Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Caller ID switches to "Name unavailable"

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrmy

jrmy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

After a few rings, my caller ID switches from the caller's name and number to "Name unavailable", and puts a separate entry in the call log.

I have a 722K. Anyone else have this issue? I'm using Ooma. My cordless handsets record the caller ID like they should with just one entry.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bilzfan

bilzfan

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

After a few rings, my caller ID switches from the caller's name and number to "Name unavailable", and puts a separate entry in the call log.

I have a 722K. Anyone else have this issue? I'm using Ooma. My cordless handsets record the caller ID like they should with just one entry.

I have exactly the same scenario. Ooma telo and 722k. Same result.
Home: Dish Network 2 Vip722K DuoDVRs with OTA tuners installed, Panasonic TH-46PZ80U plasma, Olevia 237 lcd, Yamaha HTR-5950 receiver, Yahama S540 DVD player, Playstation 3 - 40GB, Xbox 360 - 20GB, Nintendo Wii, LAN with 3 Win7 desktops, 2 Win7 notebooks & Windows 2008 Server
Cars: 2 Kenwood EZ900hds with Sirius, Honda Navigation with XM.

#3 OFFLINE   oldanbo

oldanbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

ooma Telo and 622 :eek2:

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Ooma and 722k - same thing.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

Probably a compatibility issue between our equipment. I was looking through Ooma's site and ran across the statement

"Customer Service: We assume no obligation to provide support services for any third party products or services, or for problems with our service caused by third party products or services."

I'm gonna try and find out if anything can be done

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#6 OFFLINE   oldanbo

oldanbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:16 PM

Thanks and good luck Matt! :)

#7 OFFLINE   V35_Pilot

V35_Pilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have been encountering this issue on my 722 for a couple of years now. We use another VoIP provider out of the Northeast US called Viatalk.

It is a nuisance but I never thought to report it until reading it here.

#8 OFFLINE   jrmy

jrmy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:27 PM

I'm gonna try and find out if anything can be done

Any update?

This is annoying. :goofygrin

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:46 PM

So, delete the Unavailable entry. It does show the proper caller-id first doesn't it?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

FYI... I have U-Verse digital phone... and have a standard phone connected... and my regular phone has the same kinds of dropping of info from time to time.

It isn't always telemarketers masking info either. I've gotten calls from family where one day the ID is there, the next day I get wrong or "No info" messages on the phone.

I hope Dish is working at this with their receiver... but I figure its worth noting that some of the problem appears to be the caller ID data transmission system itself not always being reliable.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:54 PM

I always get the correct caller-id prior to the Unavailable entry which doesn't happen all that frequently. I don't see it as a big deal at least with the phone system I have.

#12 OFFLINE   jrmy

jrmy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:00 PM

You want me to delete every other entry in the call log instead of asking Dish to fix a functionality that a caller ID box from 20 years ago performs flawlessly?

The issue that I find annoying is that "Name unavailable" stays on the screen a period of time after the phone stops ringing (perhaps longer than the correct name is displayed, although I haven't timed it)

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Well, I guess it sucks to be you. I get the same thing and it just doesn't seem like it's worth getting upset over. I suppose if everything in one's life is pretty much perfect then this little annoyance is worth getting upset over. I'm just not quite there yet.
All the best.

#14 OFFLINE   jrmy

jrmy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Well, I guess it sucks to be you. I get the same thing and it just doesn't seem like it's worth getting upset over. I suppose if everything in one's life is pretty much perfect then this little annoyance is worth getting upset over. I'm just not quite there yet.
All the best.

Who is upset? I could have swore I was in the forum for "Support and discussion for Dish Network™ ViP612/622/722/722K receivers."

I point out a bug, completely relevant to the category of discussion, and a moderator of the forum chooses to attack me. :rolleyes:

#15 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:19 AM

Well, since this doesn't affect the functionality of the DVR, I just think it's pretty far down the list of things that Dish should address. How about getting us a decent interface when dealing with the EHD? Or, fixing the search function so we don't have to clear the previous search criteria to initiate a new one? There are more.

#16 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

Well, since this doesn't affect the functionality of the DVR, I just think it's pretty far down the list of things that Dish should address. How about getting us a decent interface when dealing with the EHD? Or, fixing the search function so we don't have to clear the previous search criteria to initiate a new one? There are more.

Wow.

-- Roger

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,612 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

I never understood why this option was even in the system. I can't imagine having anything else pop-up on the screen while watching TV.

Since it doesn't appear to be working to your liking, turn it off.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#18 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:51 AM

jrmy,

One thing you can do to determine if the issue is a compatibility issue between the 722 and your Ooma, connect your phone line directly into the receiver (bypassing the Ooma), place a call to that line, and see if the caller ID shows the information of the caller. If it does register the information connected directly to the receiver, it is a compatibility issue. Please let me know the results. Thanks.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,977 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:07 PM

One thing you can do to determine if the issue is a compatibility issue between the 722 and your Ooma, connect your phone line directly into the receiver (bypassing the Ooma), place a call to that line, and see if the caller ID shows the information of the caller.

You can't very well bypass the Ooma since the Ooma is where the "phone line" originates.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   jrmy

jrmy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

jrmy,

One thing you can do to determine if the issue is a compatibility issue between the 722 and your Ooma, connect your phone line directly into the receiver (bypassing the Ooma)

As harsh said, Ooma is my phone line.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...