Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (154 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (37 votes [23.87%])

Percentage of vote: 23.87%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.61%])

Percentage of vote: 11.61%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (95 votes [61.29%])

Percentage of vote: 61.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#521 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

This humorous video from Bloomberg sums up the death of 3D TV nicely.

http://www.bloomberg...pCpZk6tVTA.html

Another Fox Business News wannabe......I like his glasses though, and I think I'll get one of the those 4K TVs, just because I can......calm down...just kidding.  :eek2: check that, I think I'll get a 3D printer this summer.......not kidding.

Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#522 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Fascinating how much energy is put into a negative.........3D movie schedule making is beefy for 13 and 14.....somebody obviously is watching. Then again the execs at Fox, Sony, Universal and DREAMWORKS could be idiots........right......

Yes enough people are watching at movie theaters to make it worth the movie makers money. But at home it seems there's not enough demand for broadcast 3-D for even one of the most popular channels, ESPN, to keep their channel up and running. If more people wanted 3-D at home they'd be offerring more and more 3-D channels, like what happened with HD. It wasn't too many years ago that we were always waiting to see what HD channel would be available next. That hasn't happened with 3-D channels, the day when broadcasters are shown there's enough money in it to make it worth their while it'll happen, but not before and it seems now isn't that time.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#523 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Yes enough people are watching at movie theaters to make it worth the movie makers money. But at home it seems there's not enough demand for broadcast 3-D for even one of the most popular channels, ESPN, to keep their channel up and running. If more people wanted 3-D at home they'd be offerring more and more 3-D channels, like what happened with HD. It wasn't too many years ago that we were always waiting to see what HD channel would be available next. That hasn't happened with 3-D channels, the day when broadcasters are shown there's enough money in it to make it worth their while it'll happen, but not before and it seems now isn't that time.

Actually when offered in both 3D and 2D several big name films have had higher 2D sales.  This was what I mentioned some time ago from personal observation in the tickeet line.  Even young customers were opting for 2D when they could have had 3D for only $1 more.  That tells me even in theaters the novelty of 3D isn't selling anymore.  

#524 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Actually when offered in both 3D and 2D several big name films have had higher 2D sales.  This was what I mentioned some time ago from personal observation in the tickeet line.  Even young customers were opting for 2D when they could have had 3D for only $1 more.  That tells me even in theaters the novelty of 3D isn't selling anymore.  

Ha....! not where I live.....but perhaps our kids in PoDunk are technically challenged.....or can afford the extra dollar.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#525 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ha....! not where I live.....but perhaps our kids in PoDunk are technically challenged.....or can afford the extra dollar.

It might now be happening where you live, but it is happening...

http://www.filmjunk....-ticket-prices/

#526 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

There's a difference between watching at a theater - an event where you're leaving the house - and watching at home where you're making FAR less of a "commitment".

Hmmm ... a couple bucks more for the price of the movie ticket to see it in 3D (if one is in to seeing movies in a theater) vs paying more for a 3D TV and glasses for everyone or a more expensive glasses free 3D TV. To me it seems that there is more commitment in setting up your home to be able to watch anything in 3D than there is to make a movie by movie choice to buy a ticket for a 3D showing.

Is 3D bringing people to the theaters who would normally wait for the PPV / rental? or are they just skimming some of the theatrical audience who would still see the movie in 2D?

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#527 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Regardless of which side you are on...  I think what we see time and again is...  the things that people want tend to stick around.  It's fine to say things like "beta was the best, but VHS won somehow"... and while beta might have been technically the best, it didn't matter... because VHS was marketed better and got more people to buy-in.

HD took a little bit to get going, but once it did...  here we are today with most channels in HD and very few channels left in the wish pile.

3D, on the other hand...  has come and gone a couple of times... each time it comes back with better home-technology... but so far it has not taken hold.

IF there truly were lots of fans out there wanting and demanding 3D... we would be seeing more content, not less... and more channels, not less.

This thread now has a misleading title... because it presumes that Dish is falling behind in 3D... when the reality appears to be that other providers are scaling back 3D content...

• tampa8 and Rduce like this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#528 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

It's fine to say things like "beta was the best, but VHS won somehow"... and while beta might have been technically the best, it didn't matter... because VHS was marketed better and got more people to buy-in.

The market came to a point where "there can only be one". And the winner was the one supported by more manufacturers.

We had a "there can only be one" point with BluRay as well.

I'm glad we don't have an "there can only be one" point with Apple vs Android vs Windows on phones (although a winner is emerging). :)

IF there truly were lots of fans out there wanting and demanding 3D... we would be seeing more content, not less... and more channels, not less.

It is a chicken and egg situation. But as I see the crests of interest in 3D wax and wane the current one is cresting at the top of the seawall. The next wave will likely be the one that makes it over the top and floods the market with a good technology that works.

There is a demand for 3D ... it remains unsatisfied despite decades (lets call it "over a century") of improved technology. People have accepted that we will have 3D in the future. We're just not there yet.

This thread now has a misleading title... because it presumes that Dish is falling behind in 3D... when the reality appears to be that other providers are scaling back 3D content...

The title is ironic ... and the premise has been disputed since the thread started. DISH decided to wait for better technology and while they were waiting the wave receded. DISH still supports 3D on their top of the line receivers ... they are not out of the game. But there is less content to carry.

There are still more important areas where DISH needs to "catch up". The wane in 3D takes the pressure off for linear channels. They can still do VOD and on demand.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#529 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

Remember when MNF was on abc in hd for a couple years, then it was gone for another three or four before it came back..  This may or may not be the same thing with 3d (I think its going to be loved on a few particular films going forward, but its not the end all be all for all films.  See avatar 2 and 3 in the next few years) , but I still think 4k will be much bigger than 3d in the long run to be honest.

#530 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:06 AM

What I meant by "commitment" was the incremental commitment of the specific event.  Going to the movies?  3D is an extra buck or two and they hand you the glasses on the way in.  You're already committed to making the journey (car, walk, subway, bus, etc) and spending money.  After the initial purchase of 3D equipment, there's more "to do" for 3D at home.  Making sure you haven't lost the glasses - that they're recharged, if it's active shutter, that you have enough for everyone.  I honestly wonder if the idea of "I need 30 pairs of glasses if I'm going to have a 3D Super Bowl party?" has soured some on the idea.

Make it glasses-free with a wide viewing angle and I think the last of the barriers will fall.  Why?  Because we already have lots of source material.  Lots of 3D Blu-Ray players and lots of 3D Blu-Ray discs.  I know that, when I'm buying movies from Amazon, I pay the extra $5 for the version that includes a 3D disc for when and if I eventually have 3D.  That's one reason I did NOT buy "Oz", even though I liked it.  They didn't have a Blu-Ray/3D combo pack.

#531 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

Remember when MNF was on abc in hd for a couple years, then it was gone for another three or four before it came back..  This may or may not be the same thing with 3d (I think its going to be loved on a few particular films going forward, but its not the end all be all for all films.  See avatar 2 and 3 in the next few years) , but I still think 4k will be much bigger than 3d in the long run to be honest.

4K..? there is no content and several news outlet media critics say you can't tell the difference. No it will be years before 4K is mainstream, similar to what happened in HD tech in the late 90's......very pricy, pretty pictures but no programing or carriers of programing. Hell.... I know a retired IRS agent who thinks HD is a scam, he says he sees no difference......he sounds kind of like a 3D doubter......How would you like him checking your tax return?

3D RULES.......!  :rolling:

Thank you and
Best of luck

#532 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

I do not think 4k will ever be anything beyond a niche product in the home.

What size screen do you need to be using to see the difference between 1080i (p) and 4k?

My belief is that most TV sets being sold are of  size where 4k would minmal at best results.

If I had the Money to build a 20 seat home thearter than I would want 4k content and displays, I and most TV watchers can not afford or desire that.

I have two 32" HDTV sets, a 24" HDTV and a 27" SDTV (Sony) in use. The SDTV gets as much if not more viewing as the HDTVs.

TB.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#533 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:09 AM

I could tell the difference on most 4K sets from ten feet away vs. standared HD sets. Must have seen 30 of them, this at CES early this year. 

But I certainly agree the uptake will be real slow. 

The first media to really pop will be BRDs. 

And never say never!!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#534 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Laxguy, Just curious what size sets?

Thanks

TB

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#535 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:53 AM

I saw 4K on display at the Sony store in Vegas. The resolution difference was quite apparent to me on the 55" set. There was a 1080p set right next to it.

#536 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,785 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Remember when MNF was on abc in hd for a couple years, then it was gone for another three or four before it came back..

Wait... when did that happen?  I don't remember that happening at all.

I had an HDTV before many (except WRAL, the nation's first) of my locals were broadcasting in HD... but I don't remember MNF being in HD for a couple of years and then not being in HD for a few...  that doesn't even make sense... after they invested in HD cameras and ran for several years, why would they have stopped and then started again?

I don't remember that at all...  Of course MNF moved from ABC to ESPN years ago... but it stayed in HD the whole time.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#537 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,939 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:44 PM

TB-

It was a real variety. Most were ca. 55-65". Some down to maybe 42" and a few were Mega sets over 100"

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#538 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I don't think there is the demand for 3d like there was with HD.  There was a point where folks were waiting in line for hours to get a good deal at an after Thanksgiving sale on an HDtv even though their current tv was still working fine. 

What we may see is that as consumers buy a replacement TV for the one that just died, they may opt for one with 3d capability, but we're just not seeing folks stand in line to get a 3d tv. 

Thanks all.  Lee

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#539 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

We had family over the 4th and with the oppressive afternoon hot weather we cranked up the 3D Blu-ray, turned on the Samsung 3D TV and showed some 3D movies. The kids loved it, the adults loved it and a wonderful time in air conditioning was had by all..........Several had never seen 3D TV home style and spoke of getting one of their own.

To each their own............

Thank you and
Best of luck

#540 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I just read that after Wimbeldon, the BBC is dropping any further coverage in 3D, so, it appears the fad is fading across the pond, also.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...