Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (152 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (36 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (94 votes [61.44%])

Percentage of vote: 61.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#561 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Remember Quadraphonic records?

No, not really, but a few episodes of "Behind the Music:  Remastered" have mentioned The Who's Quadrophenia as inspiration for other groups of that day.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

No, not really, but a few episodes of "Behind the Music:  Remastered" have mentioned The Who's Quadrophenia as inspiration for other groups of that day.

While Quadrophenia was intended to be released as a Quadraphonic title, it was remixed in conventional stereo as it didn't work out.

Quadraphonic was another technology that came on sounding very exciting but turned out to be more or less a flash in the pan. The equipment (essentially a four-channel turntable or tape player) was pretty pricey. Also like 3DTV (glasses technologies), there were multiple incompatible configurations.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#563 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Right. If stereo is twice as good as mono, quad would be even better, four times better than mono. Hah! Some how this topic reminds me of Scopitone. (sp.?) maybe I have the wrong word, but in the 60's, at least in Manhattan, there was a proliferation of juke boxes with videos. Way before MTV. Pretty short lived, though. 

Anyone else? Name right? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#564 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Right. If stereo is twice as good as mono, quad would be even better, four times better than mono. Hah! Some how this topic reminds me of Scopitone. (sp.?) maybe I have the wrong word, but in the 60's, at least in Manhattan, there was a proliferation of juke boxes with videos. Way before MTV. Pretty short lived, though. 

Anyone else? Name right? 

Yeah, I remember those. Video monitor was on top of the jukebox. Didn't have much of a video selection and like you said, it was short lived.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#565 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

It's kind of funny i recently came across a Popular Science magazine from June 1953 and there's an article in there about somebody working building the "first 3-D television". And 60 years later they're still working on it.

• Rduce likes this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#566 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,186 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Good find! I bet it took a number of centuries to perfect the first wheel, though! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#567 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

I remember quad sound in the 60's on K101 FM in San Francisco.. Didn't last long though.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#568 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:39 AM

And yet the modern versions of quadrophonic are a common part of our standard television today. Would you rather watch a movie in stereo or in 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?

Technology improves. Perhaps some day 3D will be as common as 5.1 or better audio.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#569 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,649 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

In the fifties 3D versions of Hondo, House of Wax, Dial M For Murder, and Kiss Me Kate were released by Hollywood to lure customers back to the theaters and away from their new TV sets. The fad didn't last very long. Same can be said for todays version of 3D. What I do think will be the next big thing is Holographic TV but it's still years before it will be available. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#570 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

Technology improves. Perhaps some day 3D will be as common as 5.1 or better audio.

Perhaps it will, but there will need to be a complete redesign around the production of TV and movies to incorporate 3D. To be effective, 3D needs to be shot considerably closer to the subject matter. This is why 3D sports (especially soccer) is so difficult to pull off.

Multichannel sound is much less of a leap from stereo than 3D video is from 2D and in many cases is at least partially synthesized given what we know about echoes and their phasing. There is 3D video that is synthesized from 2D but it depends on things that aren't always available in the 2D image (relative motion between objects).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#571 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,730 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

The point was that for those who were saying "quadrophonic sound didn't last, 3D won't either" that over time the invention improved to the point where the benefit of quadrophonic sound (the surround sound experience) is a standard offering.

There is room for improvement in 3D where it too can become a standard offering. Some day.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#572 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Isn't quadraphonic sound today's surround sound, sort of?

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#573 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:17 AM

http://www.flatpanel...letter_sub1_jpg

Thank you and
Best of luck

#574 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

Well we had our first in home 3d experience this weekend by renting pacific rim 3d and we gave it thumbs up!

Don't know why we waited so long to do so...

Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#575 OFFLINE   Hunter Green

Hunter Green

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

I just installed my new 3DTV last night, though I'm still doing some of the cabling.

While 3D has gotten off to a slow start, I don't think this is another "fading fad" for one simple reason.  With the current HDTVs, 3D is an easy feature for the manufacturers to add.  They've already developed the technology, and it doesn't require any significant change in the construction of the display, just an extra few chips and circuits.  3D isn't going to be the reason to buy a TV; it'll be one of many extra features that the TV comes with, of which you will probably only use some.

Right now, they're only putting 3D into higher-end TVs, but they're not charging significantly more for them than TVs of similar size and features.  They're using 3D as an extra perk, to try to distinguish their model from others on the market.  But they're not doing that in lower-end TVs yet, even though it would cost them next to nothing to do it, because that would cannibalize sales of their higher-end units.  But inevitably they will keep lowering the threshold of which model they put 3D into, because they'll have already sold as many of each higher tier as they're likely to sell based on using 3D as a gimmick.  Eventually, pretty much every TV out there will have 3D routinely, the way they all have HD, they all have USB ports, and they'll eventually all have Internet and apps; it's just a way to make it look better, but at next to no cost to the manufacturer.  The same is happening on Blu-Ray players already.

That'll resolve the chicken-and-egg problem.  Lots of people who don't particularly feel like 3D is a premium feature will end up getting a TV that has it anyway, just because the TV that they like happens to have it.  Some of those will think "ick, I hate the glasses" and never do anything with the 3D, but more and more, people will start to say "hmm, I didn't buy this for 3D, but I wonder what 3D I can do."  They'll rent or stream a 3D movie, or play a 3D game, just to try it.  And the demand for 3D content will rise.

But I can sure see why the broadcasters aren't rushing to produce content right now.  They aren't committed enough to make it without an audience just to try to foster an audience.  But as an audience appears, they'll follow.

#576 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:34 AM

Normally we don't even like 3D in theaters.  And home 3D has generally been worse.  That said, we saw "Gravity" in 3D in the theater and it was like nothing we've seen before.  Whatever the producers of the film did that upgraded the 3D quality should be copied by anyone who makes a movie in 3D.  And when I can get that quality at home I might consider 3D TV.

BTW, a couple 3D trailers before the feature were so awful I'd be afraid to see those films in 3D for fear I'd be nauseous half way through the film.  With "Gravity" we just enjoyed the film and the 3D without being overwhelmed by it.  

#577 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

While 3D has gotten off to a slow start, I don't think this is another "fading fad" for one simple reason.

While your argument may have seemed reasonable when this thread started, it is clearly argued against by history now. 3D content hasn't become any easier to find and in the case of broadcast 3D, it has become a whole lot harder to find.

It was commented in the OP that DIRECTV had four 3D channels and now they have two (and one is a PPV channel).

A lack of compelling content isn't lost on shoppers. There's really no more content coming out now than there was back then.

Glasses remain the order of the day and the economies of scale in manufacturing have not abated the cost as was theorized.

What your arguing is akin to saying that you can go off-roading in a sedan but you have to acknowledge that most probably aren't going to do it as the reward isn't worth the wash job.

#578 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

My glasses were about 20 each...correction- $18.25

Edited by 722921, 08 November 2013 - 03:53 PM.

Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#579 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Just bought my 3-D TV.  Love it.  Didn't think I would ever buy a 3D TV.  Bought a Samsung Smart TV. My 4 year old granddaughter loves the 3D.

#580 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,688 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

My glasses were about 20 each...correction- $18.25

Is it safe to assume that you're TV features passive 3D technology?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...