Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (155 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (38 votes [24.36%])

Percentage of vote: 24.36%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.21%])

Percentage of vote: 3.21%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.54%])

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (95 votes [60.90%])

Percentage of vote: 60.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:42 PM

After watching Harry Potter in 3D and in 2D, personally I am not even interested in 3D. The idea of sitting around watching a movie for hours wearing those silly glasses, just to get more depth, with less color vibrance, is something that doesn't interest me at all. Just like with Avatar, great movie, but the color was better in 2D, and I didn't have to spend hours adjusting those silly glasses over and over again.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Even Roger Ebert said in his review "HP7-2 is not worth it in 3D, it's dark enough as it is and then when you cut the light down by doing 3D you're up a creek"

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#103 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

I have been with E* since the beginning. I lived through no NFL Season ticket. I survived many years of less HD and still no local HD. I had no locals at all for many years .Our DMA was one of the last to get locals. I suffered through the loss of all the Voom channels. I agonized over the possible loss of DVRs with the TIVO suit. Yet , not once, did I call the competition.

But now I am being asked to do without 3d. I went online to Directv. They offered a great deal with a free NFL Season Ticket . I saw their 3d schedule. It was impressive. They also have my locals in HD. The only thing holding me back from moving is the loss of all the programming I have on EHDs. Some of which are old VOOM Rave concerts that I will never be able to duplicate. I am interested enough that I am researching how to use Directv limited EHD solution. The EHD becomes the only HD and is tied to one receiver. I am also researching if I can program a solution to copy E* formated to D* formated EHD.

3D is just a fad. Forget about it!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#104 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Currently 3D is nothing more than a gimmick to relieve you of more of your hard earned dollars and movie theaters are finding that out, for the most part, the same films offered in regular 2D are outselling the 3D.

Why is this you ask? Simply the 3D effect really does not offer any thing to the story and only marginally to the visual significance of the film. True, a few movies do look better in 3D, but they are far a few between.

The main reason that 3D will not be embraced in its present form, are the glasses, the wearer must look at the screen in a far different manner and far different than what are brains have been taught to do over millions of years of evolving. This is why after a few minutes, many people will have a headache and which is why a few early 3D films from the late 50’s and early 60’s cued you when to put on your glasses to see the effect.

So as long as 3D forces you to focus on one point, while trying to converge on a second, it will never really be viable; and I do not see any 3D holographic projections coming along anytime soon.

#105 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

Even Roger Ebert said in his review "HP7-2 is not worth it in 3D, it's dark enough as it is and then when you cut the light down by doing 3D you're up a creek"

Even movies like Avatar that weren't as dark as HP7-2, the colors were muted, and its just not worth the hassles. I watch HD for the clarity and colors. 3D has a long way to to before its really primetime. Not bagging on those that want it, but totally understand why there is really very little 3D, channel support out there, as its really not HD primetime, and a big step back, for viewing enjoyment.

#106 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:18 PM

I saw the same kind of comments when color tvs came out. Color tvs just don't have the same contrast and deep blacks as BW TVs. Its just a fad. The same was true when HD first arrived. Who will pay so much for so little? What about when Cable and Satellite Tv came out. Everyone said we will never pay for TV. Many were against the internet. There will be plenty who will want 3D. Of the major cable and Satellite cos only E* is without any. In a high tech world I believe they need to change their business model.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#107 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

I saw the same kind of comments when color tvs came out. Color tvs just don't have the same contrast and deep blacks as BW TVs. Its just a fad. The same was true when HD first arrived. Who will pay so much for so little? What about when Cable and Satellite Tv came out. Everyone said we will never pay for TV. Many were against the internet. There will be plenty who will want 3D. Of the major cable and Satellite cos only E* is without any. In a high tech world I believe they need to change their business model.

Trying to compare 3D's 4th or so attempt at trying to reach the mass's with Color TV, Internet, HDTV and Internet is a pretty big reach.

Little younger than you, as Color TV has always been around for me. Granted I still remember shows that said NOW in color. Never heard anybody growing up that color was a fad. As for Cable it was it sucked that it took so long to get were you lived, not it was a Fad. I have heard people talk about HDTV, but those that don't really like it, its due to the TV's being to big. As for Internet, those over 90 back in the 90's may not have been interested, but that's really about it. One of the reasons the entire Internet and stocks of companies that supplied the backbone and equipment went sky high and had the bubble burst was due to overwhelming demand, not because people didn't want it.

Direct has 2, 3D channels, Comcrap has 1, all those are exclusive to the provider. Only Espn 3D is open to everybody and Discovery Channel is talking about launching in 2012 now its 3D channel. Several providers out there who are offering support for those every so often shows, that a network will put out in a gimmick show, which those shows are, gimmicks.

I have watched Sky3D, and can tell you, it about ruins a soccer game, not bad for Rugby, but fast sprinting sports, on a large field, its horrible for as the movement is to broad. 3D is cool for that needed special effect, but not for every day TV.

#108 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,177 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

I agree that not every channel and every show benefits from 3D but shouldn't the option be available for the folks that do want it? I have DIRECTV and not everything on their 3D channels should be but there are many programs that do benefit. You mention that some folks get headaches trying to watch 3D but many don't so you're saying that because of that Dish shouldn't make the channels available for those that don't?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#109 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm sorry I am old enough to remember the advent of color tv and from what I recall everyone wanted one!! Now, if you could afford one was a totally different story! The simple fact is people want 3D because it is human nature to want the latest and greatest gadget. Well, 3D isn't a gadget it isn't even cutting edge tech. it is 1950's tech that is being used to sell people more televisions, blueray players and movies that are more expensive then they should be!

#110 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:26 PM

Comparing the appeal of 3D to color isn't a good one.

When color TV was invented, people wanted it but not everyone could afford it... but it was wanted by everyone as soon as they could be afforded in the home.

Once that tipping point was reached, you saw mostly an end to new black and white development on TV... but that was many years ago AND... color TV never failed and went away. It was always wanted, and slowly grew.

I've lost count during my lifetime (and it goes back further) of the number of times and methods for 3D... it comes, and some people really like it... but even those people get tired of it and stop wanting to pay more for it if asked... so it keeps going away again.

Maybe this time it will stick, since it is being put into new HDTVs... so over time more people will have it... but it just isn't as necessary.

Color arguably is infinitely more necessary over black and white to achieve the look of reality... whereas we have largely adopted viewing 2D images on a screen for a few generations now... so the jump to 3D can be cool but can also be meh.

Honestly, until we have Star Trek-like hologram technology where you can actually be in the movie and walk around the characters... 3D on TV or other flat screens will just be a poor approximation of 3D in real life.

Give me a holodeck and I'll jump at that! But 3D glasses (or even not glasses) TV? I can wait.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#111 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

Why doesn't Dish have OnDemand HBO 3D? Would not take a channel.

#112 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,958 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Why doesn't Dish have OnDemand HBO 3D? Would not take a channel.

DISH has some 3D available OnDemand ... but the direction they are going with 3D will take them away from the current receivers and require upgrades to receivers not yet available (with the 922 being the "low end" 3D receiver similar to where the 622 is today). DISH's equipment isn't ready for 3D.

Other than that, there are about a dozen things DISH needs to get moving on before tackling 3D. Getting the EPG for the channels we already pay for right would be a good start. Getting full time HD RSNs for at least the non-alt channels would be a better move forward than 3D. There are much bigger fish to fry.

#113 OFFLINE   dkdesantis

dkdesantis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:06 AM

Although I have not confirmed yet, I was told by Dish Customer Service that the 722K receiver is now capible to view Dish 3D VOC.

#114 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

Now I see the real story. Even if E* had 3D, they couldn't send it to my 622s. So I guess the arguement as to which companies DVRs are better gets another plus in the Directv corner. I am not happy.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#115 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

dkdesantis,

The 922 is the only receiver we currently have that supports 3D events. I have not heard of any upgrades to other receivers or if the other receivers have the capability of 3D. Currently the 722k is not 3D capable. I apologize for the misinformation you were given.

#116 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Now I see the real story. Even if E* had 3D, they couldn't send it to my 622s. So I guess the arguement as to which companies DVRs are better gets another plus in the Directv corner. I am not happy.

I'm pretty sure not all of DirecTV's receivers are 3D capable either. I couldn't tell you which ones... but I'm sure there are existing DirecTV customers who would also need a new receiver for 3D.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

#117 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

I'm pretty sure not all of DirecTV's receivers are 3D capable either. I couldn't tell you which ones... but I'm sure there are existing DirecTV customers who would also need a new receiver for 3D.

Correct, the Hx20 don't play 3d... 21, 22, 23, & 24 all do.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#118 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,177 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Correct, the Hx20 don't play 3d... 21, 22, 23, & 24 all do.

If you did have a HR20 and got a 3D set DIRECTV will swap it for a >HR20 for free. Plus except for the H20 the non HD DVR's also can do 3D.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#119 OFFLINE   dkdesantis

dkdesantis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

RayC.

I received the below message from Matt. I hope he is right. Can you confirm? And if you are right, push the Dish tech dept. Thanks.

The 722k has the capability to view 3D VOD, but at this time there are no 3D movies available for it.

Currently, only the 922 has 3D VOD titles that are able to be viewed
Sunday-Thursday 2:45p-11:15p (MST)

#120 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:42 AM

DISH has some 3D available OnDemand ... but the direction they are going with 3D will take them away from the current receivers and require upgrades to receivers not yet available (with the 922 being the "low end" 3D receiver similar to where the 622 is today). DISH's equipment isn't ready for 3D.

Other than that, there are about a dozen things DISH needs to get moving on before tackling 3D. Getting the EPG for the channels we already pay for right would be a good start. Getting full time HD RSNs for at least the non-alt channels would be a better move forward than 3D. There are much bigger fish to fry.

Yes but seems On Demand HBO 3D would be easy and a start. Of course on the 722K also because that is what I have.

#121 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

One broadcast sources says that 3D sales are slumping, not a big sales item. The 3D HDTV cost more the price of the glasses needed to watch is BIG$$$. The demos in stores are not good most of the glasses are missing or broken.
3D in theaters is one thing but at home is more or less ho-hm.

#122 OFFLINE   jwktiger05

jwktiger05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

One broadcast sources says that 3D sales are slumping, not a big sales item. The 3D HDTV cost more the price of the glasses needed to watch is BIG$$$. The demos in stores are not good most of the glasses are missing or broken.
3D in theaters is one thing but at home is more or less ho-hm.

Swanni @ TV Predictions has several great posts about how overhyped 3D is and its not something people care about
-JWK

#123 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

I think this may put things into perspective; Best Buy lists 6057 BluRay titles on their website. Only 53 of them are in 3D. There really just isn’t any interest in 3D and the initial hype has waned.

#124 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

I think this may put things into perspective; Best Buy lists 6057 BluRay titles on their website. Only 53 of them are in 3D. There really just isn’t any interest in 3D and the initial hype has waned.

That's not an indicator of anything, really, other than Best Buy carries most 3D titles. There's only about 66 3D titles on the market, currently.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#125 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,254 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

That's not an indicator of anything, really, other than Best Buy carries most 3D titles. There's only about 66 3D titles on the market, currently.

It is an indicator of availability of 3D titles... but I agree it isn't an indicator of interest in 3D.

When there aren't many titles available, it's hard to gauge consumer interest.

BUT... it's valid when saying that "Dish needs to get moving on 3D"... because if the leading movie companies have only produced 66 Blu-ray releases in 3D... and there are only a couple of 3D channels available... then it is hard to say Dish is very behind in 3D at this point.

Ticket sales at the box office have began to reflect that people care less about 3D than they do a good movie. GOOD 3D movies still sell well... but bad 3D movies no longer have that "new car smell" that drives people to buy tickets.

So... I think Dish would be smart to take the wait and see approach before investing too much in 3D technology.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...