Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (152 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (36 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.27%])

Percentage of vote: 3.27%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (18 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (94 votes [61.44%])

Percentage of vote: 61.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:12 PM

One broadcast sources says that 3D sales are slumping, not a big sales item. The 3D HDTV cost more the price of the glasses needed to watch is BIG$$$. The demos in stores are not good most of the glasses are missing or broken.
3D in theaters is one thing but at home is more or less ho-hm.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   jwktiger05

jwktiger05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

One broadcast sources says that 3D sales are slumping, not a big sales item. The 3D HDTV cost more the price of the glasses needed to watch is BIG$$$. The demos in stores are not good most of the glasses are missing or broken.
3D in theaters is one thing but at home is more or less ho-hm.

Swanni @ TV Predictions has several great posts about how overhyped 3D is and its not something people care about
-JWK

#123 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

I think this may put things into perspective; Best Buy lists 6057 BluRay titles on their website. Only 53 of them are in 3D. There really just isn’t any interest in 3D and the initial hype has waned.

#124 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,903 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:17 PM

I think this may put things into perspective; Best Buy lists 6057 BluRay titles on their website. Only 53 of them are in 3D. There really just isn’t any interest in 3D and the initial hype has waned.

That's not an indicator of anything, really, other than Best Buy carries most 3D titles. There's only about 66 3D titles on the market, currently.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#125 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:30 PM

That's not an indicator of anything, really, other than Best Buy carries most 3D titles. There's only about 66 3D titles on the market, currently.

It is an indicator of availability of 3D titles... but I agree it isn't an indicator of interest in 3D.

When there aren't many titles available, it's hard to gauge consumer interest.

BUT... it's valid when saying that "Dish needs to get moving on 3D"... because if the leading movie companies have only produced 66 Blu-ray releases in 3D... and there are only a couple of 3D channels available... then it is hard to say Dish is very behind in 3D at this point.

Ticket sales at the box office have began to reflect that people care less about 3D than they do a good movie. GOOD 3D movies still sell well... but bad 3D movies no longer have that "new car smell" that drives people to buy tickets.

So... I think Dish would be smart to take the wait and see approach before investing too much in 3D technology.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#126 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,903 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

It is an indicator of availability of 3D titles... but I agree it isn't an indicator of interest in 3D.

When there aren't many titles available, it's hard to gauge consumer interest.

BUT... it's valid when saying that "Dish needs to get moving on 3D"... because if the leading movie companies have only produced 66 Blu-ray releases in 3D... and there are only a couple of 3D channels available... then it is hard to say Dish is very behind in 3D at this point.

Ticket sales at the box office have began to reflect that people care less about 3D than they do a good movie. GOOD 3D movies still sell well... but bad 3D movies no longer have that "new car smell" that drives people to buy tickets.

So... I think Dish would be smart to take the wait and see approach before investing too much in 3D technology.

Agreed. I think it's smart that Dish is waiting. I enjoy 3D, but there's no reason to invest in it like DirecTV seems to be doing.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#127 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

I wonder how many of those 6057 are actually new movies that were released in the last couple or 3 years? I have several that are old movies remastered to bluray. Click here for a site that lists 67 3D movies that are to be/have been released in 2011 and 2013. Numbers are fun aren't they? If the folks who say 3D is just a fad that has no place in their home are correct then those of us who have 3D sets will not have a use for them in a few years and they can crow "I told you so!" In the meantime I for one will enjoy my 3D TVs. And my Panny bluray that does a decent job of converting 2D DVDs to 3D. And the Panny plasma that will convert any signal to 3D. Not perfect maybe but we enjoy them.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#128 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Granted many of those movie are not now or will never be offered in 3D, but my opinion comes from reading many online sites.

http://www.nbc-2.com...-with-3d-movies

http://www.technolog...asp?newsID=5107

http://www.cinemable...ws-2-25307.html

http://www.businessi.../3d-bust-2011-5

If you one of those that enjoys 3D that's fine with you, but I really feel that it will disappear once again, just like all the other incarnations have.

#129 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

It seems to me the same was said about multi-channel audio. We had Quad in the 70's. The experts and non-experts alike said multi-channel audio was a waste, and it didn't add anything. They said there was no use for it. "Nice try. No one's interested." It was declared dead forever.

Fast forward to 2011. Multi-channel audio is almost ubiquitous. It has a different name now. Oh, and it has even more audio channels than before.

Michael

Digital audio didn't existent in the 70s, But now it does and multi-channel sounds good.

#130 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

I'm not wearing 3D glasses over my prescription glasses.

I'd be happy if the cable & satellite providers would just show uncompressed, full 1920 x 1080P.

#131 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

Sales of 3D TVs are up because manufacturers are making their high end TVs 3D capable. In one article after another you see the comment "the best TV for 2D is a 3D capable TV". Doesn't mean viewers are all that excited about 3D. How are sales of extra 3D glasses? With some manufacturers only giving you one pair, families should be buying 3 or 4 extra pairs if they plan to watch a lot of 3D. I haven't seen the stats on glasses sales but they would be interesting. I know my next TV will probably be 3D capable because I want the best 2D but I'm not even sure I care about getting a 3D BluRay yet.

I now own 5 HDTVs none are 3D.
I saw Avatar twice in 3D at the theater, when I got the BR DVD and watched is at home I was amazed at how much more detail I could see and I became more aware of the sound track, interesting. I started thinking about this and realized that the brain processing time of the 3D was detracting from the audio perception. I run a lot of live sound, when I really want to hear the mix I close my eyes so I can concentrate on the sound.
Lately when I go to the show I see the 2D version of the movie, getting tired of the $$ for the glasses and wearing them.:(

#132 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 02:00 AM

Are they going to fill in the missing HD premium channels, which they have but only in SD? Like HBO2 West, MoreMax, Sho Extreme, Sho Beyond, TMC extra?

I'd like to see them get moving on that.

#133 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

The audience for full time RSN's in HD is much greater than any audience for 3D.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#134 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:24 PM

The audience for full time RSN's in HD is much greater than any audience for 3D.

Yes, not even close.

#135 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

At the moment 3D is an over hyped diverse non-established "universal" specification that is no different than the HDMI group, Betamax/VHS or Blu-ray/HDDisc fighting matches. It's the movie theaters that have a set, somewhat, format that may not translate to LCD 3D. It will to my DLP. Because that's what they are using. Dish could adopt one of the pre-specs that may not work with your particular 3D TV because they're not the same. Until they come up with a solid set specification, which means you may need to buy a new TV, it's basically a crap shoot/moot point. Although they do have several levels of hardware, i.e., HDMI 1.4 and the 4k DLP projection (which Mitsubishi uses) that is in place but may not work in trickle down conversion. But until they are firm standards on the market, it is foolish for any "3rd party" vendor (DISH) to latch on to a format. It could end up being "not the one" in the end. It is way to early in the game for a group such as DISH to grab a format. If they what to broadcast something that is already 3D, I trust it may be "this image may not appear as intended".

PLUS, it is being found out that 3D may not be the best thing for the human condition. They have found may idiosyncrasies that the human body just can't assimilate to. For instance, Johnny Depp, as there are many, did not go to the opening of the last Pirates 3D premier, because he can not see 3D as it is at the moment. The situation is so early in its infancy for anyone to really jump in and go for it and expect it to last for the long run. But what with the fastly growing population of those that really want it, the process of finalizing and final standard shouldn't be long off.

#136 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

We have seen the exact justifications given earlier for not moving quickly on HD.

All businesses have to act both tactically & strategically. Just saying channel xyz will get more audience and thus not invest in a new technology can stagnate and cost the business mindshare and finally marketshare.

ps : I used to post using a different alias. Decided to change it to keep it consistant everywhere.

#137 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

We have seen the exact justifications given earlier for not moving quickly on HD.

All businesses have to act both tactically & strategically. Just saying channel xyz will get more audience and thus not invest in a new technology can stagnate and cost the business mindshare and finally marketshare.

ps : I used to post using a different alias. Decided to change it to keep it consistant everywhere.

What "were" you?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#138 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:36 PM

Could easily make 3D VOD. Dish is passing up an added revenue source.

#139 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:17 AM

Could easily make 3D VOD. Dish is passing up an added revenue source.

DISH has 3D VOD on the 922 ... if one really wants 3D one can pay (revenue source) for an upgrade to a 922.

There are other upgrades to DISH's system which would be a greater revenue source and expanding 3D to other receivers.

#140 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

Saw yesterday that DirecTV is dropping ESPN 3D. Not many subscribers willing to pay for it.

The jury is still out on 3D. Even the movie producers are backing away a little. The novelty has worn off. Sure, I'd buy a large screen 3D TV because the best TVs for 2D currently all include 3D capability, but I don't think I watch much, if any, 3D programming.

spam firewall