Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Sling Adapter?

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jedi5

jedi5

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:46 PM

Sorry if this has been asked, I did a search and did see anything... unless I missed it, LOL.

Was reading about a current Dish promotion for a free Sling Adapter.

What I can't confirm if this is for new or existing customers.
From what I've read, it seems to be mixed.
While some existing customers aren't able to get this free adapter, others are.

I haven't had a chance to call Dish yet but I will tomorrow.
Before I call though, just thought I would ask here in case anyone had any more info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:15 AM

I just spoke with a CSR and he said they are now extending the free adapter to current subs. He said he tagged my account so when it comes time to apply for teh gift card I can. Something like in 45 days. I ordered one and so we shall see.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

I ordered one as well. Apply for the rebate on or after July 4th. The period for applying for the rebate is from 45 days after installation to 60 days after installation. Don't forget. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

I ordered one as well. Apply for the rebate on or after July 4th. The period for applying for the rebate is from 45 days after installation to 60 days after installation. Don't forget. :)

I already have it in my smart phone calender because I can no longer rely on my once flawless memory. Seems my old man brain is taking over. :lol:
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

What Internet connection speeds are recommended when using a Sling Adapter? Their website states:
Network Bandwidth
SD Streaming: 600 Kbps or higher
Mobile Streaming: 150 Kbps or higher

They don't specify if this is for your home network or for home + Internet. Or for an upload or download Internet connection speed. I'm presuming a 600 Kbps upload connection is needed in order to get content out of my house. Would that be correct?

Edited by Mike109, 19 May 2011 - 10:04 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,242 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

I'm presuming a 600 Kbps upload connection is needed in order to get content out of my house. Would that be correct?

A MINIMUM 600Kbps upload speed is needed over and above any other outbound Internet traffic on your broadband connection. For HD transmission the number jumps up to 3Mbps.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:28 AM

O.K. guys, I am going to display my stupidity. What is a "sling adapator" and what does it do for you?
Red

#8 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:41 AM

I would suggest performing a Search and check some of the 175 hits you'll get. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

O.K. guys, I am going to display my stupidity. What is a "sling adapator" and what does it do for you?

The Reader's Digest version: If you have a 722 and broadband the Sling Adapter will allow you to stream the contents of your DVR and/or your live satellite feed over the net to one receiving device (laptop, PDA etc.) anywhere in the world!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#10 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

I sure wish they would get this working on the 622!

#11 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

I would suggest performing a Search and check some of the 175 hits you'll get. :)

Tried that.
Red

#12 OFFLINE   clapple

clapple

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:09 PM

The Reader's Digest version: If you have a 722 and broadband the Sling Adapter will allow you to stream the contents of your DVR and/or your live satellite feed over the net to one receiving device (laptop, PDA etc.) anywhere in the world!

THANKS.
Red

#13 OFFLINE   scorpion43

scorpion43

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

so if i have a SLINGBOX PRO HD i don't need this right?

#14 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:00 PM

That is correct, you have the sling box which can work on pretty much any receiver. The Sling adapter is limited to the 722 or 722k only.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:54 PM

so if i have a SLINGBOX PRO HD i don't need this right?

Depends. I have a Slingbox PRO HD on my 722 and am perfectly content as there is only my wife and I and we don't need to have the 722 TV2 separately controlled from another location.

The Sling Adapter uses the TV2 portion of the system giving you a second HD feed from a 722/722k controlled separately so that one person could be watching "House" in HD in the home theater in San Diego, California, from the TV1 out, while while using an Adapter another simultaneously could be watching "Dancing with the Stars" in HD in Portland, Maine, on a computer plugged into a large monitor.

And if you want a fully mobile household, you can put a Slingbox PRO HD on the TV1 out of a 722/722k plus have a Sling Adapter. Your internet service upload speed and router need to be at an upper tier, but it could work.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   IceHogs

IceHogs

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:59 PM

So is the pre-paid card a Dish gift card or is it more like a pre-paid Visa debit card that you can use anywhere?

#17 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:14 PM

Mary, can you confirm that the free sling adapter offer is open to existing dish customers that meet all the other terms of the offer (at least top 200 & signup for e-newsletter)?

#18 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Mary, can you confirm that the free sling adapter offer is open to existing dish customers that meet all the other terms of the offer (at least top 200 & signup for e-newsletter)?

If you would like to PM me your account information or phone#, I can see if I can get you qualified.

Mary Catherine Brady

#19 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

So is the pre-paid card a Dish gift card or is it more like a pre-paid Visa debit card that you can use anywhere?

It will be a $99.00 Pre-Paid Mastercard, that can be used anywhere Master Card is accepted.

Mary Catherine Brady

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

It will be a $99.00 Pre-Paid Mastercard, that can be used anywhere Master Card is accepted.

That's good to know... I thought someone somewhere had said it was going to be an American Express pre-paid card... MasterCard would be much preferred as it is more widely accepted at the places I shop.

I've been trying to nudge my father towards Dish... and this is another possible bonus to push him there since this is a nice way to get the Sling features for free that he'd have to pay more money to get a 922.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall