Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Remote Access vs. Dish Online???

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fpembleton

fpembleton

Mentor

• Unregistered / Not Logged In
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

Dish Remote Access went through a history of bugs since inception...I have had a 922 a couple of years. It was a process where Dish perfected Dish Remote Access through trial and error ( so it seems). The application, at the present time (before it was killed), was near perfection in my opinion. I personally could rely on it to access either recordings on my 922 or watch live tv from Dish. The interface was very customer friendly in my view so after a year or so of going through periods of unreliability and having a finished product that I became comfortable with, the Dish Online website is not what I thought I would have to live with. If it worked reliably for me that would be great but that is not even close to the case. It seems to be a hit and miss of trying to watch live TV or recorded material.. I hope Dish will consider letting DRA an option and reinstate it.
"Revenge is the weak pleasure of a narrow mind"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Dish Remote Access went through a history of bugs since inception...I have had a 922 a couple of years. It was a process where Dish perfected Dish Remote Access through trial and error ( so it seems). The application, at the present time (before it was killed), was near perfection in my opinion. I personally could rely on it to access either recordings on my 922 or watch live tv from Dish. The interface was very customer friendly in my view so after a year or so of going through periods of unreliability and having a finished product that I became comfortable with, the Dish Online website is not what I thought I would have to live with. If it worked reliably for me that would be great but that is not even close to the case. It seems to be a hit and miss of trying to watch live TV or recorded material.. I hope Dish will consider letting DRA an option and reinstate it.

I think it has everything to do with the "Rental" business of the online venue. Remote Access had no real monetary gain for Dish TV, it is/was a application used exclusively for Dish customers to remotely view their paid for program guide and their recorded stuff. The more I think about this move it makes perfect business sense for Dish, and with some of the comments I've read here and elsewhere there is a small but vocal contingency that could care less.....the "get over it" folks. So.....I imagine Dish customers are left with the obvious, Remote Access is a thing of the past. Most will "get over it", I just hope viewers will eventually be capable of looking at their guide or DVR contents without leaving the program being viewed......the way it works now is really lame.
By the way, I logged in today to RA.......it went dark in less then a minute, so I logged in again and it worked....but, when I tried to look around or change channels it went the no connection route......Hey Dish how about a comment from someone in authority?
Oh yea, refreshing the DVR on DO is hit and miss at best.

Edited by 356B, 28 August 2011 - 07:35 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#23 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

I find Dish Online very irritating now. It now shows all channels instead of just those I subscribe to like it used to and the way it was with RA. This makes for longer lists to deal with and having to sometimes double check channels to see if I get them or not. I do all of my recording setup online so this change is significant.

Craig T

#24 OFFLINE   hohlraum

hohlraum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:29 AM

Is anyone else not able to see their timers or recorded shows from dishonline? Why did they remove the option for Remote Access before Online was fully cooked? Morons! :mad:

#25 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

There is more information here.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=196522
Thank you and
Best of luck

#26 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

What works on a Nexus 7? The only thing I can seem to stream is Epixhd through a browser (Xscope). The app Epix doesn't work, force closes. Dish Remote Access doesn't seem to work... but I can see the guide and all my dvr'd shows. But when played, black screen and Sirius radio playing. Dish online through the browser directs me to Sling Player at the Play store... for $29.99... I already have a sling adaptor.

What's the story? Dish just not caught up to Jelly Bean?

#27 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm not kidding. It works perfectly fine on my wife's Nexus. You're not the only person reporting the Sirius problem, though. Someone else mentioned it in the Hopper forum.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#28 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

Is she rooted? I don't believe I have any odd apps installed, not rooted. Maybe it's a router thing, mine's an old Linksys WRT54G. I get an error that I need to reconnect to it when I first log-in, but it sees my DVR shows so that's wrong. I also get the screen text that someone is connected on my TV. So it acts like it's working, just get the radio thing.

I'm not kidding. It works perfectly fine on my wife's Nexus. You're not the only person reporting the Sirius problem, though. Someone else mentioned it in the Hopper forum.

#29 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Nope. No root, no nothing (which is a switch for me). Just vanilla Jellybean, no mods or root.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#30 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

I posted this in Hopper thread, but thought I'd share here too:

Just got it working. The method: click the right button in the app after the radio station starts, your presets. Enter a channel number. That channel will actually start playing! Then after that, anything you play from the guide or dvr list will play (after a few seconds of buffering).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...