Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20/21/22/23/24, H21/23/24/25 & R22 (National Release) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
619 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

HR24 (which had been better for a week or so) updated to a8, now has the early slow reponse syndrome again. HR22 updated to a7, still the same slow first channel change and long periods of no remote response as before.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:29 AM

DirecTV, I hope you guys realize that you are not doing yourselves any favors by putting out such crap software. Where is the testing department? Geez. My HR21-200 is now a big black brick. My kids are pretty happy with it right now (not). You guys should have to pay me for all the anguish I'm going through with my kids right now.

<rant over>

Yes, my HR21-200 is still slow. Took 15 minutes this morning to get it to recognize the GUIDE button on either the remote or front panel. Yes, 15 minutes. I've RBR'd it 6 times in the past 2 days.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#583 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:31 AM

HR24 (which had been better for a week or so) updated to a8, now has the early slow reponse syndrome again. HR22 updated to a7, still the same slow first channel change and long periods of no remote response as before.

What the hell is going on with these boxes? Wow! They add a new channel banner and it mucks up everything. Why don't they just leave stuff alone. Geez.

My HR24-100 has had to be rebooted 4 times and my HR21-200 6 times (if I haven't lost count). They are both ridiculously slow. Oh, and they lose the Whole Home connection about 2 times a day now too.

Way to go DirecTV!! Nothing but high quality software!!
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#584 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

What the hell is going on with these boxes? Wow! They add a new channel banner and it mucks up everything. Why don't they just leave stuff alone. Geez.

My HR24-100 has had to be rebooted 4 times and my HR21-200 6 times (if I haven't lost count). They are both ridiculously slow. Oh, and they lose the Whole Home connection about 2 times a day now too.

If I had to guess, I would say the majority of the issue (as far as not getting it fixed quickly) is due to the fact that the current software is "dead". I would suspect that nearly all of the development resources have been reallocated to the new HD GUI version. Since they have officially promised it by October, it would be very be hard to get resources away from that project to focus on fixing issues with the old versions.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#585 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

First, while I sympathize with your problem, and am not suggesting the software is causing it, you might want to look a little deeper or schedule a service call if you have the protection plan. My HR24 is as fast as ever, and I have no rebooted it once. My parents down the street have a HR20 and HR21, and my dad has had to reboot the HR21 once, a couple weeks ago, because it quit responding to the remote, but other than that one time, his boxes are running smoothly.

It truly sounds like you have another issue other than software, if it is affecting both your DVRs of different models.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#586 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:03 AM

If I had to guess, I would say the majority of the issue (as far as not getting it fixed quickly) is due to the fact that the current software is "dead". I would suspect that nearly all of the development resources have been reallocated to the new HD GUI version. Since they have officially promised it by October, it would be very be hard to get resources away from that project to focus on fixing issues with the old versions.

Just because they are changing the GUI doesn't mean the base control in the software has to be re-written or is "dead" at all. By changing to an HD GUI all they are doing is changing what it looks like, not how it operates.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#587 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

I hope you realize that with multiple reboots in a row all you are doing is wiping out your guide data. Rebuilding that guide data and processing posters, logos, etc (Which can take up to 48 hours to complete) will slow your unit down. If you're continuously dumping your data then it's continuously having to rebuild. Give it a day or more to settle then see how it performs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#588 OFFLINE   Golfman

Golfman

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts
  • LocationReston, VA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:22 PM

HR21-100
Diagnostic report key #: 20110709-25C2

This release exhibits very slow/sluggish performance for many functions. It can take 10-20 seconds to display the playlist. Select a playlist entry to play and it can take again 10-20 seconds to actually start the selected recording. It sits there and again spins it's wheels when a playlist entry is selected for deletion.

I have also experienced overnight spontaneous reboots the most recent of which occurred just 2 days ago, 7/7 at 3:31am.

I have tried several software reboots since this NR was pushed to the unit to try to clear the performance issues but they haven't helped.

Normally I run the most recent CE release but have decided to try the NR for a while after the CE version of this NR hosed my eSATA drive's playlist.

This is the worst performing NR I have received in a few years.

HR34-700, AM21, Samsung PN64E550 OnkyoTX-NR515 receiver 5.1 surround FIOS 50/25 high speed Internet
HR21-100,Fantom 2TB eSATA Toshiba 32AFX62, SWM, DECA, Whole Home
AT9-5LNB

#589 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:31 PM

HR21-100
Diagnostic report key #: 20110709-25C2

This release exhibits very slow/sluggish performance for many functions. It can take 10-20 seconds to display the playlist. Select a playlist entry to play and it can take again 10-20 seconds to actually start the selected recording. It sits there and again spins it's wheels when a playlist entry is selected for deletion.

I have also experienced overnight spontaneous reboots the most recent of which occurred just 2 days ago, 7/7 at 3:31am.

I have tried several software reboots since this NR was pushed to the unit to try to clear the performance issues but they haven't helped.

Normally I run the most recent CE release but have decided to try the NR for a while after the CE version of this NR hosed my eSATA drive's playlist.

This is the worst performing NR I have received in a few years.

That was a newer NR.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#590 OFFLINE   srfrdan

srfrdan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:59 PM

I got 0x4aa yesterday on both of my HR20's.

I have 1 external HD, a 1TB Seagate drive in a Rosewill enclosurse on my HR20-700 that has worked without an issue for over a year now.

Yesterday I noticed that after receiving the software update, the HR20-700 was not seeing the external drive.

I tried the following:

1. Leave external HD on, unplugg HR20 for 20-30 seconds and then plug back in. HR20 goes through self-check screens and boots up, still looking at internal drive.

2. Unplug External Drive and HR20. Plug in External Drive, let it boot up, then plug in HR20. Still not working

3. Unplug HR20 last night and left it unplugged overnight. Plugged HR in this morning and still seeing the internal drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

hi i put a 1.5t seagate on mine -hr20-700-and its worked thru all updates including this one for 1.75 yrs. it looks like u did it right but ill run thru it, too. the startup goes :unplug the esata and the dtv. set up the esata and plug it into the dtv. plug in the esata let boot for 30 sec then plug in the dtv and let that boot and it should work after the boot is complete. this worked for me twice, once when new and once when the esata's plug came out. when the plug came out it defaulted to the internal drive and i was like wow what happened to all my new recs. well try again and good luck dan

Edited by srfrdan, 09 July 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#591 OFFLINE   srfrdan

srfrdan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

since the last release my 3 receivers will show their screensavers while im veiwing. pressing ok will clear it but it leaves behind an error message code 721 even though i can veiw the picture again. rebooting gets that fixed but it does the screen saver thing again in a day, a few days whatever. i hope this new release fixes this problem. dan

#592 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

I hope you realize that with multiple reboots in a row all you are doing is wiping out your guide data. Rebuilding that guide data and processing posters, logos, etc (Which can take up to 48 hours to complete) will slow your unit down. If you're continuously dumping your data then it's continuously having to rebuild. Give it a day or more to settle then see how it performs.

I never said "in a row". Sorry. I should have stated "since the new software" which has been several days ago, so the reboots have been over the past week perhaps. Before the latest release I rarely if ever ha to RNR the boxes.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#593 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:07 AM

I previously reported that my HR21-200 was even slower after 4A7.

Yesterday I did a double RBR to flush the guide. Its completely rebuilt as of this morning and the box now seems to be performing better.

One nice consequence of reloading is that the To Do list now shows no "Will Not Record" shows AND that rescheduled shows are now listed in the list. Is this a 4a7 fix? or was it just a result of rebuilding the guide?

Whoops!! I spoke too soon. The List now has a few "Won't Record" items.

Edited by oldengineer, 10 July 2011 - 07:38 AM.
List changed

2H/1J

#594 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:38 AM

My HR20-700 received 04AA on July 7. I was not having response issues prior to that nor am I having response issues now.

But I do have playback freeze issues when watching recorded programs that I do not believe I had before 04AA. They seem to be triggered by fast forwarding or 30 sec skipping. Pausing the playback usually will clear up the issue.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

#595 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:51 AM

I previously reported that my HR21-200 was even slower after 4A7.

Yesterday I did a double RBR to flush the guide. Its completely rebuilt as of this morning and the box now seems to be performing better.

One nice consequence of reloading is that the To Do list now shows no "Will Not Record" shows AND that rescheduled shows are now listed in the list. Is this a 4a7 fix? or was it just a result of rebuilding the guide?

Whoops!! I spoke too soon. The List now has a few "Won't Record" items.

DARNIT, somebody's messing with me. I just checked my To Do List again and some Wont Record shows are gone and replacements are shown. At 9 tonite I had Leverage, Ice Road Truckers and True Blood scheduled. Damages was shown as rescheduled for 11:00 and its lowest in priority. However Wednesday night I've got 4 shows scheduled for 10:00; Damages, Necessary Roughness, Rescue Me and Through the Wormhole and 2 of them are listed as Wont Record.

2H/1J

#596 OFFLINE   Golfman

Golfman

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts
  • LocationReston, VA

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:30 AM

That was a newer NR.

It's listed in the Info screen as 0x4A7 which has been around since 5/11/2011 and was originally pushed to my unit in June.

HR34-700, AM21, Samsung PN64E550 OnkyoTX-NR515 receiver 5.1 surround FIOS 50/25 high speed Internet
HR21-100,Fantom 2TB eSATA Toshiba 32AFX62, SWM, DECA, Whole Home
AT9-5LNB

#597 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Just because they are changing the GUI doesn't mean the base control in the software has to be re-written or is "dead" at all. By changing to an HD GUI all they are doing is changing what it looks like, not how it operates.

Except for the fact that the HD GUI will bring significant performance improvements along with it, suggesting that they're also changing how it operates.

#598 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:27 AM

It's listed in the Info screen as 0x4A7 which has been around since 5/11/2011 and was originally pushed to my unit in June.

The HR21-100 went from 0x4A6 to 0x4A7 on 07/07 3:30 AM EDT.

Not every HR get the same software version number. As you can see in some of the posts in this thread, some HR are getting NR 0x4AA which is a higher number then 0x4A7.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#599 OFFLINE   tivoboy

tivoboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

I WAS having problems but didn't get around to checking here and on the box, but yesterday things were working much better.

more responsive, menus coming up quickly, NP list coming up quickly, clearing quickly, EXIT having some effect on menus, meaning it cleared them again,

so, I checked and indeed on 7/7 0x4aa was loaded. So, totally without knowing the new update has made things better.

Where is the thread about how bad things were?

#600 OFFLINE   bobfrapples

bobfrapples

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

I just had an observation about my lag/pixelation during playback of recorded material. It seems to only be lagging on HD material. I tried watching some recorded content from channel E! (not HD on D* obviously) and it didn't lag. I could fast forward, pause, rewind, skip, etc. without issue. I tried it on another non HD show as well and it worked. Don't know if it's because it's less data for the hard drive to process or if it's related to the firmware or HD signal feed.

This gets me a little more optimistic that another software push can solve my problem, and that I won't have to get a new receiver/hard drive.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...