Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20/21/22/23/24, H21/23/24/25 & R22 (National Release) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
619 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   PkDog

PkDog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

That's ridiculous. When I press Info, I want info on the program I'm watching. Not CC selections.

The suggestion isn't ridiculous. What is ridiculous is having the yellow button, which used to bring up CC control, now bring up a caption with Info as the default option.

I modify my suggestion to have CC as the default when the yellow button is pushed and Info when Info button pushed.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:40 AM

I've suggested LIST>LIST many times. :D

And you're not alone. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#443 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,131 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:46 AM

The Question Is . . . . .

What does the YELLOW Button do next?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#444 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,773 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

The Question Is . . . . .

What does the YELLOW Button do next?

Probably control PIP for the new HR34, unless they come out with a new remote control with dedicated PIP buttons, which I doubt they will.

#445 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

I modify my suggestion to have CC as the default when the yellow button is pushed and Info when Info button pushed.

I'd be fine with that. But since the Yellow button is going to be doing something else, DirecTV probably didn't want anyone getting used to that.

#446 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:10 PM

I'd be fine with that. But since the Yellow button is going to be doing something else, DirecTV probably didn't want anyone getting used to that.

I know you and RP have stated this categorically- but could that not be changed?

Isn't there some law that requires CC have easy access?

Via jpm's iThing (pad)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#447 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

I know you and RP have stated this categorically- but could that not be changed?

Could what be changed?

Yes, but it's vague. Also, although the law has been signed by Obama, I believe the "grace period" is still in effect.

#448 OFFLINE   CPanther95

CPanther95

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:41 AM

My HR21-100 has gotten extremely slow to respond to remote commands. Been like that since Saturday. Probably going to have to reboot soon. I've not seen it this slow in a loooong time.

Rebooting didn't help mine. Since the update, most of my DVRs have an unbearable lag between button presses and a response by the receiver. Then sometimes, it will have actually received all the commands and will execute them all 5 or 10 seconds later in rapid fire.

I'm also in the "CC is much worse" camp. This is a frequent use item that just got far more cumbersome. 7 buttons to turn on (would have been 6, but they placed the unneeded "DirecTV subtitles" ahead of CC) and 5 buttons to turn off. Adding in the intermittent reception of the remote signal makes it an ordeal.

CC has been around for over 20 years. We don't need a reminder that it is an available feature, we just need to be able to quickly activate and deactivate it. Personally, I'd rather the Format button be a dedicated CC toggle.

#449 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:57 AM

Via jpm's iThing (pad)

Don't think the word easy will be in there, easy for one might seem difficult for another. I'm very hard of hearing and need CC all of the time so since I never turn it off, I never have to turn it on. For people who use it only part of the time, you're right that it would be nice to have easier access.

#450 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:07 AM

I'm also in the "CC is much worse" camp. This is a frequent use item that just got far more cumbersome. 7 buttons to turn on (would have been 6, but they placed the unneeded "DirecTV subtitles" ahead of CC) and 5 buttons to turn off. Adding in the intermittent reception of the remote signal makes it an ordeal.

You must mean clicks because it only takes:

{INFO} or {YELLOW}
{RIGHT ARROW}
{DOWN ARROW}
{SELECT}

which is four buttons regardless of mode.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#451 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

Ah .. now see here is where I disagree and is what I've been saying (about myself) all along. CC is easier to get to because it's right there on the screen in front of you all of the time. Anyone (new user or long time user) can quickly and easily see what needs to be done. So when you use the word "easy" I'm 100% convinced that the new way is easier.

What the complaint has been all along is that the new way is not fast enough .. and the second big complaint is the buttons staring you in the face every time you press info.

I just think that if you're bringing an "easy access" law into play then I don't see how the new way is less easy. The part that wasn't readily apparent in the old way was the use of the yellow button to get to CC. If you didn't know what to do, then you first have to learn that fact.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#452 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:25 AM

You must mean clicks because it only takes:

{INFO} or {YELLOW}
{RIGHT ARROW}
{DOWN ARROW}
{SELECT}

which is four buttons regardless of mode.

I'm puzzled. I use DirecTV Subtitles and it takes six clicks:

{INFO} or {YELLOW}
{RIGHT ARROW}
{RIGHT ARROW}
{RIGHT ARROW}
{DOWN ARROW}
{SELECT}

It would take seven if I used CC.

Is it possible that the interface is different on different machines. I'm using an HR20-700.

#453 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

I'm puzzled. I use DirecTV Subtitles and it takes six clicks:

I was responding to the use of the word 'button' not 'clicks' .. subtle difference. Your sequence of clicks to make it happen is correct.

#454 OFFLINE   CPanther95

CPanther95

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

Silly semantics.

It takes 7 button presses. Not "clicks", because at least my buttons don't "click".

#455 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:37 AM

Silly semantics.

It takes 7 button presses. Not "clicks", because at least my buttons don't "click".

That works ..

#456 OFFLINE   CPanther95

CPanther95

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:46 AM

If I hadn't started watching so much BBC, my CC would be relegated to only showers and an occasional missed dialog. But while I can handle the BBC dialect fine, some of the unfamiliar words and phrases need to be double checked to make sure I heard them right.

... if they fix the lag in the remote response, I could blow through the 7 presses and get used to it. When you have to wait to see which ones were received, it exaggerates the longer sequence. It's still better than having to access the menu like we used to.

#457 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 06 June 2011 - 08:50 AM

Consider this current state a stop-gap .. There are more improvements on the way.

#458 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:30 AM

7 buttons to turn on (would have been 6, but they placed the unneeded "DirecTV subtitles" ahead of CC) and 5 buttons to turn off.

Hey, the DirecTV subtitles is the choice I always use...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#459 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Silly semantics.

But only five pushes, clicks, presses, mashes, activations, etc. to exit from CC.....

There's a code to enter what type of click you wish to hear, one that even sounds like the shutter of an SLR camera.

Well, OK, no sounds available.....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#460 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 03:09 PM

Consider this current state a stop-gap .. There are more improvements on the way.

... and stop-gaps shouldn't be in production software. :nono: It leads to annoyed and confused customers, as you can tell by the number of posts in this thread... :P
DirecTV since March 1998, HD since Oct. 2003

Protected By... spam firewall...And...