Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (154 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (37 votes [23.87%])

Percentage of vote: 23.87%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.61%])

Percentage of vote: 11.61%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (95 votes [61.29%])

Percentage of vote: 61.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#461 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

I have a ViewMaster. Don't even think we can get content for it anymore? All of this new fangled technology needs serious refinement before it's pushed in our faces. Even Peter Jackson's Hobbit at 48fps is said to be giving previewers in NZ migraines. A pig with lipstick is still a pig with lipstick. Unless it's in 4K 3D 48fps, then it's a very crisp, clear pig with lipstick in your face at a frame rate that will fry your brain. I'm seeing profits before practicality and that's what's driving most of this. Other than consumer novelty fadism. To get us to abandon what we just bought for something new and "innovative" even though that innovation is not complete and we pay to be Guinea Pigs/beta testers for these products. And what most people don't realize in their call for networks and whatnot to jump on the fad bandwagon, is the cost of and the infrastructure to implement this unrefined technology. They just want what they saw at Walmart. There are many areas that DISH needs to get working/fixed way before worrying about 3D. Innovation is great, just make sure it doesn't turn my brain to anymore mush than it already is and my pocket book any emptier for untried and true products or services or any undue encumbrances on my service providers for services that will not fully work and I will have to pay the bill on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

And boom goes the dynamite: ESPN pulling the plug on ESPN 3D.

http://deadspin.com/...wn-by-512855045

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#463 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Well in another thread, it looks like yet another 3D channel is biting the dust.  ESPN 3D out by the end of year.

Not boding well for the 3D folks.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#464 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

That rumor has been floating around for over a year, I'd like to see something more official.

OK I guess this time it's for real, https://twitter.com/ESPN3D

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#465 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

http://www.theverge....-by-end-of-2013

Official confirmation.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#466 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,218 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

Yeah 3-D broadcasts just haven't caught on, it's one of those novelty things, it's kind of cool to watch a movie in 3-D now and then but it seems the vast majority of the people just have no real interest in watching 3-D all the time.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#467 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

Yeah 3-D broadcasts just haven't caught on, it's one of those novelty things, it's kind of cool to watch a movie in 3-D now and then but it seems the vast majority of the people just have no real interest in watching 3-D all the time.

True.....Although most if not all the high end TVs come with 3D. Whether they continue only time will tell. Personally I like the novelty for certain types of movies, everything, everyday...no.

I was hopeful Blockbuster by mail would carry them. They advertise some movies in 3D but when you get them there're not, that been my experience anyway......

Thank you and
Best of luck

#468 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

3D displays always slightly nauseated me anyway, not that it matters. This was a simple economic decision.

#469 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

True.....Although most if not all the high end TVs come with 3D. Whether they continue only time will tell. Personally I like the novelty for certain types of movies, everything, everyday...no.

I was hopeful Blockbuster by mail would carry them. They advertise some movies in 3D but when you get them there're not, that been my experience anyway......

A large number of people with a 3D TV have no interest in 3D. I know I'm one, I don't even have any glasses. 

#470 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

A large number of people with a 3D TV have no interest in 3D. I know I'm one, I don't even have any glasses. 

Well good for you and bully for them......... :icon_cool

Thank you and
Best of luck

#471 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

Until they perfect the non-glasses version of 3D, it'll be a novelty.

The first company to put out a *good* (i.e. bright, wide viewing angle, etc) 3D screen that doesn't require glasses might have a license to print money.

#472 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:22 AM

3D is proving to be mostly a fad once again.  On our recent visit to the local movieplex we noticed how many of the teenage customers in line at the ticket window were opting for the 2D version of a movie that would have seemed an ideal 3D action flick.  This theater usually offers both versions at the same time and the upcharge for 3D is only a dollar.  These kids were telling the movie industry they don't like 3D all that much.

I still think someday we'll have popular 3D but it won't require glasses and it won't have the possibility of making you queezy.  I remember the first 3D movies in the 50s.  Certainly much better today but still more of a novelty than a must have.

#473 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

Before E* invests heavy in 3D, there needs to be more stability in that market.  ESPN is pulling the plug on its 3D network. Looking at E*'s current channel lineup, I think their resources would be better spent on upgrading every existing channel to include an HD version of the channel.  There are still some multiplex movie channels where E* doesn't offer an HD feed. 

RE: Frankly, most of the people saying they don't like 3D are older.  My middle school son has gotten sick two times in a row watching 3D movies.  Now he won't watch them.  My high school daughter on the other hand likes the 3D movies. 

It's good to be on-time with emerging technology like 3D, but not too far ahead of the wave.  With the very limited installed base, this seems like a good niche market for a 3D version of Netflix or Hulu, except those folks are likely also waiting for more 3D to sell.

Thanks, Lee

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#474 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

Mebbee if the ESPN 3D channel was in the regular lineup area adjacent to channels 206, 207, 208 etc.  ??

Just having to hunt for it is a put off.

#475 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Not much of a hunt ... The 3D channels on that provider were all together in the low 100s. Having all of the original HD channels together in a range (70-79 + 99 on DirecTV and 9420-9467 on DISH) did not seem to stop HD from growing. It made the channels easy to find for those with appropriate equipment.

I agree that channel placement is important ... not critical but important to the success of a channel. But I would not blame the failure of ESPN 3D on channel placement.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#476 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

The only blame here is that every 20-25 years some genius trots out 60 year old technology and tries to sell it as the latest cutting edge. The powers to be make a few bucks on it before interests dies and it's put in the back of the closet again.

#477 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

The technology is good ... I do not expect ESPN's decision to back away from 3D to kill 3D movies. The technology just need to improved for the average home viewer and content needs to be developed that is so much better than the alternative that more people consider 3D the better choice.

3D isn't dead. HD is just good enough that 3D isn't required to be the next improvement.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#478 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,978 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

Blame? 

And, yes, 3D has been around for over 100 years, but today's advancements are a far cry from stereoscopes of the 19thC. 

Powers that be? There're all sorts of players in the 3D arena. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#479 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

I guess the manufactures and the studios  are just throwing good money after bad......when I bought a 3D Samsung in 09 I read here that 3D was a passing fancy and in a year or two it would be gone or at least a niche market. Since then the Passive format seems to be replacing the Active, the glasses are more user friendly, much cheaper, interchangeable in some cases with other brands....It appears R&D is going into this 60/100 year old technology to make it better and more affordable.

Last I looked 3D is an feature in most any TV over 1000 bucks, like it or not it seems to me 3D is not going away anytime soon. 

Personally I was surprised ESPN featured 3D...why?.... the Syfy Channel.....? now that's a whole different situation. To each their own.......Happy Fathers Day Dads.......

Thank you and
Best of luck

#480 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

3D is dying just like it always has.  The reason they are selling 3D in any real numbers at all is that the better sets come with it.  Little to do with consumer acceptance or use of 3D.

With ESPN3D going away, there's what, 1 channel left and it is mostly demonstration type stuff, hardly compelling.  The local video store carries so few 3D titles it isn't worth going there to rent one and of course that is exacerbated by the fact that way too many 3D movies are not very good at all.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...