Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (147 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (34 votes [22.97%])

Percentage of vote: 22.97%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.38%])

Percentage of vote: 3.38%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (16 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (93 votes [62.84%])

Percentage of vote: 62.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#601 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 March 2014 - 08:50 AM

I haven't been to a movie theater in probably nearly 20 years.  I haven't had any real desire since I got a good quality home setup.  I watch on Dish or wait for Blu-rays to release instead of going to the movies.

I dont go to the movies that often either, but IMAX and 4K are 2 reasons you should try it out again.  I also have a pretty decent HT setup, but it cant compete with IMAX or 4K, and for some movies, its an amazing experience.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:04 AM

I haven't been to a movie theater in probably nearly 20 years.  I haven't had any real desire since I got a good quality home setup.  I watch on Dish or wait for Blu-rays to release instead of going to the movies.

I gave up on going to the theater many years ago too.  Tired of slipping on the floor from spilled buttered popcorn.  Oh, and it is a LOT cheaper to make my popcorn at home.

I would never buy a large TV just to get 3d either.  A really interesting movie can be in just about any format once you are INTO it.

Of course alway better in HD if available.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#603 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:39 AM

It has been a long time since I went to the Movies too. Slippery or sticky floor. Slobs that stuck their chewing gum under the seat just so I could get it stuck into my pants legs. High refreshment prices. Buttered Popcorn where the butter isn't real butter. I remember when the Hot butter dispenser would have real butter melting in it.

Thanks but no Thanks

TBoneit

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#604 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

I haven't been to a movie theater in probably nearly 20 years. I haven't had any real desire since I got a good quality home setup. I watch on Dish or wait for Blu-rays to release instead of going to the movies.

Based in avatar, if I where you, I'd check out the next avatar at the biggest IMAX you can find in 3d. Avatar was just better than any other 3d I have ever seen ten fold. James Cameron is just so darn picky. And I'm glad for that. Easily one of the most visually entertaining movies for setting.

#605 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

It has been a long time since I went to the Movies too. Slippery or sticky floor. Slobs that stuck their chewing gum under the seat just so I could get it stuck into my pants legs. High refreshment prices. Buttered Popcorn where the butter isn't real butter. I remember when the Hot butter dispenser would have real butter melting in it.

Thanks but no Thanks
TBoneit

Ok the high prices I get, but the theaters I go to don't have the mess that's being talked about here. They keep our theaters up pretty nice. Heck I have a couple that really keep up their theaters, have assigned seating and leather recliners. Theaters have evolved a lot in the last ten years, but that may also depend a little on where you live to.

#606 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:35 PM

For their part, Vizio's Razor series of Smart TVs is offered with and without 3D capability for a pretty significant price difference (~$400). You know it isn't the cost of any included passive glasses.

None of Vizio's 2014 models feature 3D, you can take that for what's worth. Many feel they will return to offering it once 3D without the need of glasses is perfected.

#607 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

high prices are pretty easy to counter, go to a Saturday or Sunday matinee....cheap tickets and usually the theaters are empty.....

#608 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Went to IMax theatre Saturday.

Sat 1/2 way back in center of the screen and was surprised that I could see the vertical pixels (vertical lines between pixels) when the image was very bright, white or similar, maybe even 4K is not good enough.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#609 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

8-Track, Laser Disc, Quadraphonic Sound, 3DTV.

I still have LaserDisc and they still have players on the market. I'm looking at two shelves of discs. And on the same note, people, kids, are realizing that Vinyl is better than CD's. I knew that day one. Vinyl is richer with a fuller sound. Digital Audio strips out a lot. So add CD/Digital Audio in there too.

#610 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

+1

Plus the concession stand is lot cheaper and you can have most anything you want. That is if you went shopping prior to. You won't miss any of the movie for potty breaks. You can get as comfortable as you want, first of all, then without disturbing the persons next and behind you. And for the cost of a couple of tickets, you can own the movie. So . . .

I use to hang and do premier advertising for a theater manager here in town and we would get to go to the pre-public pre-roll of the movies and even then all by ourselves, granted at 2 a.m., it still wasn't as good as home.

There was an expose on network news the other night about the decline in movie theater attendance and it was said that the theaters are stepping up. What! Why now? Now that they are in trouble, they step up. Why not since day one so that they would get in trouble? We have many Theater Pub whatevers in my area, some pretty large and others that serve a full meal they are only a one time, been there, done that, home is still better. Commercial novelty, greed, will never beat what you can make for yourself. I've been doing it for decades. Maybe I should start charging admission. My show is far better.

#611 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

high prices are pretty easy to counter, go to a Saturday or Sunday matinee....cheap tickets and usually the theaters are empty.....

In Jersey, at least near us, there is no significant matinee discount. $11 vs $13.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#612 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

I still have LaserDisc and they still have players on the market. I'm looking at two shelves of discs. And on the same note, people, kids, are realizing that Vinyl is better than CD's. I knew that day one. Vinyl is richer with a fuller sound. Digital Audio strips out a lot. So add CD/Digital Audio in there too.

I put my LD away ten years ago; 1080i is way way better. 

And audio: 20-30 years ago, a high quality vinyl set up beat the pants off ordinary CDs, but the situation is reversed now.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#613 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

None of Vizio's 2014 models feature 3D, you can take that for what's worth.

The larger Vizio's M series TVs claim "Theater 3D".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#614 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Lots of companies claim lots of things....

#615 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

http://www.theverge....ills-3d-support

2013 yes, not the current models for 2014.

spam firewall