Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (152 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (36 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (94 votes [61.44%])

Percentage of vote: 61.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#581 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

I have always contended that there are two stumbling blocks for the future of 3D in the home.  The first one is the stupidity of the TV manufactures not providing one 3D viewing technology.  Passive vs. Active is a choice the buyer should not even be forced to think about.  If you are promoting 3D then don't muddle the waters for the poor customer with confusing Passive vs Active technology choices. Keep in mind that the sales persons are now forced, if your lucky, to pass on the correct information and not cloud the issue with their own personal likes. The second stumbling block is by far the biggest. The major players in the Movie Industry and television studio industry ie Sony, Universal, MGM, Pixar, Lions Gate, Panasonic, NBC, ABC/Disney/ CBS, CBS, have decided to take a back seat in the promotion of 3D in the home.  If these big boys decided to spend the money to promote and develope and deliver a quality 3D product to the home TV audience you can bet the success would be overwhelming.  Why don't they do it?  Because success is not quaranteed beyond a shadow of doubt. They like the profits they now enjoy and don't have the #@#@'s to bet on the future.  Think about the ability to watch all of your week night shows like Bones, Castle, NCIS, The Voice etc in Avatar 3D quality.  Throw in all sporting events in the same quality. Consider this 3D option as a no cost or very low cost option.  Consider that there are already millions of 3D TV's in this country.  Consider the shopperes in the market for a new TV in the next 12 months.  3D in the home may undeed be doomed, but not because of the venue itself but because of a lack of visionary imagination within the ranks of those that could make it a household technology.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:40 PM

There have been many predictions over the years.....about the demise of 3D. In 2009 I bought a Samsung 3D capable TV. Almost immediately I was caught up in the reducible game, let's see... 4 years and counting.

3D is still in the theaters, DVD's are still offered in 3D... and Dish is still offering 3D on VOD minimally, but the sky is failing, 3D is a passing fancy and the end is near......Passive, Active, whatever......

When I bought my TV, glasses were NOT included, you could buy two pair in a add on box, very pricey. Now most manufactures offer 4 pair included with the TV.

Looks to me 3D is moving on with or without the naysayers and doubters. I was in a Best Buy the other day and the young folks working there claim to like 3D and all the top sellers on the shelves had 3D. Screens are getting bigger, better and manufacturers rightly or wrongly are actively promoting the 3D feature.......3D ain't go'in away......bon appetite.

Edited by 356B, 10 November 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#583 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think what you saw in Best Buy is a perfect example of the 'If you build it they will come" scenario.  But you better not build crap or they will leave and NEVER come back.  If they want to make the effort they can hook us but a weak effort will make them irrelevent to us forever.

#584 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I think what you saw in Best Buy is a perfect example of the 'If you build it they will come" scenario.  But you better not build crap or they will leave and NEVER come back.  If they want to make the effort they can hook us but a weak effort will make them irrelevent to us forever.

You have more faith in human nature then I do. I'm not nearly as sure the younger generations know what good stuff really is. They/we have evolved over the last few decades into a disposable society. High standards are debatable and quality is in they eye of the beholder. I hope you're analysis is correct though.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#585 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,509 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

I wonder where the division is between new television buyers. How many walk in to the store thinking "my new TV *MUST* have 3D" vs those who are future proofing and saying "it might as well be 3D". If one buys a new HD TV and it isn't 3D that pretty much takes that buyer out of the 3D world until their next purchase.

If I were shopping for a new HD TV I'd probably be an "it might as well be 3D" purchaser ... just in case I wanted 3D sometime in the next decade. (My current primary TV is eight years old. I bought a small TV for the kitchen at about the same time and the rest of my sets are 10-30 years old.)

Are many people upgrading early or going shopping specifically for a 3D TV or are shoppers just future proofing?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#586 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Well, this shopper needed a new TV for his BR, and got a Smart Sammy. I believe it has 3D, but really don't care. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#587 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Well, this shopper needed a new TV for his BR, and got a Smart Sammy. I believe it has 3D, but really don't care. 

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you bought a "Smart TV. I believe that every Smart TV on the market  is also a 3D TV. If not all then certainly most.  I looked at a Panasonic yesterday at Costco. It was a 65S60. That's a 65 inch plasma that is not 3D and not Smart. One step up is the 65ST60 which is 3D and also Smart.  If the powers that be (networks) decide that they want 3D in the home in a major way then they have the ability to make it happen.  If they do that then the majority of new TV buyers will be much more likely to actually want 3D and many more will say, "why not".  I think that scenario is reversed right now.  We like to think we have a major role in choosing what we watch and how we watch it, but we really don't.

#588 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

Is it safe to assume that you're TV features passive 3D technology?

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work great on my mitz dlp.

I just ordered the extended hobbit 3d bluray also.

Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#589 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

Work great on my mitz dlp.

If I'm not mistaken, only Vizio and LG are in the passive business now (since Mitsubishi no longer makes consumer TVs). LG's Plasma TVs use active matrix glasses.

For the rest who purchase TVs, it is the somewhat expensive (at least $26 a pair at Walmart) active shutter models.

I'm not happy about the glasses but for the experience of only one or two good movies a year, 3D just doesn't appeal to me. That said, I imagine myself in the James Long camp where having 3D, if not too much more money, will be something to have available. $400 may be too much more though.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#590 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

I suspect we'll be watching at least one 3d movie per month and the selection dish has available for $7/48hours will more than satisfy that. I don't see myself buying several blurays to fill that need.

$1000 for the 73" tv and $60 to enable 3d viewing, worth it. The 3d came along for the ride on my mitz.

Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Dish America Pkg

#591 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

If I'm not mistaken, only Vizio and LG are in the passive business now (since Mitsubishi no longer makes consumer TVs). LG's Plasma TVs use active matrix glasses.

For the rest who purchase TVs, it is the somewhat expensive (at least $26 a pair at Walmart) active shutter models.

I'm not happy about the glasses but for the experience of only one or two good movies a year, 3D just doesn't appeal to me. That said, I imagine myself in the James Long camp where having 3D, if not too much more money, will be something to have available. $400 may be too much more though.

Sony's new 550 series is Passive. Available in a 70" which is really nice for 3D.  Glasses average $10pr and each set comes with 4 pair.  Sony expects Passive to be the best option for the future. Possibly because they feel Passive lends itself well with 4K displays.

#592 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

Sony's new 550 series is Passive. Available in a 70" which is really nice for 3D.  Glasses average $10pr and each set comes with 4 pair.  Sony expects Passive to be the best option for the future. Possibly because they feel Passive lends itself well with 4K displays.

That said the Sony 900A, Sony's best non 4K is active 3D, Samsung runs Active also. Granted the rest of the pack are going toward passive, and a surprise to me was Panasonic's move to go out of the plasma business in favor of LEDs in 2014. Clearly the matrix of the TV business is changing towards new generations headed in the OLED/4K/LED direction, all 3D equipped.

Edited by 356B, 11 November 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#593 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think the biggest drawback to Passive is the ability to deliver 1080 to each eye.  4K will remedy that and OLED is yet to be determined as long as it's rlegated to 1080.  Everyone that has seen 3D on my 70R550A have been jaw dropping awed.

#594 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

I think the biggest drawback to Passive is the ability to deliver 1080 to each eye.  4K will remedy that and OLED is yet to be determined as long as it's rlegated to 1080.  Everyone that has seen 3D on my 70R550A have been jaw dropping awed.

I've seen a 60", very impressive. Personally I feel they will all go Passive soon.  I'm still on the fence... what to get. Panasonic had me reeled in then they dropped plasma leaving me wondering what's next......Apple was rumored to have a new set in 14, now it's 15, according to Euro sources...? I may wait for after Christmas and see what surfaces in Vegas this year.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#595 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

The only problem I see there is...  I would rather see native 4K 2D movies than see 3D movies in 1080p...  so if I ever had a 4K HDTV and there was more content, I would rather it be 4K 2D content.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#596 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

I believe that every Smart TV on the market  is also a 3D TV.

For their part, Vizio's Razor series of Smart TVs is offered with and without 3D capability for a pretty significant price difference (~$400). You know it isn't the cost of any included passive glasses.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#597 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Funny, but dish's pacific rim 3d looked better than the hobbit 3d bluray.

Dish America Pkg

#598 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Gravity looked great also...

Dish America Pkg

#599 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

The only problem I see there is...  I would rather see native 4K 2D movies than see 3D movies in 1080p...  so if I ever had a 4K HDTV and there was more content, I would rather it be 4K 2D content.

I'll continue to watch 4k 3D at the theater. If we don't support 3D at the theater then we'll have nothing new to watch on our 3D TVs.

#600 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

I'll continue to watch 4k 3D at the theater. If we don't support 3D at the theater then we'll have nothing new to watch on our 3D TVs.

I haven't been to a movie theater in probably nearly 20 years.  I haven't had any real desire since I got a good quality home setup.  I watch on Dish or wait for Blu-rays to release instead of going to the movies.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall