Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Remote Access vs. Dish Online???

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

Both web apps can be accessed from the Dish Network site after logging in. They seem to provide the same features. Both allow you to schedule recordings on your DVR

Dish Remote Access opens in the same window and shows a sling logo in the top right corner. It shows a programming grid with all your channels. It also shows current and scheduled recordings.

Dish Online opens a new window or tab. It briefly shows a Beta login window and then goes to programming grid.

The both give access to your DVR, including the attached EHD, if any. Neither gives any indication whether any particular recording is internal or external.

Why are they both available? :confused:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Not certain, but it appears Dish Online will replace Remote Access after the beta.

#3 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:36 PM

Not certain, but it appears Dish Online will replace Remote Access after the beta.

Could be, it's stable. If the HD quality get racketed up......could be.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#4 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:19 PM

Wish they'd make up their mind and perfect one of them. Sure be nice to have a "favorites", it would load much faster with only the channels you wanted to look at. Would be very helpful when logging in from a phone, just way too much to scroll through. The original Sling log on seemed like it had more options, these just seem to be going in the wrong direction.

#5 OFFLINE   TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

I just tried Dish Online, and it seems pretty robust, most of the time anyway (sometimes the guide was slow to load). However, the DVR page isn't as informative as the one on the Remote Access site... I can't see if a scheduled program is set for my OTA or Dish channel (something I like to know if I need to resolve conflicts), and the guide doesn't show which programs are scheduled to record, except for the ones scheduled online. Hopefully, these features will be added.

#6 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

I just tried Dish Online, and it seems pretty robust, most of the time anyway (sometimes the guide was slow to load). However, the DVR page isn't as informative as the one on the Remote Access site... I can't see if a scheduled program is set for my OTA or Dish channel (something I like to know if I need to resolve conflicts), and the guide doesn't show which programs are scheduled to record, except for the ones scheduled online. Hopefully, these features will be added.

I agree. Dish Remote Access seems to be better. :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

I tried both and I prefer Dish Online beta. I like it because I can see all my channels that have guide data including my off-air stations (I get a few OOM signals OTA). Remote Access does not show those channels.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:50 PM

I tried both and I prefer Dish Online beta. I like it because I can see all my channels that have guide data including my off-air stations (I get a few OOM signals OTA). Remote Access does not show those channels.

I see just the opposite. DRA shows that I am currently recording 5-01, my local OTA ABC station. Dish Online does not show that channel. :confused:

#9 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Dish Online's interface is modern and slick, but it has about 1/100th of the features and functionality of DRA. But I guess it's beta so we have to wait it out.

Not happy about the lack of customizing, filters, tweaks, etc... and where's the "later" option? You used to be able to show a whole list of all matches to your query that were upcoming in the next 7 days or so. Not present in Dish Online. For that matter, the "Later" option is absent from the latest update to the Android app as well. :mad: Not happy about the direction things are going.

I do like how if you expand a list of episodes for a show, you see them all at once and not just 3 at a time. Now, if only it allowed sorting...

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:02 PM

Now I'm certain. When you log into Remote Access you get a message that Dish Online will indeed replace it very soon. I guess we'll have to get used to it :(

#11 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:15 PM

Now I'm certain. When you log into Remote Access you get a message that Dish Online will indeed replace it very soon. I guess we'll have to get used to it :(

Yes...but hard to get used to when you have no browser that works on it!!!!(more than one) So i sure hope they wake up and fix its many problems.

#12 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 22 May 2011 - 06:43 PM

At least Dish admits their "Online" is beta.......the dish/sling was rolled out as ready for primetime, which it was not, yet now is much better and apparently going away.......several of the features with "Dish Online" do not work though, the watch on TV is non functional, there are reports of the recording feature not operating, and there's no clock on the page, a clock would be helpful and convenient. Dish in the message does state,
"DISH Online will include DVR scheduling and management features plus many more," which will be helpful if not imperative.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#13 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:13 PM

Yes...but hard to get used to when you have no browser that works on it!!!!(more than one) So i sure hope they wake up and fix its many problems.

Amen to that. But you can get it working at least in Chrome using the IE Tab plugin.

#14 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

Amen to that. But you can get it working at least in Chrome using the IE Tab plugin.

Ill try it......right from dish support " dont even try Chrome"......That was about a month ago....shouldnt they tell people when or if they upgrade somthing?????

#15 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:07 AM

Ill try it......right from dish support " dont even try Chrome"......That was about a month ago....shouldnt they tell people when or if they upgrade somthing?????

Works OK with the Linux version of Chrome. I did notice that the grid includes channels to which we do not subscribe, unlike the non-beta version.

#16 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

Technically it doesn't work in chrome, so support is correct. But IE Tab is a chrome plugin which runs IE inside Chrome. So you'd actually be running it in IE within a chrome tab. But it's seamless and works well.

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:22 AM

Both web apps can be accessed from the Dish Network site after logging in. They seem to provide the same features. Both allow you to schedule recordings on your DVR

Dish Remote Access opens in the same window and shows a sling logo in the top right corner. It shows a programming grid with all your channels. It also shows current and scheduled recordings.

Dish Online opens a new window or tab. It briefly shows a Beta login window and then goes to programming grid.

The both give access to your DVR, including the attached EHD, if any. Neither gives any indication whether any particular recording is internal or external.

Why are they both available? :confused:

I haven't tried it yet.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

I see more info re: a description of the program with DRA than I do with DishOnline so this is definitely a step backwards IMO. And isn't it redundant to call this Beta? isn't everything Dish produces Beta? LOL

#19 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

I see more info re: a description of the program with DRA than I do with DishOnline so this is definitely a step backwards IMO.

There's lots of missing functionality. Besides no "Later" option, it doesn't show all episodes if you have a lot for one show and expand the group.

DRA is much, much more powerful, versatile and useful.

#20 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:07 PM

I also much prefer DRA as far as DVR management goes. The one feature I really like on DishOnline is the option to filter movies on this week by highest rating then set those to DVR. I found a bunch of good stuff to record using this filter. I'm glad I bought that 2TB EHD!

With Dish phasing out DRA, I hope they provide the current DRA management features to DishOnline. I can't even see what time a show is recording with DishOnline, only the date.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...