about "if it compiles, ship it!" :D, but that joke rarely flys in the real world...
DirecTV since March 1998, HD since Oct. 2003

#428 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:50 AM

You keep saying that, but the yellow button has brought up closed caption options for a long time now, and it was the same 4 keystrokes to turn it on or off. Manually toggling CC was EASIER to use before the change, and it had nothing to do with macros. Because you didn't know how to bring up CC (relatively) quickly doesn't give your reason of not using it before, so the change was for the good, any merit.

I keep saying it because it's true. I probably used it 5 or 6 times ever (outside of a quick test to see if it worked) before the change. I've used it at least 6 times since the change. And I do find the change welcome despite the fact that you seem to know what is better for me personally than I do.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#429 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

We turn CC on and off regularly and was concerned about what the new procedure would be like, especially as my wife often watches TV when I'm sleeping, and if she's not happy, I'm not going to be happy. Having lived with it now for 2 weeks, it really is not a big deal. Was the original "yellow button" technique easier? Yes. Is this a pain in the neck and a significant step back? No.

SMK

#430 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:56 AM

I keep saying it because it's true. I probably used it 5 or 6 times ever (outside of a quick test to see if it worked) before the change. I've used it at least 6 times since the change. And I do find the change welcome despite the fact that you seem to know what is better for me personally than I do.

I agree that the new Channel Banner with its drop down menus will get some DirecTV customers curious. It is a shame that its layout and contents didn't have the input of their customers.

Because Managing Recordings/Rec Mgr should have been one of the drop down menu.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#431 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:02 AM

Because Managing Recordings/Rec Mgr should have been one of the drop down menu.

Having that on "Menu", one button press away, isn't enough?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#432 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,855 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

Having that on "Menu", one button press away, isn't enough?

You argue that for everything in the banner.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#433 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:51 AM

You argue that for everything in the banner.

No I don't "argue that for everything in the banner" you must have me confused with someone else. I'm asking what the difference is between Menu>Manage Recordings and Info>Manage Recordings. It would still be the same amount of key presses.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#434 OFFLINE   shmengie

shmengie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationCity of Angels

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:43 AM

i searched the thread for "media share" and "mediashare" and didn't find anything. so...

prior to this release, if i was listening to music, i could left-arrow to up one level in the media share menu. now, left-arrow just takes me out of media share completely, and back to live tv.

most unwanted behavior!

#435 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:54 AM

Media Share still has some work to be done on it from what I can tell.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#436 OFFLINE   PkDog

PkDog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:42 PM

A simple compromise that would make just about everyone happy would be for the CC item to be the default selected item when the banner comes up.

We CC'ers would have very quick access (very few keystrokes) to turn CC on or off and everyone would still have the banner.

Even better would be for the" turn CC on" commands to act as a toggle (like they used to) -- that way a single macro command could be used to just toggle CC.

#437 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:21 PM

A simple compromise that would make just about everyone happy would be for the CC item to be the default selected item when the banner comes up.

We CC'ers would have very quick access (very few keystrokes) to turn CC on or off and everyone would still have the banner.

Even better would be for the" turn CC on" commands to act as a toggle (like they used to) -- that way a single macro command could be used to just toggle CC.

Agreed! Either of these suggestions would be a great improvement. If only someone would listen.

Burt

#438 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Agreed! Either of these suggestions would be a great improvement. If only someone would listen.

I like both suggestions as well. As far as DirecTV listening, they do but there are some things that they just want their way on regardless of how bad an idea we tell them it is. Things like the ToDo list. We used to have one button access to it but they took it away. A couple of years of complaining now and we still don't have it back.

Also there's the HD-GUI coming that we can look forward to. Who knows, this whole discussion could be moot when that arrives.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#439 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

That's ridiculous. When I press Info, I want info on the program I'm watching. Not CC selections.

#440 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

Things like the ToDo list. We used to have one button access to it but they took it away. A couple of years of complaining now and we still don't have it back.

I've suggested LIST>LIST many times. :D

spam firewall