Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (153 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (37 votes [24.03%])

Percentage of vote: 24.03%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.25%])

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.69%])

Percentage of vote: 11.69%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (94 votes [61.04%])

Percentage of vote: 61.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I was just over at the Directv site, and they now have four 3D channels! Dish, zero. Even the stodgy old cable companies have 3D. Comcast has three 3D channels, and Time Warner one channel. Where's Dish?

According to an In-Stat report released yesterday, sales of 3D televisions are up 500% from last year. They also predict that soon all TVs over 40" will have 3D built-in. The prices of 1080p 3D projectors are also coming down. In-Stat predicts that by 2015 300 million households worldwide will have a 3D TV.

Also this month, another research firm, iSuppli, confirms In-Stat's numbers, and predicts 3D TV shipments up 463 percent in 2011, with a total of 23.4 million units shipped. They see 3D TV shipments increasing by 132 percent in 2012, with 54.2 million units shipped. By 2015, iSuppli predicts that over half of all TVs shipped will be 3D.

I've already heard reports from people who moved from Dish to Directv for the 3D content.

When I was at CES, and asked the Dish people about 3D, their response was, "We just don't see the 3D content yet." That's not forward thinking. They are going to be left behind.

Any company in the technology business needs to stay current, or perish.

Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

No they don't need to. They need to get RSN's, and then broadcast them in HD. They first need to get MLB, more international news channels, and some other things.

Statisically, virtually no one has 3D TV's, and statiscally, there is virtually no real amount of movies or TV shows to warrent most getting 3D.

You are falling for the 500%, a very old trick. If two people have something, and now there is a 500% increase, that's 10 people. I encourage people to switch to whoever they want if 3D is that important. I want Dish to get the things mentioned above, and keep ahead in the amount of HD channels. There are multitude of articles about 3D tv's stacking up in the warehouses. Not saying this won't change at some time (though I have my doubts) but there are many things far more important than getting 3D.

There are some people who buy them because they want the highest level TV. And there are some who are waiting for the technology to shake out regarding glasses. finally, there was a surge in the first couple of months this year, but Best buy recently reported a slow down again.

Edited by tampa8, 18 May 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   jpalmer

jpalmer

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

There's a lot of things dish network needs to get up to date with i service both systems with my compay and they are so far behind with there technology alone. There activation stinks for a installer pov and with MDUs ( wich i work in) the MFH2 system for directv is so much easier to work on than the MDU system for dish which they still run there equipment off of the dp-44.:nono2:

#4 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

No they don't need to. They need to get RSN's, and then broadcast them in HD. They first need to get MLB, more international news channels, and some other things.

Statisically, virtually no one has 3D TV's, and statiscally, there is virtually no real amount of movies or TV shows to warrent most getting 3D.

You are falling for the 500%, a very old trick. If two people have something, and now there is a 500% increase, that's 10 people. I encourage people to switch to whoever they want if 3D is that important. I want Dish to get the things mentioned above, and keep ahead in the amount of HD channels. There are multitude of articles about 3D tv's stacking up in the warehouses. Not saying this won't change at some time (though I have my doubts) but there are many things far more important than getting 3D.

There are some people who buy them because they want the highest level TV. And there are some who are waiting for the technology to shake out regarding glasses. finally, there was a surge in the first couple of months this year, but last figure I saw was 2 million. that's nothing.

Good observations!

My criteria for moving to 3-D:

A - ONE (1) world-wide standard for 3D
B - NO glasses
C - Significantly more programming; just how many times can a human be expected to watch Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs?

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Good observations!

My criteria for moving to 3-D:

A - ONE (1) world-wide standard for 3D
B - NO glasses
C - Significantly more programming; just how many times can a human be expected to watch Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs?

I'm with you!

As to the sales of 3D tvs, yep there is an increase but the numbers aren't huge and include sales of things like the '3D ready' sets that need another box to actually do 3D.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#6 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Dave Schull the Sr VP of Programming for DISH Network [...] said that 3D Linear channels are coming to DISH this summer but did not give any details. He also mentioned that 722's will support 3D shortly.

Source: http://www.satellite...ughts-pics.html

BTW, "linear channels" are regular programming channels as opposed to video-on-demand or streaming sources.

-- Roger

#7 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm with you!

As to the sales of 3D tvs, yep there is an increase but the numbers aren't huge and include sales of things like the '3D ready' sets that need another box to actually do 3D.

Plus if someone chooses to purchase a top-of-the-line set today, it will likely have 3D. I wonder how many sets never get used for 3D.

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

Plus if someone chooses to purchase a top-of-the-line set today, it will likely have 3D. I wonder how many sets never get used for 3D.

Yep, that has been mentioned in articles. Some of the best HD sets include 3D, so those that can afford it, get it as being the best, not so much for the HD.

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

I'm with you!

But don't many folks already have that 'other' box so they can do 3D? All those millions of PS3's out there can do 3D. The DIRECTV H21 and HR21 and higher boxes all support 3D. IIRC Dish has said that the 722 will get 3D support along with the 922's out there. Cable companies also have STB's available that support 3D and if you have a HDTV chances are you already have a STB attached to that TV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

Probably about the same percentage as the sets that never get used for real HDTV :lol: .
(How many sets are connected by RF Cable from a converter or sat box, or just use s-vhs or even component video?)

#11 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

To my knowledge, and admittedly that's limited, Samsung and Mitsubishi were the sets that needed the 3D adapter. I don't need that on my 2009 Mits because my Panasonic 3D BD player will output the checkerboard format Mits uses. And I don't need it on my 2010 Mits because a firmware update took care of it. Starting with the 2010 models Mitsubishi no longer needs the box. Don't know about Samsung.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:58 PM

You are falling for the 500%, a very old trick. If two people have something, and now there is a 500% increase, that's 10 people. I encourage people to switch to whoever they want if 3D is that important. I want Dish to get the things mentioned above, and keep ahead in the amount of HD channels.

Why do you assume I fell for some trick? I also said that the TV manufacturers are predicted to ship 23 million 3D televisions this year. That's not two or ten or a hundred or a thousand.

The problem I see is people are projecting their own likes or dislikes for 3D, and assuming everyone is like them. Frankly, most of the people saying they don't like 3D are older. The generation before them, still don't see a need to own a computer. However, the next generation is already playing games in 3D, and, yes, wearing the 3D glasses for long periods of time.

Michael

#13 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

Frankly, most of the people saying they don't like 3D are older. The generation before them, still don't see a need to own a computer. However, the next generation is already playing games in 3D, and, yes, wearing the 3D glasses for long periods of time.

Michael

My wife and I love 3D. We have 3 of 'em. And we're 73. I also have a houseful of various and sundry electronic toys and an EVO. You should see the expressions on the very young cashiers faces when I whip out the EVO and show them the Reward Zone coupons at Best Buy. But I understand I'm not the typical grandpa. But I do know several like me. I think it depends, at least for we youth challenged on what we did for a living.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

Frankly, most of the people saying they don't like 3D are older.

Talk about projecting opinions.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#15 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:12 PM

Talk about projecting opinions.

Not really. From a study done in Nov. 11-14, 2010 by Caravan,

"While respondents under the age of 45 showed stronger household interest in purchasing a 3DTV (20 percent), one in 10 respondents over the age of 45 indicated that they either own or planned to buy one within the next two years."

Michael

#16 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

Probably about the same percentage as the sets that never get used for real HDTV :lol: .
(How many sets are connected by RF Cable from a converter or sat box, or just use s-vhs or even component video?)

See it all the time. Digital converter boxes setup to HDTVs. Even unhooked a DTV install that had the HD receiver connected to a 42" HDTV with an RF modulator. :nono2: :lol:

#17 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:13 PM

Not really. From a study done in Nov. 11-14, 2010 by Caravan,

"While respondents under the age of 45 showed stronger household interest in purchasing a 3DTV (20 percent), one in 10 respondents over the age of 45 indicated that they either own or planned to buy one within the next two years."

Michael

Where does that quote state that most older people do not like 3D?
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#18 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

Why do you assume I fell for some trick? I also said that the TV manufacturers are predicted to ship 23 million 3D televisions this year. That's not two or ten or a hundred or a thousand.

Michael

And now you fell for another trick. "The manufacturer predicted" means nothing, no more than hype. That is no different than Dish saying something is coming "Soon." I am telling you actual facts not predictions. 3D TV's are backed up in the warehouses and 3D games are not selling as was predicted. That's now. And that's my whole point. I don't see that Dish has to bypass other missing things for 3D at this time. It is fully possible in the future there will be a demand. I posted before and it holds true, not one of my friends or anyone I associate with enough to know, has a 3D TV, and most all only have one HD TV in the house.

In the first link, notice how Samsung predicted 3D would result in 3 million sales, admitted 1 million.
http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118029948

http://www.sltrib.co...ording.html.csp

http://www.wired.com...endo-3ds-sales/

Edited by tampa8, 18 May 2011 - 09:28 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,284 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

But don't many folks already have that 'other' box so they can do 3D? All those millions of PS3's out there can do 3D. The DIRECTV H21 and HR21 and higher boxes all support 3D. IIRC Dish has said that the 722 will get 3D support along with the 922's out there. Cable companies also have STB's available that support 3D and if you have a HDTV chances are you already have a STB attached to that TV.

You're thinking of the source boxes for 3D. I'm referring to the converter boxes needed to make that '3D ready' set actually be able to do 3D. Like the Mitsibushi rear projectors for instance.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#20 OFFLINE   garygaryj

garygaryj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

I'm leaving DirecTV to join Dish Network because they were sinking too much money into 3D (amongst other things like PPV, and Sports) and not enough into good regular HD channels upon which they built their subscriber base.

I definitely hope Dish does not sink that kind of money into 3D, and stays with what most people want - high quality HD for high quality channels.

Just my opinion, though. Maybe those who want 3D can trade, and you can join D*TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...