Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NY Ranger Derek Boogaard dead

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

NY Rangers player Derek Boogaard died Friday.Very sad news.

http://www.myfoxny.c...ad-20110514-ncx

Edited by Jimmy 440, 14 May 2011 - 10:59 AM.
Typo

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WhoRu

WhoRu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:07 AM

His name is Derek Boogaard.

#3 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks,changed.I was talking & typing at the same time.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#4 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Or, better known as The Boogeyman.

Only 28 years old. So sad, he was just a kid.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#5 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

Just saw the thread, I know at the Excel Energy Center, where the Wild play, there was an impromptu memorial service started there, I believe from the Wild official forums, not sure. But from the sounds from twitter it was pretty big, with a few members of his family showing up.

Not to degrade anyone but was anything done in NY??? I know he only played a year there. And granted, he was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:38 PM

Just saw the thread, I know at the Excel Energy Center, where the Wild play, there was an impromptu memorial service started there, I believe from the Wild official forums, not sure. But from the sounds from twitter it was pretty big, with a few members of his family showing up.

Not to degrade anyone but was anything done in NY??? I know he only played a year there. And granted, he was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment.

Moderator, could ya change the subject to Derek not Eric please, for memorial's sake.

Changed it as soon as I saw post #2.

Condolences to family, friends, and fans.

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:42 PM

Changed it as soon as I saw post #2.

Condolences to family, friends, and fans.

That was quick, thanks Tom!!! ;)
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

Sorry to see Derek pass away..
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:41 PM

Nice article in the New Yorker about him: New Yorker Article

#10 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:36 PM

I haven't seen anything done in NY.... but not only did he play 5 seasons in Minnesota, he also came up through their minor league system after being their 7th round pick in 2001. So not surprising that they'd have something in Minnesota so soon after his death, being that he spent most of his professional career playing for the Wild or their affiliates.

Todd McLellan - the current coach of the Sharks - was Boogaards coach in the AHL with the Houston Aeros and had nothing but good things to say about the kid. In fact, for as feared as he was on the ice, he was loved in equal measure off the ice, from what I've heard.

It'll be interesting to see what the official cause of death ends up being. I know he missed much of this season with a concussion, and one has to wonder if that (and earlier head injuries he may have suffered) played any role in his death.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

Protected By... spam firewall...And...