Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Needs to Get Moving on 3D

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your current interest in 3D? (151 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your current interest in 3D?

1. I own a 3DTV and am anxious for more 3D content (36 votes [23.68%])

Percentage of vote: 23.68%

2. I don't yet own a 3DTV but am planning to buy within the next 6 months (5 votes [3.29%])

Percentage of vote: 3.29%

3. I own a 3DTV but am not really interested in 3D content (17 votes [11.18%])

Percentage of vote: 11.18%

4. I don't own a 3DTV and am not planning on investing in 3D in the near future (94 votes [61.84%])

Percentage of vote: 61.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

An amusing blast from the past.

http://www.hometheat...tvsattuners/67/

While DirecTV offers more sports programming, DISH Network offers as many or more movie channels and twice as many HDTV channels. OK, so "twice as many" means two more than the competition. DISH Network offers Showtime and HBO, a demo channel for retail displays, and a dedicated 24-hour pay-per-view movie channel. DirecTV offers only HBO and a second channel that displays demo material during the day for retailers and pay-per-view programs in the evening. Regardless, for high-definition-display-owning, non-sports-enthusiast movie lovers like me, the extra HD channels are a big bonus.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:37 PM

But we're still talking about "early days"...

Even as your examples hold... there was a time when Dish had a couple of HD channels and DirecTV did not... but I don't remember gloom and doom predicted for DirecTV because Dish was "way ahead of them on HD" at that time.

That was my point... that there wasn't significant investment in HD until much later.

Dish has a receiver capable of 3D today... The 922 gets some 3D PPV movies. So... Dish has a 3D-capable receiver if you want one and some 3D viewing, limited to be sure.

DirecTV sounds like it has a couple of channels... and that's about it.

So... there just isn't leaps and bounds of 3D anywhere right now... and it is early in the game.

IF 3D is around in a few years and there are some more channels, then Dish will probably get on board then.

There's no need to make a huge investment now in something that may or may not be popular for the long-run.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#163 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

DirecTV sounds like it has a couple of channels... and that's about it.

Just to be clear, DIRECTV has four full time 3D channels, n3D, 3net, ESPN 3D and a PPV channel, plus an On Demand channel. Yes a lot of the content gets repeated, just like the early days of HD, but it's growing.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#164 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:10 AM

Just FYI, AT&T UVerse recently dropped ESPN 3D, and ESPN has publicly stated that they're trying to determine whether the channel itself will continue operations.

3D movies are not doing well at the box office these days (the upcharge often being $5 or more) and 3D-capable sets just aren't selling all that well yet, or at least not for their 3D capabilities (e.g. most people buying 3D sets don't care about 3D but want the best TV, and that often comes with 3D capabilities.)

It's likely that while HD followed a more DVD-like adoption curve, 3D is likely to be more like Blu-ray, or worse, like DVD-A or SACD.

#165 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,273 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

... and ESPN has publicly stated that they're trying to determine whether the channel itself will continue operations.

A link to this public statement is imperative.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#166 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

3D movies are not doing well at the box office these days (the upcharge often being $5 or more)

Ofcourse Hollywood is finding out that they still need to make decent movies. 3D won't sell by itself.

3D-capable sets just aren't selling all that well yet, or at least not for their 3D capabilities (e.g. most people buying 3D sets don't care about 3D but want the best TV, and that often comes with 3D capabilities.)

Speculation stated as fact.

#167 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:03 PM

A few negative stories below... Was going to post some positive ones but couldn't find any.

http://www.businessi...on-3d-tv-2011-9

http://www.nypost.co...zccfxYzpDLXx4iN

http://www.dmwmedia....decline-in-2011

http://www.tvpredict...sonic090711.htm

http://www.homemedia...-adoption-23611

http://www.wired.co....sales-hollywood

http://www.usatoday....time/50296416/1

http://www.investorp...asonic-toshiba/
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#168 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

I'm not interested in 3D, but those who are might enjoy reading this article about Toshiba's no-glasses 3D, viewable from 9 different locations.

http://news.cnet.com...et/?tag=nl.e702

#169 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

Majority of consumers always flock around the next big gimmick. 3d sales are floundering in there main market (theaters) already, i find it doubtful that many channels are really going to make the investment to offer 3d if things keep going the way they are. Especially with the few 3d channels we have around now not being anything particularly special.

Since the new wave of 3d movies there really have only been 3 or 4 movies to even do it right and make it worth the upsell (imo, avatar, Tron:legacy and a few others), the majority of everything else was just 3d tacked onto a movie to grab a sell (clash of the titans). Or just straight up gimmick garbage like Shark Night 3d and Piranha 3d.

People are getting tired of paying extra money to see Thors hammer thrown at you in one scene of a movie. Honestly, 3D is a big farse and im glad more and more people are starting to see its a big waste of time and money.

#170 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

A few negative stories below... Was going to post some positive ones but couldn't find any.

Find me a few positive stories about HD from around 2000 and I'll checkout the links you posted.

Majority of consumers always flock around the next big gimmick.

You mean like surround sound ?!

In reality few can really figure out right now what will happen in the future. You can look at the past and pull out examples to match your expectations. There is always a SACD for every BD.

The point is not whether 3D WILL succeed. The point is Dish should embrace the new format as an investment for the future - considering all the hardware support. Just like they did with HD (when the hardware support was much less). Nothing is certain in this world - success or failure of 3D is no different.

#171 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,509 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:04 PM

3D = BetaMax

Days are numbered from the start.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#172 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

The point is not whether 3D WILL succeed. The point is Dish should embrace the new format as an investment for the future

Actually, from a business standpoint... Dish should consider whether or not 3D will succeed before investing a lot of money.

IF they don't feel 3D is going to stay around or grow rapidly... then they would be fools to invest in it now.

IF 3D succeeds, then all the technology will be cheaper 5 years from now than it is today and Dish could save money by not being an early adopter themselves!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#173 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

3D = BetaMax

Days are numbered from the start.

??? Not even close!

BetaMax was top quality video, stereo, and the best pause in the industry, its only demise was due to hi quality it gave less recording time....So lets be honest, it was the cheap population that cared more about recording time than they did quality!!!!

Were that has anything to do with 3D is an apple to a orange!!

What about Lazer Disks?

#174 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

what about them? They're dead too. They were a high end product with low adoption and was surpassed by newer, cheaper technology.

Much like I expect the current batch of 3D TVs to go, really.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#175 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:33 AM

IF 3D succeeds, then all the technology will be cheaper 5 years from now than it is today and Dish could save money by not being an early adopter themselves!

Not really - remember they don't need to invest a lot.

The big problem Dish will have is people will leave in droves as 3D catches on and it is much more difficult (and costly) to get them back.

Also, more time Dish procrastinates, more channels will go Directv exclusive. Then, where is dish going to get content from ?

I see this as a low risk, low investment option.

#176 OFFLINE   evnow

evnow

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:34 AM

Much like I expect the current batch of 3D TVs to go, really.

Ofcourse - the TVs will improve. What has that got to do with dish supporting 3D. The standards are set - including the HDMI standard. That is all Dish has to care about.

#177 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 08:47 AM

I keep hearing about Dish investing in 3D, just how much would we be talking about? They already have a HD DVR that supports 3D, the 922, so they might actually make some money on upgrade fees and higher monthly lease charges from folks wanting 3D, besides a couple PPV's. A 3D SBS channel takes the same bandwidth as a 2D HD channel so if Dish has the bandwidth available they could add it. Guess just trying to see how much of an investment we're talking about?

#178 OFFLINE   jcrobso

jcrobso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:35 AM

??? Not even close!

BetaMax was top quality video, stereo, and the best pause in the industry, its only demise was due to hi quality it gave less recording time....So lets be honest, it was the cheap population that cared more about recording time than they did quality!!!!

Were that has anything to do with 3D is an apple to a orange!!

What about Lazer Disks?

Yes, Beta gave better quality, but only at the Beta 1 speed and 1 hour play time. When you used the Beta 2 speed to get 2 hours you got the same quality as VHS.:eek2: Sony wanted BIG$$$ for Beta machines, VHS prices were lower. I spent a lot of time resurrecting this before going with VHS.
At the time of Beta-VHS wars most people had 10~15 year old color TVs and couldn't see the difference anyway.:(

#179 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:41 AM

Ofcourse - the TVs will improve. What has that got to do with dish supporting 3D. The standards are set - including the HDMI standard. That is all Dish has to care about.

The 3D standards are NOT set. That's the problem. I didn't buy "draft N" wireless, I'm not going to buy non-standard 3D.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#180 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

The 3D standards are NOT set. That's the problem. I didn't buy "draft N" wireless, I'm not going to buy non-standard 3D.

Besides the interface between the TV and the glasses, in the case of active 3D sets, what doesn't have a standard yet?

spam firewall