Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (155 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (38 votes [24.36%])

Percentage of vote: 24.36%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.21%])

Percentage of vote: 3.21%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (95 votes [60.90%])

Percentage of vote: 60.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#451 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,162 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

He also found the restrictions on viewing angles very annoying for normal TV viewing and didn't believe it would ever find wide acceptance with problems like that.

Did it mention what set it was? I have a Samsung Plasma and no problems with viewing angles for 2D or 3D, or should say the same issues that any set would have. It uses 3D active glasses and I can go all over the room with them and no problems cause by viewing angles. I have heard that for passive glasses that can be a problem.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#452 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:36 PM

Back to the original topic: Read an article yesterday where the reviewer lived with a new 3D TV for three weeks. His conclusion: 3D is wonderful for games. Good for animatation. Not worth much for 3D TV channels like ESPN 3D. He also found the restrictions on viewing angles very annoying for normal TV viewing and didn't believe it would ever find wide acceptance with problems like that. His only hope for widespread acceptance of 3D was a glasses free technology. But he was very happy with the 2D picture quality of his 3D TV. Seemed to echo another review of 3D I read some time ago. That reviewer recommended buying a 3D ready TV because they were the top of the line in 2D picture quality.

Great observation. And I have been reading more and more on that more people are being exposed to 3D and not faring too well. I know I have to wait sometime, depending no how long I have been exposed, to get my ability for "real" world 3D back in sync. Johnny Depp didn't attend the opening of the last PotC, because it was in 3D and he can't see it. Which we are finding out that this is not a small cross section of the population. The current technology is just too archaic and rushed to market.

I'm seeing that more people are discovering this after they purchase without the forethought of any repercussions. It's just not something that one thinks about until after you have purchased, been exposed and are forced to realize. Sales hype is a very powerful thing. And what with the power of just a small amount of highly positive reviews, people jump. Luckily none of my clients want it. They are just not interested. Or if we do go with a 3D set, we don't do anything further on the 3D side. But max it out for 2D and leave it.

I have always known that "artificial" 3D is contrary to the human condition and that we just aren't there yet in the technology. Not saying that we we won't be . . . someday. But not just yet. What is really needed is "one" specification on the format so that development can be focused on it and no Betamax/VHS or DVD/BD squabbling. And the way manufacturers throw stuff on the market just to get the newest and latest out there whether it be try and true or not just adds to the mindset of "we'll work it out later" or "what they don't find out/realize until after the return period is over, won't hurt us".

#453 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

What has happen to the hue and cry for 3D channels or have we given up hope that the technology is still not ready for prime time and has faded into the mist like many times before?

#454 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

If the Dolby/Phillips glasses free 3D is as reported, it will kick start the entire 3D program!
Red

#455 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

If the Dolby/Phillips glasses free 3D is as reported, it will kick start the entire 3D program!

The last article I read, and I forget where, around the beginning of October, states that they had refocused the technology toward out of home media, such as billboards, bus shelters, movie posters and such.

Did not give any indication that they were even working on bringing it to movie theaters or home television. This was the first article I had seen since last spring when they made the initial announcement of their technology break through.

Perhaps they read the writing on the wall and decided to take it toward a media they expect can support their research until the home markets are more tolerable of the product.

#456 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Dish can't even get the Locals, ESPNU or full time sports channels in HD, how in the hell do you think they will get 3-D right. :nono2:

#457 OFFLINE   jclangston

jclangston

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Dish can't even get the Locals, ESPNU or full time sports channels in HD, how in the hell do you think they will get 3-D right. :nono2:

They could, Dish just elects not to pay for them. ie Charlie

#458 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I hate to say it... but even the 3D die-hards have not been as vocal in quite a while... I'm left to conclude this was yet another blip on the radar.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#459 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

I hate to say it... but even the 3D die-hards have not been as vocal in quite a while... I'm left to conclude this was yet another blip on the radar.

Folks get excited about 3D every 20 to 40 years. It has been that way since photography was invented. Got a stereopticon or a Stereo Realist in your attic?

#460 OFFLINE   John79605

John79605

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have a Realist in the attic. I also have a Viewmaster camera.

#461 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have a ViewMaster. Don't even think we can get content for it anymore? All of this new fangled technology needs serious refinement before it's pushed in our faces. Even Peter Jackson's Hobbit at 48fps is said to be giving previewers in NZ migraines. A pig with lipstick is still a pig with lipstick. Unless it's in 4K 3D 48fps, then it's a very crisp, clear pig with lipstick in your face at a frame rate that will fry your brain. I'm seeing profits before practicality and that's what's driving most of this. Other than consumer novelty fadism. To get us to abandon what we just bought for something new and "innovative" even though that innovation is not complete and we pay to be Guinea Pigs/beta testers for these products. And what most people don't realize in their call for networks and whatnot to jump on the fad bandwagon, is the cost of and the infrastructure to implement this unrefined technology. They just want what they saw at Walmart. There are many areas that DISH needs to get working/fixed way before worrying about 3D. Innovation is great, just make sure it doesn't turn my brain to anymore mush than it already is and my pocket book any emptier for untried and true products or services or any undue encumbrances on my service providers for services that will not fully work and I will have to pay the bill on.

#462 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

And boom goes the dynamite: ESPN pulling the plug on ESPN 3D.

http://deadspin.com/...wn-by-512855045

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#463 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,570 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well in another thread, it looks like yet another 3D channel is biting the dust.  ESPN 3D out by the end of year.

Not boding well for the 3D folks.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey, Genie
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#464 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,162 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

That rumor has been floating around for over a year, I'd like to see something more official.

OK I guess this time it's for real, https://twitter.com/ESPN3D

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#465 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

http://www.theverge....-by-end-of-2013

Official confirmation.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#466 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,302 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yeah 3-D broadcasts just haven't caught on, it's one of those novelty things, it's kind of cool to watch a movie in 3-D now and then but it seems the vast majority of the people just have no real interest in watching 3-D all the time.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#467 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah 3-D broadcasts just haven't caught on, it's one of those novelty things, it's kind of cool to watch a movie in 3-D now and then but it seems the vast majority of the people just have no real interest in watching 3-D all the time.

True.....Although most if not all the high end TVs come with 3D. Whether they continue only time will tell. Personally I like the novelty for certain types of movies, everything, everyday...no.

I was hopeful Blockbuster by mail would carry them. They advertise some movies in 3D but when you get them there're not, that been my experience anyway......

Thank you and
Best of luck

#468 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

3D displays always slightly nauseated me anyway, not that it matters. This was a simple economic decision.

#469 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,936 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

True.....Although most if not all the high end TVs come with 3D. Whether they continue only time will tell. Personally I like the novelty for certain types of movies, everything, everyday...no.

I was hopeful Blockbuster by mail would carry them. They advertise some movies in 3D but when you get them there're not, that been my experience anyway......

A large number of people with a 3D TV have no interest in 3D. I know I'm one, I don't even have any glasses. 

#470 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

A large number of people with a 3D TV have no interest in 3D. I know I'm one, I don't even have any glasses. 

Well good for you and bully for them......... :icon_cool

Thank you and
Best of luck

#471 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,261 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

Until they perfect the non-glasses version of 3D, it'll be a novelty.

The first company to put out a *good* (i.e. bright, wide viewing angle, etc) 3D screen that doesn't require glasses might have a license to print money.

#472 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

3D is proving to be mostly a fad once again.  On our recent visit to the local movieplex we noticed how many of the teenage customers in line at the ticket window were opting for the 2D version of a movie that would have seemed an ideal 3D action flick.  This theater usually offers both versions at the same time and the upcharge for 3D is only a dollar.  These kids were telling the movie industry they don't like 3D all that much.

I still think someday we'll have popular 3D but it won't require glasses and it won't have the possibility of making you queezy.  I remember the first 3D movies in the 50s.  Certainly much better today but still more of a novelty than a must have.

#473 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Before E* invests heavy in 3D, there needs to be more stability in that market.  ESPN is pulling the plug on its 3D network. Looking at E*'s current channel lineup, I think their resources would be better spent on upgrading every existing channel to include an HD version of the channel.  There are still some multiplex movie channels where E* doesn't offer an HD feed. 

RE: Frankly, most of the people saying they don't like 3D are older.  My middle school son has gotten sick two times in a row watching 3D movies.  Now he won't watch them.  My high school daughter on the other hand likes the 3D movies. 

It's good to be on-time with emerging technology like 3D, but not too far ahead of the wave.  With the very limited installed base, this seems like a good niche market for a 3D version of Netflix or Hulu, except those folks are likely also waiting for more 3D to sell.

Thanks, Lee

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#474 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Mebbee if the ESPN 3D channel was in the regular lineup area adjacent to channels 206, 207, 208 etc.  ??

Just having to hunt for it is a put off.

#475 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,800 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Not much of a hunt ... The 3D channels on that provider were all together in the low 100s. Having all of the original HD channels together in a range (70-79 + 99 on DirecTV and 9420-9467 on DISH) did not seem to stop HD from growing. It made the channels easy to find for those with appropriate equipment.

I agree that channel placement is important ... not critical but important to the success of a channel. But I would not blame the failure of ESPN 3D on channel placement.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...