Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Caller ID switches to "Name unavailable"

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 566 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

Is there a disclaimer that addresses this? Dish claims they support caller-id. If it's only in certain circumstances they should admit it. All my phones that support caller-id have no problems decoding the Ooma. Maybe Dish should work with Ooma and get this worked out.

I'm sure there's something in our customer agreement that covers it (I think section 7-B covers it)

I did report the issue, but I could not give any ETA as to if/when it would be fixed.

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:29 AM

Is there a disclaimer that addresses this? Dish claims they support caller-id. If it's only in certain circumstances they should admit it. All my phones that support caller-id have no problems decoding the Ooma. Maybe Dish should work with Ooma and get this worked out.

DISH gear works just fine with at least ViaTalk, Vonage and VoIPO. This is not a "DISH needs to fix it" issue. It's an Ooma needs to use standard specs issue. If they are altering the type of CID that you get with whatever level of service that you have, that means that there is an altered CID signal happening. This is not a standard spec and not a DISH issue.

#43 OFFLINE   jrmy

jrmy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

DISH gear works just fine with at least ViaTalk, Vonage and VoIPO. This is not a "DISH needs to fix it" issue. It's an Ooma needs to use standard specs issue. If they are altering the type of CID that you get with whatever level of service that you have, that means that there is an altered CID signal happening. This is not a standard spec and not a DISH issue.

I disagree. I remember GTE offering the option of number or name and number caller ID in the early 1990s. Just because different information is being passed does not mean that it's a different signal.

The fact that I can't reproduce this issue on any caller ID capable device seems to point to the issue being with Dish.

Edited by jrmy, 28 July 2011 - 03:00 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   V35_Pilot

V35_Pilot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

DISH gear works just fine with at least ViaTalk, Vonage and VoIPO.

Cannot comment on the other two, but as a long-time Dish and ViaTalk customer I will again point out that the OP's problem definitely occurs with regular frequency on my VIP722 and ViaTalk as the VOIP provider. It is a nuisance.
15 year Dish Network Customer

#45 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:44 PM

This is not a "DISH needs to fix it" issue. It's an Ooma needs to use standard specs issue.

I respectfully disagree. Dish is decoding the Ooma stream correctly then, for whatever reason, decides the caller-id is unavailable. I think Dish, at least, needs to investigate how they handle caller-id.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#46 OFFLINE   oldanbo

oldanbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

I respectfully disagree. Dish is decoding the Ooma stream correctly then, for whatever reason, decides the caller-id is unavailable. I think Dish, at least, needs to investigate how they handle caller-id.

I wonder if Ooma is sending additional data in the caller id stream and that is what causes the problem? I've just been ignoring it. Might be a good idea to check the Ooma.com forums. Or I can just ignore it. Hmmmmm

#47 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I tend to ignore it but it's an issue that Dish probably needs to investigate. It is annoying. If Dish won't contact Ooma to work this out I will submit a trouble ticket with Ooma.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#48 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,980 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

For reference, I use Viatalk with a BYOD Linksys PAP2T SIP adapter and CID works just dandy.

The preponderance of difficulty with Ooma devices suggests the problem is most likely there.

CID isn't that complicated and all the data is supposed to come between the first and second ring at 75 baud.

Edited by harsh, 28 July 2011 - 11:53 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#49 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

I have escalated this to Ooma Technical Support. I'm now convinced this is an Ooma issue and not a Dish problem. This doesn't happen with Ooma Hub; only the Ooma Telo system. The Name Unavailable only happens once it rolls to voice mail either naturally or manually sending via Ooma Telo Handset.
Once I get a response from Ooma, I'll post it.
I have a bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce that states "I put that $#@& on everything". I hope it goes with crow. :)

Edited by Kent Taylor, 04 August 2011 - 09:49 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:36 AM

Let me add my observations about the "Name Unavailable" issue...

I have a 622 with the AT&T "all options" land line connected directly from a wall outlet to the receiver. I noticed this entry occasionally being stored in the caller ID history, but never seeing it pop-up on the screen real-time.

I finally narrowed it down to where I could cause this to happen...it happens every time I am either watching a pre-recorded program, or if I pause a real-time program when the phone rings.

The "real" caller ID will pop-up on the screen, I press the pause button, press select to clear the pop-up, answer the phone and after the call I hang up the phone and resume the program.

Now when I check my caller-ID log I find the "real" caller ID and a "Name Unavailable" entry in the log, both with the exact same time/date stamps. The "Name Unavailable" entry never popped up on my screen, but is stored back-to-back with the actual caller ID.

Seems like if you pause the receiver while the phone is still ringing I get two entries in the log...if I answer the phone without pausing the receiver only the "real" caller ID is stored....strange, but it is real...
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#51 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

I got a call today from Ooma; not sure if it was a technical support person or not as she was rather vague as to her function. I explained the issue I had been reporting and she didn't seem to think it was an Ooma issue. I further explained that it only happened on the Telo and not the Hub and perhaps Engineering could determine what the difference in the two units might be. She told me if I wanted that feature to work I should buy the Hub. I politely thanked her and ended the conversation. I don't see this issue getting much traction with Ooma. I was rather disappointed in the response.
I'm still convinced it's an Ooma issue.
I also notice, on a separate issue, that the 722k does not recognize incoming calls on my second line.

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,980 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

I also notice, on a separate issue, that the 722k does not recognize incoming calls on my second line.

Does the service/device support CID on line 2?

IIRC, some of the "free second line" offerings don't support incoming calls on the second line and you're forced to use call waiting on line 1.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...