Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

my panny DMP-BDT210P review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:53 PM

I did a little review of my new panny DMP-BDT210P.
Internet features may not be as extensive as some units because as of 5-19-2011 Hulu was not supported yet. Netflix, Vudu, Amazon video, Youtube, CinimaNow, Pandora, Twitter, Picasa, Skype, Alphaline, Bloomberg, weather, Tagesschau are all supported.

Being a prime Amazon customer my first movie was a free HD selection from Amazon Prime, followed by a HDX (1080P quality)Vudu movie "The Black Swan" you get one 5.99 credit through Vudo without signing up or giving any CC information. The ability to stream the Black Swan @ 4500 kbps = 4.39453125 Mbps over Wi-Fi was impressive without any hiccups. A standard HD movie 720p requires 2250 kbps = 2.19726562 Mbps so the 4.4 Mbps for 1080p was a true test of its streaming ability. My router is a Linksys E3000 wireless N @ 2.4 ghz and located about 30' and through two walls. I'm not a netflix member yet but from other reviews the interface is much better than the Sony units which are really user unfriendly. I can report Vudo,Pandora,and Amazon have very friendly user interfaces.

As far as blue ray movies on disk I tested with Avatar and the movie looked flawless and loaded twice as fast as my older pioneer player it replaced. I had to go into settings and turn off secondary audio for DTS-HD Master Audio to work.
Most players defaults are not set for home theaters so this is normal.

The one area I was not impressed with was the up-conversion on older 480P movies. I tested with Saving Private Ryan and thought my older Pioneer player did a better job. If this is an important feature I would look at another unit. In my case I'll continue to use my Pioneer (BDF-51FD)for 480p movies.
As far as testing the units ability to play files on my computer or USB disk I haven't tested because I'm all ready hooked up directly with HDMI so any file on my computer plays flawless with sound. Using a second interface is impractical and unnecessary in my case. You may ask how I have HDMI going to both computer monitor and TV. I use a HDMI splitter from Monoprice. I don't think there are any dual HDMI video cards yet but honestly I have not looked lately.
Overall its a great player with just a couple flaws, its up-conversion ability with older 480P disk is unimpressive and no Hulu app yet. But the excellent Wi-Fi streaming and very friendly interface for internet apps with great BD playback out weighed the bad.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

Most professional reviewers have praised the upconversion capabilities of the 2011 panny line.

HERE'S a great review from a pretty good source.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:28 PM

Most professional reviewers have praised the upconversion capabilities of the 2011 panny line.

HERE'S a great review from a pretty good source.

I can only review on my own non professional experience. My Pioneer (BDF-51FD) does a better job as I reported.

2-HR24-500
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#4 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

I can only review on my own non professional experience. My Pioneer (BDF-51FD) does a better job as I reported.

My three Sammy BD 5500s do a much better job of upscaling than the Pannys do. Incredibly better, and I'm definitely not a Sammy fan.

Rich

#5 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

My three Sammy BD 5500s do a much better job of upscaling than the Pannys do. Incredibly better, and I'm definitely not a Sammy fan.

Rich

Thanks Rich, I was not making it up for sure. The pioneer does a excellent job also and the difference was noticeable enough I had to include it in my thoughts.

2-HR24-500
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,882 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:24 PM

Thanks Rich, I was not making it up for sure. The pioneer does a excellent job also and the difference was noticeable enough I had to include it in my thoughts.

Never had a Pioneer and when I got my first Panny I thought it was the best upscaling BD player I'd ever used (including the OPPOs). Then I bought a Sammy sound system/BD5500 and when I tried the upscaling it blew everything I've tried away. I bought two more stand alone 5500s immediately and sold or gave away three BD65s and returned the newer BD 100 (I think that's the correct model, it was one of the new line).

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...