Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20/21/22/23/24, H21/23/24/25 & R22 (National Release) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
619 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

My HR22-100 was upgraded to 0x4a7 this morning. The slow response times to channel changing and menu surfing are gone.

Same here. I thought my DVR was broken. I'm glad I didn't have to buy a new one.

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 07 July 2011 - 01:34 PM.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:47 PM

Nope, you're just mistaken on the previous version number. No matter how small the tweak is, the version number will always change.

I guess what cause the confusion is that there is a thread titled 'HR20-700 received 0x4aa.. ' in the other area, and it was 'moved' to this one that is from the last NR. So clicking the link took me to the top of this one. It should have been made into a separate thread IMO, as now this thread is a hodge podge of different versions.

#543 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:49 PM

It should have been made into a separate thread IMO, as now this thread is a hodge podge of different versions.

I see where you're coming from, but on the other hand the change was probably so insignificant that it really doesn't justify a new thread.

#544 OFFLINE   dtaylor3

dtaylor3

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

What am I missing? I use to use the yellow button to get to bookmarks which I set in a recorded show. How do I do it with this new release (0x4a6)?

DVR: HR22-100

Press and hold for 3 seconds either the RW or FF button, depending on where the bookmark is in relation to where you are in the program, and it takes you to the next bookmark. Also to set, pause where you want the bookmark then press the green button. I haven't figured out how to delete a bookmark yet though.

#545 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:33 PM

I haven't figured out how to delete a bookmark yet though.

Can't be done.

#546 OFFLINE   bobfrapples

bobfrapples

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:03 PM

I got the 4a8 firmware on my HR24 last night, so menus and channel changse seem normal again. But rewinding and watching recorded material is still freezing and hiccuping. I hope the last couple weeks of software glitches and occasional resets did not fry my hard drive.

#547 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:06 PM

But rewinding and watching recorded material is still freezing and hiccuping. I hope the last couple weeks of software glitches and occasional resets did not fry my hard drive.

If you pause Live TV for a few seconds and start playing again, so you're behind live, do you experience the freezing and hiccuping?

#548 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

For the recent slowdown issue, see http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002

#549 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

I see where you're coming from, but on the other hand the change was probably so insignificant that it really doesn't justify a new thread.

Given the number of people who were reporting the problem and this 'emergency' update, IMO it was significant enough to have it's own thread instead of getting tacked onto the end of an old one.

#550 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

Got the 0x4a7 update early this morning. Took about 15 seconds for my HR22-100 to turn on. Thought I had another dead machine. Now all I can say is WOW! The guide, channel changes, even several layers of menus (which would slow this machine to a crawl) are a lot faster. I hope this speed holds up because it's nice to have a responsive DVR for once. Nice work DirecTV!!! :hurah:

#551 OFFLINE   srfrdan

srfrdan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

hi i got 0x4aa this morning in my hr20-700. my receivers got nothing yet. dan

#552 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I got 0x4a7 overnight. . . . .

Same here on my NR HR21-100

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#553 OFFLINE   SkippyJasper

SkippyJasper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

Received the update. Rebooted via the menu using the 'Reset to default' setting. Of course this meant losing all previously recorded material. At this point the unit was unwatchable.
Some improvement, but I've just RBR'd it as it wasn't taking modifications done via the menu.
Not impressed!
Unbelievable that a company feels it's acceptable to use it's customer base as beta testers.

Skippy

#554 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:43 PM

Are the release notes coming anytime soon?

#555 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Received the update. Rebooted via the menu using the 'Reset to default' setting. Of course this meant losing all previously recorded material. At this point the unit was unwatchable.
Some improvement, but I've just RBR'd it as it wasn't taking modifications done via the menu.
Not impressed!
Unbelievable that a company feels it's acceptable to use it's customer base as beta testers.

Skippy

If you got the newest update, why did you rebooted?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#556 OFFLINE   SkippyJasper

SkippyJasper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Still slow to respond to commands. Tried pausing and then watching from recorded portion complete with pixilation and chopped audio.
Some improvement since reboot, but still unimpressed.
I suppose if I wanted to only watch live TV, then a mere HD receiver would be OK. Of course then I'd watch OTA.
That's why I rebooted.
Skippy

#557 OFFLINE   bobfrapples

bobfrapples

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

If you pause Live TV for a few seconds and start playing again, so you're behind live, do you experience the freezing and hiccuping?

I tried pausing like you suggested and it too would stall. I paused it for like 10 seconds, and it basically ignored my clicks to resume. I tried turning to the other tuner, but then I would get 10 seconds of black screen again.

Gonna try restarting one more time to see if it takes last night's firmware better.

#558 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

I tried pausing like you suggested and it too would stall. I paused it for like 10 seconds, and it basically ignored my clicks to resume. I tried turning to the other tuner, but then I would get 10 seconds of black screen again.

Gonna try restarting one more time to see if it takes last night's firmware better.

Unfortunately, it sounds like your hard drive is on it's last legs. Re-downloading the software won't do anything.

#559 OFFLINE   bobfrapples

bobfrapples

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:04 PM

Yes, I figure that's the case as well. It's just too bad that it was fine before this software issue a couple of weeks ago.

I'm just posting to see if anyone else has this problem as well. SkippyJasper above actually might be on the same boat as me.

#560 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,712 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

Not impressed!

Skippy

Why did you reset to defaults? Whenever you do that all the guide data, posters, etc need to be downloaded again. This is what is slowing your DVR down now. After the upgrade you didn't need to reset to defaults.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall