Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (147 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (34 votes [22.97%])

Percentage of vote: 22.97%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (16 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (93 votes [62.84%])

Percentage of vote: 62.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:02 AM

In the first link, notice how Samsung predicted 3D would result in 3 million sales, admitted 1 million.
http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118029948

http://www.sltrib.co...ording.html.csp

http://www.wired.com...endo-3ds-sales/

Now you have fallen for a trick. The first two links are old news from almost six months ago. They also have a negative slant, without justifying why they are negative. The last one is for a game toy.

Here's one for you.

Blu-ray doubles; 3D outpacing HD

Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,037 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

3D devices (Blu-ray players and HDTVs) are only showing increased sales because by and large most of the new Blu-ray players and HDTVs come with 3D.

My HDTV (not 3D by the way) also has component inputs... so I could make a claim that sales of component video connections are on the rise and keeping pace with 3D! But that would be misleading.

I'm not seeing reports of mega-sales on 3D movies as compared to other movies... I'm also not seeing reports of high demand for 3D programming. Recent 3D movies at the box office have been falling short of last year and the year before... so the recent fad seems to be waning.

IF people had a choice to buy an HDTV without 3D, but got all the other features... and saved some money... do you think 3D sets would still be on the rise?

A better way to track adoption of 3D by consumers would be to find out how sales of the 3D glasses are doing... because lots of people are getting Blu-ray and HDTV w/ 3D because it comes built-in... but many are opting not to spend the additional money on the required glasses at this time.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#23 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:43 AM

Sales of 3D TVs are up because manufacturers are making their high end TVs 3D capable. In one article after another you see the comment "the best TV for 2D is a 3D capable TV". Doesn't mean viewers are all that excited about 3D. How are sales of extra 3D glasses? With some manufacturers only giving you one pair, families should be buying 3 or 4 extra pairs if they plan to watch a lot of 3D. I haven't seen the stats on glasses sales but they would be interesting. I know my next TV will probably be 3D capable because I want the best 2D but I'm not even sure I care about getting a 3D BluRay yet.

#24 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:00 AM

I definitely hope Dish does not sink that kind of money into 3D, and stays with what most people want - high quality HD for high quality channels.

Yeah, I'd rather they don't blow money on a passing fad.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#25 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,147 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:43 AM

In order, from Dish, I want:

WGBH (Boston) and WENH (Durham NH) in HD [PBS].
NESN in HD 24/7. NESN Plus as warranted.
NECN (New England Cable News)
MLB Channel
MLB Extra Innings availability

THEN we can talk about 3D.

...but that's *my* list.

#26 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,565 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:30 AM

A better way to track adoption of 3D by consumers would be to find out how sales of the 3D glasses are doing... because lots of people are getting Blu-ray and HDTV w/ 3D because it comes built-in... but many are opting not to spend the additional money on the required glasses at this time.

That would not be a better way because glasses are almost always given for free in a "starter pack" with a voucher for a free exclusive 3D BR disc (Avatar, Megamind, etc) when you purchase a 3D set and sometimes with a 3D players.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#27 OFFLINE   ruralruss

ruralruss

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:40 AM

I for one do not want 3D tv. It does not look real, it looks like a bunch of layers with flat images on them. I don't use the setting on my LCD that make film look like video either. I also hate it when programming is not shown in it's native aspect ratio. I also like the grain in film.

#28 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:01 AM

I have no interest in 3D tv, but my next TV (when the current on fails) will probably be 3D capable if gives the best 2D picture - unless the fad has died by then.

#29 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:16 AM

Every 25 years or so, some one makes a push to make 3D a cutting edge technology and really the concept has not changed since the 1950’s and until that happens it will not be accepted by the masses.

Currently there is only limited content and that content is unimpressive, at least in my opinion. Basically it is only creating more attention deficit disordered adolescents, along with 5 second scenes between cuts and CGI masturbation fests that pass as passable story telling.

There are many more important things Dish needs to be working on.

#30 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

at least for we youth challenged on what we did for a living.

That's a FACT!
Red

#31 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:20 AM

Why do you assume I fell for some trick? I also said that the TV manufacturers are predicted to ship 23 million 3D televisions this year. That's not two or ten or a hundred or a thousand.

It's a feature built into TVs that will very likely be unused on the vast majority of those sets though. It's like trying to say that COMPOSITE VIDEO is going to be very popular next year because TV manufacturers are predicted to ship 40 million televisions with composite video inputs. :grin:

In other words, using the numbers of 3D-capable TVs being shipped to try to justify something related to providing 3D content is quite a stretch. They aren't necessarily that related.

- John...

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Plus if someone chooses to purchase a top-of-the-line set today, it will likely have 3D.

3D capability and a full set of 3D spectacles are two different things.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:31 AM

3D capability and a full set of 3D spectacles are two different things.

I think that was klang's point -- that all these TVs have 3D built in, but it doesn't mean that they are using the technology, of course.

If people want to try to "predict" the importance and growth and interest of 3D for the next year, they shouldn't be looking at the number of 3D TVs sold, they should be looking at the number of PURCHASED (not bundled with the TV) 3D glasses. That would be a better indicator, of course. Not perfect, but certainly more pertinent than just the number of 3D capable HDTVs sold, of course.

- John...

#34 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

According to an In-Stat report released yesterday, sales of 3D televisions are up 500% from last year. They also predict that soon all TVs over 40" will have 3D built-in. The prices of 1080p 3D projectors are also coming down. In-Stat predicts that by 2015 300 million households worldwide will have a 3D TV.

Also this month, another research firm, iSuppli, confirms In-Stat's numbers, and predicts 3D TV shipments up 463 percent in 2011, with a total of 23.4 million units shipped. They see 3D TV shipments increasing by 132 percent in 2012, with 54.2 million units shipped. By 2015, iSuppli predicts that over half of all TVs shipped will be 3D.

Don't confuse predictions with functional units delivered.

Best Buy bet the farm on 3D in 2010 and it virtually didn't happen. 3D capable TVs represented only 2% of the sales. A 500% increase represents only 10% of the TV market.

There's still the overarching issue of a paucity of must-have content that plagues 3D. Even after ESPN3D went full-time, DIRECTV's incarnation of the channel is still part-time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#35 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Will 3D even be around 5 years from now? Or will it have disappeared again like it has in the past?

#36 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

I think that was klang's point -- that all these TVs have 3D built in, but it doesn't mean that they are using the technology, of course.

Yep, exactly right. I'm sure the next 55" class TV I buy will be 3D capable although I have no interest in the feature.

#37 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'm still waiting for full holographic projection where the program plays out IN your room instead of on a screen. Add smell-o-vision and sensory touch and it'll be the next best thing to a Holodeck.

#38 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:44 PM

I'm still waiting for full holographic projection where the program plays out IN your room instead of on a screen. Add smell-o-vision and sensory touch and it'll be the next best thing to a Holodeck.

I believe that smell-o-vision was already tried in some jungle movie. Until that elephant passed gas... :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#39 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

Every 25 years or so, some one makes a push to make 3D a cutting edge technology and really the concept has not changed since the 1950’s and until that happens it will not be accepted by the masses.

It seems to me the same was said about multi-channel audio. We had Quad in the 70's. The experts and non-experts alike said multi-channel audio was a waste, and it didn't add anything. They said there was no use for it. "Nice try. No one's interested." It was declared dead forever.

Fast forward to 2011. Multi-channel audio is almost ubiquitous. It has a different name now. Oh, and it has even more audio channels than before.

Michael

#40 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,421 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

One difference ---- multi-channel audio actually works.

spam firewall