Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol 2011 - Finale 5/24/2011

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Poll: Who is your 2011 American Idol? (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Who is your 2011 American Idol?

1. Scotty McCreery (21 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. Lauren Alaina (28 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:26 PM

I have a problem with the judges this season (sans Steve). Haley was criticised for yelling portions of her rendition of "The Earth Song". Isn't it strange that when you download Michael's version of the same song from Amazon and listen to it, Michael too yells the very same lyrics, and in the very same places Haley did?

While it is clear to me that Haley was being faithful to the original delivery, all it got her from these judges was criticism enough to get her voted off.

I question the qualifications of these clueless judges. And if they are not "clueless", then they certainly appeared to have an agenda.

I'm going to go and listen to Lauren's song now...
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Before I make my comments about last night's show, I wanted to look back a bit.

Coming into the top 13, I just KNEW it was going to be a "GIRLS" year, because I felt the talent was so stacked on the "GIRLS" side compared to the "GUYS" side this year.

Tim Halperin was an early favorite of mine on the "GUYS" side, but he didn't make it to the Top 13 due to a weak performance in the week in which people voted, and Jordan Dorsey had potential, but between his attitude during Hollywood week, and his amateur performance during the week in which people voted, got him kicked off.

Of the "GUYS" that did make it, Paul very quickly started to disappoint me, and Scotty (whose performances of Josh Turner songs had previously impressed me) quickly showed that he's a "One Trick Pony" with little talent outside of doing a great Josh Turner impersonation. On the plus side, James, who previously rubbed me the wrong way, and did little to impress me with his singing, started to do the opposite.

Kendra Chantelle was someone who I paid little attention to until her "Blackbird" duet with Paul, but I was disappointed to see her leave so soon, as I think she had a lot of potential.

Of the "GIRLS" that made it, I had a lot of favorites. Pia, Lauren, Karen, Ashton, Thia, and I even liked Haley and Naima. Unfortunately, many of them were kicked off WAY too soon.

Naima failed to reach the potential on the big stage that she showed with her performance that got her picked as a "Wild Card," and Haley (somewhat like Lauren) took a while to truly show her "chops."

Upon going into the Top 13 shows, Pia was my favorite to win... once she got kicked off, I wanted James to win it (with Lauren in the Top 2). If you had told me that Scotty, someone who, more often that not, makes me want to hit the mute button on the TV would make it to the Top 2 (much less win the competition) was an INSANE notion contemplated only in the fevered dreams of madmen... or Doug ( ;) )... whose theory I dismissed for weeks.

NOW... I'll work on posting my thoughts on last night.

~Alan

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

ROUND 1:

SCOTTY - "Gone": Whenever I hear this Montgomery Gentry song, I start the head-banging and air guitar... it's impulsive, but whenever I hear Scotty sing it, my impulse is to hit the mute button. However, I don't think it's his voice (or lack of one) that bothers me on this song like it does on so many of his other songs, but rather that it comes off as completely "phony." I've often compared Scotty to a drunken frat boy at a karaoke bar... and this song is a decent example of that. In his defense, I will say that Scotty did do a better job of the song this time around...

LAUREN - "Flat On The Floor": A good job... not great. Some parts were better than her first performance, but others suffered due to her voice issues earlier in the day.

ROUND 2:

SCOTTY - "Check Yes Or No": Well, he didn't butcher it like he did George Strait's "I Cross My Heart" earlier this season, and it was a good song choice, as I'm sure the teeny-boppers and tweens will love the cuteness of this song. As for me? Well, I didn't hate it per se, but I'll be happy if I never hear it again... ;)

LAUREN - "Maybe It Was Memphis": Interesting song choice from Carrie... "Maybe It Was Memphis" is one of Pam Tillis' most known songs, and though I'm not sure Lauren emotionally connected to the song in the way that Pam did, I thought she did a great job. On a side note, as someone who saw Pam Tillis in concert 15-17 years ago and heard her sing this song live, I'd much rather have been at the Nokia Theater and heard Lauren sing it...

ROUND 3:

SCOTTY - "I Love You This Big": CRAP!! I'm going to have to boycott Country radio for months now, won't I?! :mad:

LAUREN - "Like My Mother Does": WOW!!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I've already purchased this on iTunes... LOL!!! :) It's amazing what actual talent can do...

~Alan

#44 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

If you had told me that Scotty, someone who, more often that not, makes me want to hit the mute button on the TV would make it to the Top 2 (much less win the competition) was an INSANE notion contemplated only in the fevered dreams of madmen... or Doug ( ;) )... whose theory I dismissed for weeks.

Don't get me wrong here .. While I don't despise Scotty like some people here, He's not at all my personal favorite. I thought Robbie deserved to be in the top 13 and short of his last week, should have been in instead of Stefano. I enjoyed almost everything that James did, but even he laid and egg in the duet with Jacob. As the weeks narrowed down I was torn over whether I wanted James or Haley to win .. Neither are there now .. Still, that being said, it was very clear to me very early on that Scotty had what it takes to get votes.

This season, to me, has been the most one-sided in terms of votes. It's been Scotty and everyone else since almost the very beginning. Like him or not, he's got a following. I expect him to do very well in the recording industry too .. Carrie Underwood good? Maybe, but I think the Jury is still out on taking it that far (although I'm sure many here will use terms like "No Way!" :lol:).

I did think James would make it to the final so I missed on that one. That being said, I still think that James' eye twitch is what kept him from getting more votes. He's not perfect either, but look at what happened to perfect singer Pia .. It's not about who sings the best .. It's about who is the most entertaining. Scotty entertains ...

I've been thoroughly entertained the entire season. I think my favorite of the year is this one:

be6dWz4LJ3A
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

Ah, your just saying that because she's a fellow "Peach";)

She's been one of my favorites. I wanted Thia to get farther, but she seemed to timid.

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:45 PM

I wanted Thia to go farther too .. She lives in the next town over.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

LAUREN - "Like My Mother Does": WOW!!! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I've already purchased this on iTunes... LOL!!! :) It's amazing what actual talent can do...

Didn't know it was already on there. Just downloaded my copy as well. :)

#48 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 04:59 PM

Don't get me wrong here .. While I don't despise Scotty like some people here, He's not at all my personal favorite.

For the record... I don't despise Scotty. I think he's probably a "good guy." I just don't think he can sing...

Sure, I've made a few cracks at him over the course of the season, but to me, it's the fact that I'd rather listen to two cats in heat go at it than listen to Scotty sing, an insult to the talented contestants they've had this year.

I may make fun of Taylor Hicks, but to be honest, I have some of his pre-Idol (I believe) recordings, and some of it's pretty darn good. While I don't think he should have won (or gone as far as he did), I actually enjoyed some of Taylor's performances, and find him to be CONSIDERABLY more talented than Scotty.

I thought Robbie deserved to be in the top 13 and short of his last week, should have been in instead of Stefano.

I probably would have put Robbie in place of Stefano, but I would have put Stefano in before Scotty or Jacob. I probably would have put Tim in before Robbie though...

It's not about who sings the best .. It's about who is the most entertaining. Scotty entertains ...

Making fun of the way he holds his microphone has been entertaining... but I honestly have yet to be that entertained by Scotty when he's singing. I'm usually in too much in pain to be entertained...

I've been thoroughly entertained the entire season. I think my favorite of the year is this one:

be6dWz4LJ3A

I'm not sure it's my FAVORITE, but definately ONE of my favorites. :)

~Alan

#49 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

Ah, your just saying that because she's a fellow "Peach";)

Nope...

I may have grown up in Georgia (I was born in TN), but I'm not exactly sentimental about it. That's not to say that there aren't things I like about the state, but if given a choice, it probably wouldn't be where I live.

That's also not to say that I'm not proud of the fact that Lauren is from here (and lives just down the road from the state I was born in... or the similarity in our initials... or even the fact that a relative of mine KNOWS Lauren and her family), but that it's something of a moot point when it comes to my personal feelings.

On the topic though, apparently Ashthon is from Georgia as well... Valdosta, which is only a couple of hours from me.

No... what I like about Lauren is that she's EXTREMELY talented. I think Pia and James deserved the AI title more than Lauren, because I don't think Lauren has reached her potential as much as Pia or James, but I think Lauren will do VERY well as an artist... and since Pia and James are no longer an option, and Lauren makes Scotty look like... well, look like Howdy Doody singing a song (no offense to Howdy who was a much stronger singer than Scotty).

I was happy with the results of "Dancing With The Stars" this season, and though I'm hopeful that tonight will be the same, I expect otherwise. Still, I know several people who haven't been voting this year who called in last night to vote for Lauren, so the troops have been rallied, and we will have put up a good fight against the legion of tween and teenage girls voting for Scotty.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 25 May 2011 - 05:35 PM.
Changed some of my wording....

#50 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,426 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:27 PM

Scotty is my pick

JACK,

#51 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

is it just me, or is the result show about as good as your local school's talent show? WOWWW - this is BAAAD.

#52 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,121 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

That skit they just did with James, Casey and Pia was pretty funny.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#53 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:15 PM

Well....I know at least one of these is an American Icon....uh...Idol.... :D

Posted Image

Might be the second Howdy Doody to win. Although nowhere near the voice of Clay.

Posted Image

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

And Clay lost the Finale to Ruben ...

#55 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:21 PM

Oh, yeah, I always forget about Ruben (as has most of America).

#56 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,121 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:27 PM

Clay barely outsold Ruben. 4.9 million (5 albums) to 2.5 million (4 albums) sold.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#57 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

you're being facetious?

#58 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,121 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:38 PM

you're being facetious?

Kinda...both are non existent much like all but 2 or 3 contestants.

#59 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

True, but Clay was also on Broadway and has done some TV work. I don't think I've heard Ruben's name since the night he won.

#60 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,121 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

True, but Clay was also on Broadway and has done some TV work. I don't think I've heard Ruben's name since the night he won.

Ruben was popular among Gospel singers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...