Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (151 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (36 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.29%])

Percentage of vote: 3.29%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (17 votes [11.18%])

Percentage of vote: 11.18%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (94 votes [61.84%])

Percentage of vote: 61.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:31 PM

One difference ---- multi-channel audio actually works.

3D doesn't work? :confused:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

I suppose when the day comes that there's channels providing new content in 3-D on a regular basis and there's actually enough consumer demand for Dish to make some $$$ on them then yes they need to jump aboard the 3-D bandwagon. Until that day though.....not so much.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#43 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

3D doesn't work? :confused:

It does, but really no better than in the past.

The problem with 3D is that much of our source material really doesn't benefit from 3D.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#44 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:30 PM

The problem with 3D is that much of our source material really doesn't benefit from 3D.

But the material that does really does benefit. Nobody says that all programming needs to be in 3D.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#45 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:32 PM

It's a whole lot better than those blue & red glasses; colors and effects were atrocious. Just like HD...There's good 3D and bad 3D.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:26 PM

That would not be a better way because glasses are almost always given for free in a "starter pack" with a voucher for a free exclusive 3D BR disc (Avatar, Megamind, etc) when you purchase a 3D set and sometimes with a 3D players.

I was not aware that some manufacturers are giving away 3D glasses.

Still... I did say track "purchases" of 3D glasses.

You can't track HDTV or Blu-ray device purchases... and you can't track freebies.

You could only track purchased 3D glasses... or perhaps movies... but then some of the movies are given away too as promos with TVs.

Bottom line... there hasn't as yet been any reliable data that shows the public is clamoring to purchase 3D in large numbers.... only data that shows people will accept 3D with whatever other purchase they were making anyway.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#47 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

I was not aware that some manufacturers are giving away 3D glasses.

Still... I did say track "purchases" of 3D glasses.

You can't track HDTV or Blu-ray device purchases... and you can't track freebies.

You could only track purchased 3D glasses... or perhaps movies... but then some of the movies are given away too as promos with TVs.

Bottom line... there hasn't as yet been any reliable data that shows the public is clamoring to purchase 3D in large numbers.... only data that shows people will accept 3D with whatever other purchase they were making anyway.

Vizio and LG have put a wrench into the works of tracking 3D glasses sales as a barometer of interest in 3D with their just released passive 3D TVs. With the passive 3D TVs you can just use the glasses you got for free at the movie theater.

Michael

#48 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

When is dish gonna make the 722k able to play 3d PPV.

#49 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:34 AM

When is dish gonna make the 722k able to play 3d PPV.

I don't have a 722K... but I would have thought it would be the easiest one to implement after the 922, since they share a lot of the same hardware inside... I can't think of an obvious reason why the 722K couldn't do it... especially if they are working towards the regular 722 at some point.

#50 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:35 PM

Good observations!

My criteria for moving to 3-D:

A - ONE (1) world-wide standard for 3D
B - NO glasses
C - Significantly more programming; just how many times can a human be expected to watch Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs?

I can answer item C, 0 (Zero) times.

As for must see content in 3D? Right now as I see it there is Zero content in 3D I have any interest in seeing. I haven't seen any new movie being advertised that made me think, I gotta go see that. Most of the movie being advertised make me think why did they waste all that time & money?

Being in 3D doesn't turn Garbage into Gold.

What am I looking forward to seeing? Warehouse 13, The Closer, Rizolli & Isles, Psych....
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#51 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

3D TV is a fad IMHO.

#52 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

Will 3D even be around 5 years from now? Or will it have disappeared again like it has in the past?

It probably go into hyber nation again.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#53 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,383 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

It probably go into hyber nation again.

I'm not sure hibernation is the term I'd use. More like hoping against hope that absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#54 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

8-Track, Laser Disc, Quadraphonic Sound, 3DTV.

#55 OFFLINE   grooves12

grooves12

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 04:56 PM

Personally, I could care less for 3DTV... I have zero desire to ever have it in my home. It makes me dizzy, you have to wear stupid glasses, you have to be in the perfect spot in front of the TV, your head has to be at the perfect angle, and it's expensive. That is too much work to watch TV.

I've been shopping for a TV, and I can tell you why the numbers of 3D sets sold are way up... that is because most manufacturers aren't making non 3D TV's anymore. They are forcing it on us. If I had an option, I would pick the equivalent 2D TV every time. Unfortunately, the only 2D TVs available are older generation panels, so if you want other advancements (blacker blacks, higher resolution during motion, contrast, etc.) you are forced to go 3D.

#56 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:10 PM

Personally, I could care less for 3DTV...

Don't you mean that you 'couldn't care less...' about 3D?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#57 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,636 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:52 PM

That is, of course, the origin of the current phrasing. However, both work for me: "I could care less, (but to do so would be more trouble than I wish to expend, so I will care just the amount I do now, thank you very much!", the latter being the unstated portion of the plaint.)
YMMV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#58 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:53 PM

That one always bothers me too... but I gave up banging my head against the wall since almost no one says it the right way anymore :(

#59 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:49 AM

Personally, I could care less for 3DTV... I have zero desire to ever have it in my home. It makes me dizzy, you have to wear stupid glasses, you have to be in the perfect spot in front of the TV, your head has to be at the perfect angle, and it's expensive. That is too much work to watch TV.

I've been shopping for a TV, and I can tell you why the numbers of 3D sets sold are way up... that is because most manufacturers aren't making non 3D TV's anymore. They are forcing it on us. If I had an option, I would pick the equivalent 2D TV every time. Unfortunately, the only 2D TVs available are older generation panels, so if you want other advancements (blacker blacks, higher resolution during motion, contrast, etc.) you are forced to go 3D.

My new Vizio 55" M550SV is not 3D,but it is 240Hz.:)

What fascinates me about 3D is the warnings the manufacturers are coming out with concerning 3D? looks like someone trying to cover all the bases against ligitation?.:rolleyes:

http://www.cbsnews.c...438-503983.html

Edited by Jhon69, 03 June 2011 - 10:56 AM.

#60 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

I have one bad eye so when I buy a new TV down the road I'll have pay more for a feature I can't use.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

spam firewall